Travel/Hotel Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Captain_Midnight

Re: Travel/Hotel Question

Post by Captain_Midnight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Each morning, I repack my machine and mask (wrapped in a clean washcloth) back into its carry case, which is, inturn in a backpack. I leave the transformer out, no big deal there. Only takes a minute. I rarely humidify, and if I did, I still wouldn't take that extra equip to travel.

One time at a 4 star hotel in Hawaii, I found this remarkably cute lizard crawling on the nightstand before I reset all my xpap equipment for the evening. That alone told me that daytime removal was an excellent idea.

A few other tips while traveling. Always bring a spare filter or two. If you lose one, it can get interesting. And, if your mask has any little clips, try to bring an extra or so.

When going through the TSA xray, have your machine in an extra exterior plastic bag (supermarket bag, or similar). And just toss the bag after the xray inspection. When you think of all the icky pathogens that are just teeming on that conveyor belt (from the soles of others' shoes, etc) you do not want your nice clean machine to get contaminated. Plastic bags? They are a good thing.

Some folks do the xpap routine aboard airliners, and that's fine w me. I have never considered using xpap on an airliner. I just stay awake.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:38 am

Denial Dave wrote:all of the RESMED masks that I got from my DME came in a blue drawstring cloth bag and large plastic bags. Some of the plastic bags had a ziplock top.

The Quattro Air that I received from Cpap.com came in a ziplock plastic bag, but did not have a drawstring cloth bag.

Plus when the DME gave me my machine, it came with a briefcase size travel for my RESMED S9 machine, humidifier, etc....... there are compartments in there for my mask and bag..

I've been using those blue cloth & ziplock bags to store my masks in while traveling & while at hotels.

Dave
Same here. I have the briefcase style bag with my mask inside the pouch inside that bag. Extra filters too (I store them in there anyway). I always bring an extra cushion too, even if it is a used one. Just in case.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:52 am

When I went through the TSA a couple of weeks ago. I just popped my CPAP, still in the bag, on the XRAY. They never asked to open it or take it out.
-tino

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:01 am

Captain_Midnight wrote:Each morning, I repack my machine and mask (wrapped in a clean washcloth) back into its carry case, which is, inturn in a backpack. I leave the transformer out, no big deal there. Only takes a minute. I rarely humidify, and if I did, I still wouldn't take that extra equip to travel.
This practice would make it likely that I would forget to pack the transformer.
jeff

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks again for all the responses!

The hotel night stand was slightly higher than the mattress and was very smooth. I remembered someone here used the drawer - which I did. Everything worked out great.