Solution to Qauttro FX FF mask riding up into eyes. Chk NEW?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
simplyme

Solution to Qauttro FX FF mask riding up into eyes. Chk NEW?

Post by simplyme » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:18 am

Hi all thought I would share my home made solution to stop my Quattro Fx FF mask from riding up into my eyes. Image
Fairly self explanatory from the above photo, I took a strapp from an old mask and looped it around the bottom straps of my Quattro mask. It is not tight just snug enough to keep the mask in place. It works great, way less waking up to adjust my mask. Also notice my super high tech padding to reduce face iritation, no expense spared.
Last edited by simplyme on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kenwood

Re: Solution to Qauttro FF mask riding up into eyes.

Post by Kenwood » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:45 am

Hmmmm....might have to try this when I get my 2nd headgear mailed to me. I also have a problem with my ComfortBlue FF mask ridding up into my eyes. Some mornings my lower eyes are sooo puffy - I feel every blink.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 am

just a suggstion

you might want to modify your original posting.... this applies to the Quattro FX and not the Quattro with the forehead piece

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

John from Brookston

Post by John from Brookston » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 am

That's great. When they titrated me, we started out with a FX, but it kept climbing up my nose and leaking. I'd wake up, pull it back down, rinse, lather, repeat. So we went to the Quattro with the forehead brace.
I really liked the FX, I thought an under-the-chin strap would have made it perfect.

Last edited by John from Brookston on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big fat guy who's diabetic, on HRT, and now a heart attack survivor as well as having OSA (boy, I sure won the genetic rodeo, din't I?). Ham Radio operator and I have a black tomcat named "Bart" who looks like an old prize fighter.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:54 am

It makes one wonder whether the manufacturers ever interview users of their products..... That chin strap you set up looks like a great idea! The strap looks like the chin strap from the PR FullLife FF mask! -- Which ....keeps the FullLife from riding up and breaking the seal with movement.....

The riding up problem seems to be a big issue with the QFX unfortunately. Very comfortable, but moves up and leaks with movement, especially for side or stomach sleepers.

Now go and get a patent! Quick!

simplyme

Post by simplyme » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Denial Dave wrote:just a suggstion you might want to modify your original posting.... this applies to the Quattro FX and not the Quattro with the forehead piece Dave
Thanks Dave, left that out by accident.
hyperlexis wrote:It makes one wonder whether the manufacturers ever interview users of their products..... That chin strap you set up looks like a great idea! The strap looks like the chin strap from the PR FullLife FF mask! -- Which ....keeps the FullLife from riding up and breaking the seal with movement.....
The riding up problem seems to be a big issue with the QFX unfortunately. Very comfortable, but moves up and leaks with movement, especially for side or stomach sleepers.
Now go and get a patent! Quick!
I know, it's not rocket science, just ask the people who use the things what they want…
Hmm, patent pending on one strap canibalized from old mask, heehee!

As John mentioned, the FF with forhead bar was my other option. Forhead bars are a great idea on paper but not necessarily in real life. They never adjust just right for my face, the old too tight too loose issue... plus I always get headaches from anything on my forhead, even just a hat! I'm odd I know. Side sleepers definately need a little more mask stability to avoid being awakened every time you move.

DEXSUZ

Re: Solution to Qauttro FX FF mask riding up into eyes.

Post by DEXSUZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Thank you, "simp". I don't complain much about the FX riding up my face but my wife has said several times that she'll hear a gentle whoosh from the mask's bottom when it does. Any noise the FX makes is minor compared to what the QM created. I loved the mask but detested the fart-like explosions it made when the slightest mid-sleep adjustments took place.

Heck, if a simple strap will now cure this problem we're all in tall corn.

Again, thanks!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:14 pm

This is a great idea. I only use the quatro if I have a cold but I have the same problem, plus my chin falls out of the mask if I roll onto my back.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:22 pm

smart move, whatever works.

sleeptimeinNY

Post by sleeptimeinNY » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 pm

This looks interesting! Thank you for posting it. I just might try it. But I think my biggest problem with the Quattro is the leaks.

I am curious ... how did you modify the mask cushion?

Ruth

simplyme

Post by simplyme » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 pm

sleeptimeinNY wrote:This looks interesting! Thank you for posting it. I just might try it. But I think my biggest problem with the Quattro is the leaks.
I am curious ... how did you modify the mask cushion?
Ruth
Oh boy! Anyone who makes these masks would cringe at what I have done to the thing!
Well first let me just mention that my big issue with this mask was that it pinched my nose, making it even harder to breathe! But overall I liked the design, so I set out to tweak it little by little.
First I cut the sturdy inner silicone support on each side of the nose until it no longer pinched my nostrils shut. Then I found that it needed more support around the nose area (go figure ) so I fit a little piece of neoprene into the space between the inner silicone support and the thin silicone skirt that goes on the face. -see photo the neoprene is the blue thing... click on thumbnails to enlarge photos
ImageImage Image
This gave the perfect support without any pinching. I used a needle and thread to put a few stiches to hold it in (making sure not to poke any holes in the thin outer skirt, that would really cause air leaks! ) -see photo with mask turned inside out above...
Lastly I cut three tiny little slits in the silicone skirt at the bridge of the nose, this was because it was causing a sore red stripe accross my nose.
So that is it except I also use a little piece of cloth under the mask for comfort and to reduce leaks. The cloth is a sport shirt type material so it has a little stretch and is a tighter weave than tshirt material.
I am crazy perhaps, but it works for me, and it is satisfying to make something that works.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Lab rat trophy award....
I can't edit Rested Gal's list because it is hers but this deserves to be here.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15104&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

So I am going to resurrect the old thread so that we can put new awards in that thread.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

simplyme

Post by simplyme » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:47 am

Thanks Pugsy! I am going to have to check out all those other "lab rats" fixes… I'm interested to see how many others have butchered their masks.
What is that saying "necessity is the mother of all invention"?

Edit- I love some of the fixes people have come up with! I'm definately going to remember to use the luggage handle hose hanger by jkmnop, on vacation. I usually have my machine on a table near my waist and that would not always be possible in a motel, having the option to hang the hose is great! viewtopic.php?p=207316
I like feeling_better's remote on off switch idea but I am not electronically gifted or competent.
I am heading to the hardware store to get the parts for Ted_S's hose covers to keep out bugs. I'm making 3 of them, two for the hose and one for the outlet on the machine. We are heading into spring here in the northeast and bugs, espacial wasps get to be a problem this time of year… viewtopic.php?p=41975 only one problem with this lab rat fix, I actually will have to buy something
Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

dlanbro

Post by dlanbro » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 am

SimplyMe, you should call yourself Simply Brilliant. I just started on my CPAP a little over a month ago and was just telling my doctor yesterday that the FX mask rides up my nose. Since I don't have an old head gear I'm going to see about getting something simular at Walmart. I think they sell velcro strips. Lovely idea. As far as a patent, you know some of the best ideas that make a huge amount of money are the little comforts that improve people's lives. Go for it!

Insopitus

Post by Insopitus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:27 am

Hi simply me,

Can you advise me how I should obtain the sport shirt material? Should I be looking for some kind of cotton shirt, polyester, wool, etc? What specific material do you use? Can it be obtained in a dry goods store?

I congratulate you for your great ideas.