Back sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AfibApnea

Back sleeping

Post by AfibApnea » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:57 pm

I recall that there have been a number of folk who have suggested that sleeping on one's back is not the preferred way sleep apneaists should sleep. I think there was some sort of acronym associated with sleeping on the back or what might happen when one does so.

Unfortunately, searching for the word "back" ('on back', 'back sleeping', 'one one's back', etc.) returns such a(n expected) multitude of hits it's ridiculous.

Can someone reiterate this 'thou should not sleep on your back...because..." view or lead me to a topic where it was discussed?

Thanks
PR S1 REMstar 60 Series BiPAP ASV Advanced & PR S1 with humidifier
Various Nasal masks or Nasal pillows
Software:

Julie

Re: Back sleeping

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Try 'sleeping positions and apnea'.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:19 pm

AfibApnea wrote:I recall that there have been a number of folk who have suggested that sleeping on one's back is not the preferred way sleep apneaists should sleep. I think there was some sort of acronym associated with sleeping on the back or what might happen when one does so.

Unfortunately, searching for the word "back" ('on back', 'back sleeping', 'one one's back', etc.) returns such a(n expected) multitude of hits it's ridiculous.

Can someone reiterate this 'thou should not sleep on your back...because..." view or lead me to a topic where it was discussed?

Thanks
It's called "supine" sleeping......or sleeping in the "supine" position.

Link to a forum search:

viewtopic/t104914/search.php?keywords=supine

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Darth Lady

Post by Darth Lady » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:24 pm

Basically, in a nutshell, back sleeping is best avoided because gravity can have its way with your tongue, uvula and rest of the back-of-throat area so much more easily in that position. You're much more likely to have an apnea or hypopnea in that situation. A few can even take care of their apea issue by staying off their backs (positional apnea), but for most, the major benefit is being able to reduce their treatment pressure if they can stay off their backs.

JV1967

Post by JV1967 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Darth Lady wrote:Basically, in a nutshell, back sleeping is best avoided because gravity can have its way with your tongue, uvula and rest of the back-of-throat area so much more easily in that position. You're much more likely to have an apnea or hypopnea in that situation. A few can even take care of their apea issue by staying off their backs (positional apnea), but for most, the major benefit is being able to reduce their treatment pressure if they can stay off their backs.
OT, but Darth Lady, have you had any problems with your mask? I have the same one, and last night it left one heck of a mark on the left side of my nose, and it hurts. I purchased some mask liners from cpap.com, to try out because of this. I'm hoping I can keep this mask, because it's lightweight, and I can wear my glasses with it on. I have been washing it daily, but I'm thinking that maybe my face got greasy in my sleep. My room was a bit too warm last night, and that's when the problem started. Going to turn down the heat a bit, too. By the way, I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but you have an amazing avatar!
AirCurve10 ASV Bilevel, with Humidifier. F&P Simplus FFM. Using Sleepyhead software.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:43 pm

For some people, the OSA is much worse when they are on their back (supine sleeping), but the point of the titration is to find a pressure that is sufficient to eliminate or come close to eliminating the events that occur when you're sleeping on your back. So if your PAP machine's pressure is set high enough to splint your airway open when you are sleeping on your back, there's nothing particularly wrong with sleeping on your back while using a CPAP.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:02 pm

I have severe apnea but my base pressure of 13 is enough that sleeping on my back is not an issue. The sleep study confirmed that my apnea doesn't vary much with position.

Darth Lady

Post by Darth Lady » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:05 pm

JV1967 wrote:
Darth Lady wrote:Basically, in a nutshell, back sleeping is best avoided because gravity can have its way with your tongue, uvula and rest of the back-of-throat area so much more easily in that position. You're much more likely to have an apnea or hypopnea in that situation. A few can even take care of their apea issue by staying off their backs (positional apnea), but for most, the major benefit is being able to reduce their treatment pressure if they can stay off their backs.
OT, but Darth Lady, have you had any problems with your mask? I have the same one, and last night it left one heck of a mark on the left side of my nose, and it hurts. I purchased some mask liners from cpap.com, to try out because of this. I'm hoping I can keep this mask, because it's lightweight, and I can wear my glasses with it on. I have been washing it daily, but I'm thinking that maybe my face got greasy in my sleep. My room was a bit too warm last night, and that's when the problem started. Going to turn down the heat a bit, too. By the way, I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but you have an amazing avatar!
Oooh, thanks!

I'm sure that sweat/oil on the face can't possibly help the mask situation, the same way that a sweaty saddle pad can give a horse saddle sores. I'm not looking forward to summer here, with our anemic air conditioners. Cooler is definitely better. Also, if you haven't had this mask for very long, and/or you never got a proper fitting session, it is possible that you need a different size cushion.

I use mask liners - Remzzz and Padacheek both make good ones. I'm hoping they will really earn their keep in the summer, acting as a buffer between the skin and the mask cushion.

There's another possibility - what kind of pillow are you sleeping on? If you sleep on your side on a regular pillow, the cushioning in it doesn't adapt to the mask. It just pushes back, pushing the mask into the side of the face. You might not notice too much on a regular night, unless it causes leaks, but if you get hot, the pressure plus your sweat might produce a sore. I use a buckwheat hull pillow (you can shove out a hollow for the mask and the hollow will stay, and the hulls adapt to your changing position as well), and there are several memory foam models out there with cutouts on the sides for the mask. You might want to try one of these options.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:59 pm

How about this as an epigram:

Sleeping on your back leads to sleeping in a box

bdz

Post by bdz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:10 pm

I have gone to extreme measures to prevent myself from sleeping on my back over the years. Tennis balls, that big C-pillow for pregnant women...I would still find myself on my back. Then I experienced a L1 compression fracture making sleeping on my back the most comfortable position for me.

I discovered by sleeping in a recliner, that by raising the head of my bed, I do much better. My pressure can be kept down as that higher pressure just caused major leaks. An adjustable bed made it possible. Using pillows was an unstable option.

Additional Comments: Luckily the Oracle is not flimsy. Bought several. Thanks to JDS74, I have lots of inner flaps.
Peace begins with each of us as individuals

AfibApnea

Post by AfibApnea » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:06 pm

OSA ?
PR S1 REMstar 60 Series BiPAP ASV Advanced & PR S1 with humidifier
Various Nasal masks or Nasal pillows
Software:

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:26 pm

AfibApnea wrote:OSA ?
Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

dragon672

Post by dragon672 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:13 am

I can't sleep any other way but on my back. I tried sleeping on my stomach and felt even with my CPAP mask on that I couldn't breathe. I can't sleep on my sides when I wake up in the morning my hands are completely numb.