Newbie here looking forward to feeling better with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Scooter32

Newbie here looking forward to feeling better with CPAP

Post by Scooter32 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Just figure I'd make a quick introduction here. Nicknames Scooter and I just been recently diagnosed with moderate Sleep apnea. For many years I have always complained to my doctor about being tired and having very little energy coupled with just general muscle aches and feeling like garbage. Having moved around a bunch I went through several doctors but my current doctor was the first to suggest sleep issues that could be the cause. Had my first sleep study about a week ago and actually got just shy of 6 hours of sleep during it and found to have Moderate Sleep apnea according to the tech. Supposedly I had an apnea or reduced airflow event 146 times in that to average 26/hr. She also said I had moderate oxygen desaturation and mild to harsh continuous snoring. I was able to get my second sleep study with CPAP the other night and didn't yet get the results. I didn't sleep nearly as well since I woke up and wasn't able to get back for several hours. Sleep tech actually let me sleep in till 7:30 AM to get more of a test in.

Think I tolerated CPAP pretty well as I chose a full face mask since I constantly have sinus congestion and thought that's what I'd be using at home. Must say it feels weird the first time but I think I got used to it quick. Must say even though I got maybe half my normal amount of sleep, I felt twice as rested after and actually good that next day. Too early I am sure but atleast it seems like something positive to look forward to after hearing a bunch of negatives. Still waiting for my prescription then picking out equipment and such but just wanted to say hello.

purple

Re: Newbie here looking forward to feeling better with CPAP

Post by purple » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Great, and Welcome. If you have not already read it. I suggest you read:

Shoot. I wanted to give you the link to JanKnitz, "What you need to know before you meet your DME." however, the link is not working.

Usually the link is: http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what-y ... me-part-i/

Hope it is back in a awhile.

oak

Post by oak » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:37 pm

welcome Scooter! hope you find this forum as helpful as I have. Be careful about what equipment you get from the DME. you can read many posts about it. you need to get a machine with full data capability.

Scooter32

Post by Scooter32 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome and information Purple and Oak. The link worked and it's actually scary, DME's sound as bad as a used car salesman. I looked and supposedly my insurance provides 90 for "DME" equipment, though I am not sure on the codes to look up to see how much is offered to what system. I will watch out for the upcharge and make sure to make copies of my prescription. Thanks!

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Scooter32 wrote:Think I tolerated CPAP pretty well as I chose a full face mask since I constantly have sinus congestion and thought that's what I'd be using at home.
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on getting tested. I also started with a full face mask because my sinuses were always plugged up. I never could get any of the full face masks to work well because of how my cheek bones are curved. They would either seal at the top or the bottom, but not both top and bottom, at least not unless I tightened them down so hard that I got welts. I ended up trying a nasal pillow mask (Swift LT), and it was like a miracle cure. Not only did it help my sleep, but the airflow up my nose kept my sinuses open. For the first time in memory, I was able to breathe through my nose. Even if CPAP didn't help my sleep, having open sinuses and being able to breathe using my nose is worth using CPAP. Something to consider...

-john-

Scooter32

Post by Scooter32 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:55 pm

I had a few little red marks from using the mask (for just one night) so perhaps it is something I can look into. I never thought that having the airflow up the nose would keep things unblocked. I worry that I am also a mouth breather though but she said I did spend a considerable amount of time breathing through my nose. Could be something worth looking into. Do they normally let you only choose a single mask at a time?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 pm

If you can afford it (at least the return insurance Cpap.com offers), you can buy as many as you like, but if you can try out some without having to buy them that would be better of course. I think most of us have a box or drawerful of different ones that didn't work for some reason!