Cpap not working?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepywolf

Cpap not working?

Post by sleepywolf » Tue May 28, 2013 6:34 pm

It's been a long road. Been ing a college student pre being diagnosed with sleep apnea was terrible. I couldn't focus and was always tired. Needless to say my grades suffered. I finally got my machine and was so pumped. I want through 3 different masks. But I'm a mouth breather so I needed the full mask. Since using it my nose has a painful red mark on it (lol). I feel that the machine hasn't worked on me at all. Is there a trick or encourage anyone can offer?

Kate M

Re: Cpap not working?

Post by Kate M » Tue May 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Welcome, Sleepywolf!

There are LOTS of tricks and encouragement to be found here First, if your mask is leaving a painful red mark (most likely a pressure sore!) either the mask does not fit and you should be using a different mask or different size mask or you have to adjusted too tight over the nose.

If you go into your profile and list what equipment you have and what your settings are it will help people here to help you. Also if your machine collects data, it would help for you to post a screen capture of some recent data here. There are some pretty smart folks here (them, not me lol) that can look at that data and help you figure out why you are not feeling mo' betta'!

Blessings,

Kate

On Waking by John O'Donohue
I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Tue May 28, 2013 6:53 pm

WELCOME!

We can definitely help. As Kate mentioned, please post your equipment (preferably in your profile) as well as your pressure setting(s). We can give better advice knowing this info. Collectively, we've been through it all.

As far as the full face mask goes, sores on the nose (bridge?) seem fairly common. I could be a bad fit (too tight). Alternatively, you could put a strip of mole hair on it, or better yeat, get a Pad-a-Cheek liner. Here's the website: http://padacheek.com/. Very soft, comfy liners for most masks.

Good luck and you've come to the right place for help.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 pm

I think that our CFO had a bit too much caffeine today.

I should be moleskin -- a thin membrane found in the foot supplies section of most stores, and not
mole hair -- found on the bodies of most moles.
jeff

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Tue May 28, 2013 7:15 pm

HAHA! Sorry for that - but not editing for a good laugh.

Stanley56

Post by Stanley56 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:25 pm

I am also a mouth breather and had the same problem with nose sores. I now have a permanent scar on the bridge of my nose. The Hybrid mask has been a life saver for me. Click on the link under my equipment to check it out.

sleepywolf

Post by sleepywolf » Wed May 29, 2013 7:57 am

I have a ResMed S9 with the following features: Autoset, Elite, Escape Autom Escape, and H5i. My mask is a small Mirage Quattro with medium head gear. I did try some moleskin (molehair lol) but it caused leaks. I am ordering a pad a check today and the hybred mask looks epic.

sleep report
Period 1 month
Days > 4hrs 20/30
Avg. Usage 4.1 hrs
Used hrs 119.9 hrs

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 am

caffeinatedcfo wrote:WELCOME!

We can definitely help. As Kate mentioned, please post your equipment (preferably in your profile) as well as your pressure setting(s). We can give better advice knowing this info. Collectively, we've been through it all.

As far as the full face mask goes, sores on the nose (bridge?) seem fairly common. I could be a bad fit (too tight). Alternatively, you could put a strip of mole hair on it, or better yeat, get a Pad-a-Cheek liner. Here's the website: http://padacheek.com/. Very soft, comfy liners for most masks.

Good luck and you've come to the right place for help.
Mole hair - really??? I've got plenty of moles in my yard, can you help me catch them so I can donate that hair?
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Wed May 29, 2013 11:57 am

If anyone is buying moles, please let me know. I have a dachshund mix dog who is superb at catching them. I just didn't know there was a demand for them.

TheWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

imfletch

Post by imfletch » Wed May 29, 2013 12:15 pm

I had the exact same problem with the pressure sore on the bridge of my nose. There is now a permanent scar there. Interestingly, it was the Mirage Quattro that did it to me as well. I tried moleskin, I tried the Gecko gel strip, I tried bandages, the problem just kept getting worse. In the end, the only solution was when I switched to another mask. I switched to the Mirage Liberty (a hybrid) and used that until I could learn to stop breathing through my mouth (which took about a month). Once my brain learned it no longer needed to breathe through the mouth to survive, the habit ended. At that point, I switched to the light-as-a-feather Swift LT nasal pillows and never looked back. This may or may not be your ultimate solution, but don't give up. Rest assured, there IS a solution. Don't spend too much time trying to make the Quattro work - pressure sores can get pretty nasty.
Jim Fletcher

Reach me at: imfletch@mediacombb.net

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 29, 2013 5:34 pm

sleepywolf wrote: I have a ResMed S9 with the following features: Autoset, Elite, Escape Autom Escape, and H5i.
These aren't features...they are machine model names.
What does your machine say up by the on/off button next to the LCD screen?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Wed May 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Hahaha! I knew my mistake would generate some fun responses.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Wed May 29, 2013 11:26 pm

Hey, at least no one is making a mountain out of a mole hair... I mean molehill
(sorry, I could not resist saying it, though I really did try )

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright