Gas in stomache

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kel1!

Gas in stomache

Post by Kel1! » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm trying to use my cpap, but I have awful stomach pain. I tried taping my mouth shut and I still had bad gas. Can anyone please help me?

Pugsy

Re: Gas in stomache

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:03 pm

It's called aerophagia and is quite common.
Read about it here where they talk about some things to try to reduce it.
wiki/index.php/Aerophagia

For more specific ideas we need to know what equipment you are using and what pressure you are using and are you using any exhale relief?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:13 pm

I've been a FF user for almost one year. One of the first side-effects I noticed upon arising in the morning was feeling like I weighed 50 pounds heavier. After 15-20 minutes, however, I flatulated all the air out (mostly while in the shower) and all has been well.

This still happens now and then but, in my mind, a very benign phenomenon compared to all the decades of lousy sleep in my pre-CPAP life.

Best wishes!

ptl4now

Post by ptl4now » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:00 am

I have no idea what is happening with you, but I can tell you what happened to my mom.

She had gastric bypass surgery, weightloss surgery. She didnt need her c-pap anymore, only she didn't know it. She had lots of gas and was full of air until she figured out to stop using her c-pap, as her apneas went away with the weight.

You haven't by any chance lost a lot of weight recently, have you?

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:11 pm

I get a touch of this occasionally - especially if I sleep an extended period on my side.

One thing that helps me (but not my wife) is to bring my knees up to my chest, hold them there, and gently rock from side to side for 20-30 seconds. This gets the air moving through the intestines and well ... out!

Snufkin

Post by Snufkin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Had a huge problem with this myself, to the point of waking up after a few hours so uncomfortable that I couldn't continue to use the mask the rest of the night. This was enough for my doc to prescribe a bi-level machine (pressure changes depending on whether I'm breathing in or out), and that greatly reduced the problem. I still get it a bit, but I can totally live with it now.