any idea why my machine doesn't "auto start"

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
docjl

any idea why my machine doesn't "auto start"

Post by docjl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:27 pm

hi
Our file cabinet is not in our new home yet and my machine books are in the file cabinet. So I'm wondering if anyone has a quick answer to what (didn't) happen last night.

My machine usually auto starts when I start to breathe in the tap pap pillows. This time, however, it did nothing. I started it by hand. I don't mind starting it this way, but I would like to know if there is a problem that needs addressed right now.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
doc

Pugsy

Re: any idea why my machine doesn't "auto start"

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:30 pm

What pressure are you starting the night at?
How long did you give it before you gave up and manually started the machine?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

docjl

Post by docjl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:40 pm

I haven't changed any settings, so it should be pressure at 6 and 15 min ramp.
I waited about 4 min...it never took more than 2 breaths.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:41 pm

docjl wrote:hi
Our file cabinet is not in our new home yet and my machine books are in the file cabinet. So I'm wondering if anyone has a quick answer to what (didn't) happen last night.

My machine usually auto starts when I start to breathe in the tap pap pillows. This time, however, it did nothing. I started it by hand. I don't mind starting it this way, but I would like to know if there is a problem that needs addressed right now.

doc
ONE time? Or has it happened more than once?
Could be a few possibilities, but consistency or some other circumstances may be factors.
I've had some of those inconsistent situations in the past with some of the older machines.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

docjl

Post by docjl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:45 pm

No. Just last night. Tried it twice with same results. So, I'm just over reacting- which is good! I'm heading out of state for awhile and didn't want to use a machine that shouldn't be used because something was wrong....does that make sense?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:48 pm

docjl wrote:No. Just last night. Tried it twice with same results. So, I'm just over reacting- which is good! I'm heading out of state for awhile and didn't want to use a machine that shouldn't be used because something was wrong....does that make sense?
From my point of view.......if it at least starts and stops when you push the button.......it's usable.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Is the ramp starting at 6 or at 4cm?

You might go into the clinical setup menu and confirm that Auto On is still set to "On".
You might try playing with higher pressures just to see if it is the lower pressure that is causing the machine to not sense your breathing.
You might try taking bigger, fuller, more forceful breaths to see if it kicks in like it is supposed to.

Like Den says...is this just the once that this happened or is it something that is consistently happening now and happens at higher pressures and simply won't start no matter how long you breathe.

Sometimes the Auto On feature of these machines have a little trouble sensing that a human is on the other end...especially with low pressures and nasal pillows. It's so common that ResMed has a trouble shooting tip for it. I haven't heard of the Respironics machines doing it all that much though.
I think if it were me I would test out higher pressures, after confirming that Auto On was indeed "On" and if it still wants to act up I might be taking it to the supplier because it could be a warning sign of an impending problem since it was a change from what or how things "used to work". The fact that things changed in general would cause concern.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

docjl

Post by docjl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks all.
Just didn't want to use it if that was a problem. As I said, I have no problem starting it manually!
Have a great evening!
doc

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:07 pm

If you haven't tried this yet, you might just unplug it for a bit and then plug it back in and see if that fixes it.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:14 pm

docjl wrote:Thanks all.
Just didn't want to use it if that was a problem. As I said, I have no problem starting it manually!
Have a great evening!
doc
you might try a power on reset... unplug it, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in... sometimes computers get confused, and there is a little computer inside those.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:56 pm

docjl wrote: My machine usually auto starts when I start to breathe in the tap pap pillows. This time, however, it did nothing. I started it by hand. I don't mind starting it this way, but I would like to know if there is a problem that needs addressed right now.

doc
How old is your PR System One machine? After about 5 years, mine started acting up and doing things like this. Things only got worse until the machine would only work if I unplugged it and plugged it back in to turn it on. None of my dials work and I can't access settings or reports.

Insurance typically pays for a new machine every 5 years or so. If you are getting close to that timeframe, it may be time to get the process started to get a new machine through insurance. It took me several months to actually get a new machine, with all the DME and insurance hassle.

If your machine is less than 2 years old, it should be covered by warranty and I would contact the place you purchased it promptly if problems persist. Your problem now isn't at the "critical" level since your machine still works. It just may be wearing out due to use and old age. Or today could be a fluke and it will work perfectly for another 10 years.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

old dude

Post by old dude » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:06 pm

I have three identical PRS1 machines, at at various times each of them has failed to autostart. Most times they work fine; sometimes they don't. Since all three of mine do it from time to time, I've just chalked it up to the vagaries of the machines. No biggie really, if it brainfarts on you just push the button and try again the next night. It'll probably be fine.