Firmware Updates for ResMed S9 Machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Papit

Firmware Updates for ResMed S9 Machines

Post by Papit » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:07 am

Krelvin wrote:
Papit wrote:Wow, green with envy. Software upgrades from ResMed. Very nice product enhancement.

For us older machine users, is there any guidance as to how we might go about finding firmware updates for the ResMed S9 product line? I'm not finding much via the search bar.
Basically there are none. The only way you could get a firmware update is if your machine goes into a service center and they happen to do that.

The over the air updates for the Airsense and Aircurve 10 line is a new feature.

Thanks, Krelvin. I thought I'd start a separate thread rather than distract from the one on the Airsense Upgrades.

That remote software updating feature for ResMed's new product lines is good progress for xpap machines. I hope it becomes a widespread standard for other manufacturers.

To my question, though, for starters does anybody know how to find out what the latest firmware version is for the S9's? I'd sure like to know what improvements any updates may have delivered to users of more recently produced S9 machines.

If we need to work through an authorized ResMed service center to get updated, it would be good to know in advance what version we have on our machines now and what version is the latest. I looked in my machine and see listed under Service beneath Run Hrs: SW SX474-1102, BID SX 525-0400, VID 16, RID 100, whatever all that means.

Again, the people in those service centers are probably the best source for that. So I went online to look and found several, for some reason, all listed in California. I'll make some calls, but wish there was one local to walk in and talk.

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

Krelvin

Re: Firmware Updates for ResMed S9 Machines

Post by Krelvin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:17 am

Papit wrote:That remote software updating feature for ResMed's new product lines is good progress for xpap machines. I hope it becomes a widespread standard for other manufacturers.
Their are pros and cons to just about every type of feature like that. One of the cons might be it can corrupt the firmware process making the machine unusable or change the firmware where the machine was a perfect fit and no longer is.

Imagine having a perfectly working machine and coming home and in the evening masking up and the machine doesn't work. How long does it take to get the machine corrected. A day, week, longer? don't work with a DME on a regular basis... perhaps not doable at all.

All of a sudden a cool feature is not so cool. Many also do not like the "modem" being on at all which is how the firmware is updated OR live in an area or country where it doesn't work at all.
To my question, though, for starters does anybody know how to find out what the latest firmware version is for the S9's? I'd sure like to know what improvements any updates may have delivered to users of more recently produced S9 machines.
You will only get that type of information by asking and people with different S9 machines may have different firmware levels.
If we need to work through an authorized ResMed service center to get updated, it would be good to know in advance what version we have on our machines now and what version is the latest.
Remember you are not the customer of Resmed, the DME's are.

The chances of you getting a firmware update for your S9 is slim to none. It is not in their business model to be doing that and if you want the latest and best, you need to look at the Airsense and Aircurve 10 line (if you think they are better).

BTW there are links on this forum of people comparing firmware levels... don't have them handy but you most likely can find them via google.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:38 am

My S9 works fine for me.... I haven't seen anything in the S-10 machines or the software programs that would inspire me to want to modify my machine.

I have essentially a zero hour S-9 machine standing in the wings if my primary machine acts up.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:41 am

Denial Dave wrote: I have essentially a zero hour S-9 machine standing in the wings if my primary machine acts up.
Not to divert the thead, but I wonder if it's okay to leave a machine sit for years and years without usage. I'm sure the electronics will be okay but how about the silicone parts that are compressed or under tension, as in the sensor ports and the tank seals/ports? On my PR machines, the humidifier stuff (three silicone seals) can all be disassembled easily and stored loose in a bag (which I've done). Also: there is often a circuit board battery that always in operation and is recharged as the machine runs. I know for cars there is a generally recommended procedure for storing them unused. Anyone have any thoughts on that

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:46 am

Denial Dave wrote:I haven't seen anything in the S-10 machines
There are no S-10 models/machines. Resmed has AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 models (even a often never heard of AirStart 10 machines). At best you might refer to them as A-10 models, but the S-10 is a Chevy truck which is not good as a CPAP machine.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Papit

Post by Papit » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:36 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Denial Dave wrote: I have essentially a zero hour S-9 machine standing in the wings if my primary machine acts up.
Not to divert the thead, but I wonder if it's okay to leave a machine sit for years and years without usage. I'm sure the electronics will be okay but how about the silicone parts that are compressed or under tension, as in the sensor ports and the tank seals/ports? . . . Also: there is often a circuit board battery that always in operation and is recharged as the machine runs. Anyone have any thoughts on that
If you know how and can get a few soft parts out easily --and put them back in quickly when you need your backup unit-- sounds like an ok idea, but I'm not sure there's much risk in them severely deforming. When you need that backup xpap though, you'll want it right away so I wouldn't go too deep into the machine. I'd be surprised if the mfr's use batteries that are even remotely like grocery store standard AA's and AAA's that do leak after awhile. Unless anybody has had specific battery leakage issues here, I'd leave them alone.

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:44 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Not to divert the thead, but I wonder if it's okay to leave a machine sit for years and years without usage. I'm sure the electronics will be okay but how about the silicone parts that are compressed or under tension, as in the sensor ports and the tank seals/ports? . . . Also: there is often a circuit board battery that always in operation and is recharged as the machine runs. Anyone have any thoughts on that
Wouldn't bother doing that. CPAP machines are designed to last a long time. Instead a backup machine should be taken out every quarter, plugged in for 24 hours or so and make sure it is working properly which should be enough usage for the purpose. Just like other standby equipment like UPS's, power systems, generators, water and food supplies.
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Krelvin wrote:
Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Wouldn't bother doing that. CPAP machines are designed to last a long time. Instead a backup machine should be taken out every quarter, plugged in for 24 hours or so and make sure it is working properly which should be enough usage for the purpose. Just like other standby equipment like UPS's, power systems, generators, water and food supplies.
or, keep one by the recliner and use it for naps.... or swap them out every month...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:03 pm

Papit wrote:
Sir NoddinOff wrote: I'd be surprised if the mfr's use batteries that are even remotely like grocery store standard AA's and AAA's that do leak after awhile. Unless anybody has had specific battery leakage issues here, I'd leave them alone.
My understanding of circuit board mounted batteries is that they are lithium ion batteries - long life and not prone to leaking. There have been lots of threads over the last ten years on CPAPtalk discussing these board mounted clock batteries (discussing replacements, failures, etc)

Type these phrases into your internet browsers search window... Google works good, so does Duck Duck Go.

site:cpaptalk.com S9 clock battery
site:cpaptalk.com Resmed clock battery (a different twist on the same search)

For PR machines try:

site:cpaptalk.com Phillips clock battery
site:cpaptalk.com Respironics clock battery

Also: http://www.batterymart.com/c-circuit-bo ... eries.html

You get the idea... there are lots of hits. Here's something to start with:
6PtStar wrote:The clock on Respirionics machines are not accessable by the user. They can only be reset by a repair station or the factory. I have heard that some DME's can do it but I have never found one but you might check. The machine is set to Greenwitch Mean Time and Encore Pro and your computer clock converts it to your time zone. The clock chip in the machine is not very good and looses a minute or so every month. Also as the battery gets weak it looses even more. The battery is generally good for 5 to 6 years but most of the legacy machines are getting almost that old so batteries are getting weak. Uses a BR2032 battery, soldered into the board. In order to reset the clock you have to have a "Sleep Link" card and cable. Also the diagnostic program to reset the clock also sets the pressure, installs the firmware, installs the serial number and accesses the error codes. You can see why Respirionics is not ready to let folks get their hands on this. You might try and offset your computer clock and see if this might work. OK, Wulfman beat me to it.
Jerry

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:21 pm

palerider wrote: or, keep one by the recliner and use it for naps.... or swap them out every month...
I like it... thinking outside the box again, Paierider!

The only downside is that if your house gets burgled and the thief knows the value of CPAP machines then... bonanza... a two-fer for the loser and no back-up for you for awhile

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:41 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Papit wrote: I'd be surprised if the mfr's use batteries that are even remotely like grocery store standard AA's and AAA's that do leak after awhile. Unless anybody has had specific battery leakage issues here, I'd leave them alone.
My understanding of circuit board mounted batteries is that they are lithium ion batteries - long life and not prone to leaking. There have been lots of threads over the last ten years on CPAPtalk discussing these board mounted clock batteries (discussing replacements, failures, etc)
the batteries on the s9 look like cr2032 lithium cells, though they've got a little foam pad over the top that I've never taken the time to remove. they're in a holder.

if I remember the one on the prs1-60 I opened up was a soldered in lithium coin cell.

as an aside, it takes about two and a half minutes to take a s9 completely apart, if I remember right

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:32 am

as I indicated, my back up S9 machine is essentially a zero hour machine.. it probably has about 100-200 hours of run time on it.

Most of which came from use when I took it on travel.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it's just fine.

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Not to divert the thead, but I wonder if it's okay to leave a machine sit for years and years without usage. I'm sure the electronics will be okay but how about the silicone parts that are compressed or under tension, as in the sensor ports and the tank seals/ports? On my PR machines, the humidifier stuff (three silicone seals) can all be disassembled easily and stored loose in a bag (which I've done). Also: there is often a circuit board battery that always in operation and is recharged as the machine runs. I know for cars there is a generally recommended procedure for storing them unused. Anyone have any thoughts on that

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison