Dealing with work and sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
valsedai

Dealing with work and sleep apnea

Post by valsedai » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:29 pm

How did you handle letting your employer know that you have sleep apnea, and what kind of accommodations did you need to be able to balance those days of work when you are fatigued, etc?

Noctuary

Re: Dealing with work and sleep apnea

Post by Noctuary » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:52 pm

I just have to live with it. Make sure I have access to plenty of caffeine.

Mask: Flexifit 407

webbie73

Post by webbie73 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:53 pm

I guess it depends on your job. If you are not driving or using heavy equipment and have for example an office type job, why would you tell your employer? It is your business.

ZZzseekerREM

Post by ZZzseekerREM » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:07 pm

x2

The time between when I was diagnosed and when I got my machine was not very long. Of course who knows how long I went with it being undiagnosed.

It would be very interesting to hear from people that had to leave/miss work or missed deadlines from having sleep apnea and being fatigued- with someone telling them that is why it happened and how their company responded to that.

icipher

Post by icipher » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Just two weeks ago, the power went out as i was going to bed and didn't come on for 4 hours. The following morning I was too tired to comfortably go into work, so I just emailed my manager and told him the situation regarding my apnea. He was cool with it. I took a PTO day and that was it.

ZZzseekerREM

Post by ZZzseekerREM » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:03 pm

This is a good read- see the article on Sleep Apnea and Employment Issues:

http://www.sleepapnea.org/assets/files/ ... su2006.pdf

Taking a PTO day now and then (when you have accrued paid time off hours) probably is not a big deal, but I'm sure it gets trickier when you ask for accommodations or modified work schedules. Or when you start missing enough days or being tardy enough for management to notice because of fatigue.
Last edited by ZZzseekerREM on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:32 pm

ZZzseekerREM wrote:
x2

The time between when I was diagnosed and when I got my machine was not very long. Of course who knows how long I went with it being undiagnosed.

It would be very interesting to hear from people that had to leave/miss work or missed deadlines from having sleep apnea and being fatigued- with someone telling them that is why it happened and how their company responded to that.
I have left early and have stayed home a few times because of fatigue. I don't get sick days or PTOs. I have to be careful.

Mask: Flexifit 407

valsedai

Post by valsedai » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:02 pm

I am at an IT job, and yes does seem to affect my getting to work on time aka tardiness at this job.

Between that or the fatigue that stays with me unless I am guzzling down my mio enegy water enhancer, and even then my body doesn't like caffeine all that much and then the crash and burn feeling from the after effects of the caffeine.

Everything is such a delicate balance. And I have been written up for the amount of time I have been absent as well. It just seems like crap, and trying to fire me for cause that's covered by the ADA.

ZZzseekerREM

Post by ZZzseekerREM » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Everything is such a delicate balance. And I have been written up for the amount of time I have been absent as well. It just seems like crap, and trying to fire me for cause that's covered by the ADA.
Have you notified them of your condition?

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:24 pm

I'm in senior IT and have to deal with CHF which causes a mobility issue. Had a sit down with my boss years ago and since I can do most if not all of my job remotely I just have a very moderated schedule.

I work two out of three days from home and arrive at the office typically around 10am when I do go in, but am on call pretty much 7x24 and logged in when I get up.

I have my OSA pretty much under control and as long as I schedule when I sleep to ensure I get enough hours, tiredness is not an issue. I do two sleep allot.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

rance22

Post by rance22 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:51 pm

I removed myself from work (airline pilot) till I get issue resolved. They were very supportive and glad I came fwd. to treat issue. I have been off for 2 months. Now that I have ASV I plan to return to work in next few weeks as my AHI has been below 3.0 for last 2 weeks and feeling much better.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Krelvin wrote: I do two sleep allot.
typical cat.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:26 pm

IF you have run of the mill OSA and you are using your PAP machine consistently, you should not need ANY work accommodations unless you are required to sleep on the job (i.e. firefighter).

Not everyone has "run of the mill OSA"--there may be other medical conditions (I.e. CHF mentioned above, neurological issues, etc.). In that case, if you need reasonable accommodations you need to inform your employer and ask for them under the Americans with Disabilities Act and your state's laws concerning disabilities.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm