Why are people in denial?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yaconsult

Re: Why are people in denial?

Post by yaconsult » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:14 pm

SewTired wrote: I actually helped someone who had a cpap up for sale on Craiglist (I was considering buying it at the time). He took it off Craigslist and is now using it. It's unfortunate that they don't have cpap classes similar to the diabetes ones. The DME dropped all the Medicare patients when the Competitive Bid thing came through and they weren't grandfathered in.
I know what you mean. I've gotten two machines off craigslist so far and in both cases it was because the owners had been upgraded to newer and better machines, so I didn't need to convince them that they needed it and should keep it. I also told them about the forums and invited them to email me.

navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:48 pm

My girlfriend told me I snore in my sleep and stop breathing a year ago. I thought it was no big deal, I've been sleeping 34 years and haven't died yet. I continued to ignore it for a year and I think it has been getting worse. I have a hard time remembering things and I'm continuously tired. I just got my CPAP a few days ago and I'm still trying to get myself to a full night's sleep with it. I'm glad I started down the path and hope soon I can start feeling better.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:28 am

navyasw02 wrote:My girlfriend told me I snore in my sleep and stop breathing a year ago. I thought it was no big deal, I've been sleeping 34 years and haven't died yet. I continued to ignore it for a year and I think it has been getting worse. I have a hard time remembering things and I'm continuously tired. I just got my CPAP a few days ago and I'm still trying to get myself to a full night's sleep with it. I'm glad I started down the path and hope soon I can start feeling better.
Congratulations! It's really good that you're starting to treat it. We can help if any issues come up.

TexasTom

Post by TexasTom » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:55 am

I suspect everyone is pretty much in denile about sleep issues. My sleep doc's first thing was "bring your spouse"!

After my second sleep study (first was so off the normal chart Doc didn't believe it), it was pretty clear I had other issues than obstructive apnea! CPAP does help!

Lots of great folks on the board.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:31 am

Apnea contributes to T2 diabetes and obesity.
We need BILLBOARDS! "Which twin uses her CPAP?"