Tap Pap - will anyone be purchasing this to give it a try?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Re: Tap Pap - will anyone be purchasing this to give it a try?

Post by 49er » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:Well....the Tap Pap is taking the scenic route from Stafford, TX to Houston to SW Missouri by way of Kansas City at 10 AM this morning. So looks like we have to wait a bit longer for me to try it. Darn it. Any other time its a 2 day trip easy.
Catnap wrote: I clench my teeth at night, and I wonder if it might help some with that.
I have recently begun to suspect that I might be doing a bit of clenching...even find myself doing it sometimes during the day for some reason and my TMJ is telling me that maybe I shouldn't be doing that.
I had toyed with the idea of getting a little mouth guard anyway.

I showed my husband the Tap Pap and explained how it was supposed to work. He rolled his eyes said he doesn't see how the nasal pillows will stay in my nose with my tossing and turning. Of course I will try extra hard to prove him wrong.
For some reason or other he doesn't have a lot of faith in me keeping my mouth shut....can't imagine why.
I would like to be a fly in the wall at your house

All jokes aside, I greatly look forward to hearing about your experience with this mask. I think I am intrigued because there is a way more expensive version for folks who decide to have the combination pap/dental device treatment.

49er

49er

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:18 pm

And, I was thinking that when I'm eligible to get a new mask from DME that I was going to try asking for the CPAP Pro, because I think I've had it with my headgear issues...

Though Tap Pap might be more what I want...since I route hose over my head normally... Though since Return Insurance is included....I'm tempted to not wait for free mask from insurance (I've met my out of pocket maximum for the year already.)

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

73 de W0LKC

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:11 pm

I want my hubby to try the Tap Pap, I think it might be good for him. I would like to try, but not until I find out how the new dental appliances I need to get will affect the upper mouth tray. Hopefully Pugsy's review will give us all an idea of how the Tap Pap works & I can make an educated decision from that. Now, I've got to talk my hubby into trying, I think the 'over the head' thing will work well for him, since he already routes his hose overhead. I'm not sure about that part, I don't know about being able to read with that over my head...another thing to consider.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 pm

jencat824 wrote:I think the 'over the head' thing will work well for him, since he already routes his hose overhead. I'm not sure about that part, I don't know about being able to read with that over my head...another thing to consider.
I don't really care for the over the head routing myself as in using something like the hose buddy system but I do lay the hose around my bed pillow and on the mattress so that it comes down over my head that way.
The video of the guy in bed shows the hose on the mattress going around the bed pillow when side sleeping. So that I already do.

You know it was just a couple of weeks ago that I was thinking that it sure would be nice if we only had to stuff the nasal pillows on our nose and just hold them there and not have to use headgear or the Bella Loops. I have actually done something like that when I wake up and not quite ready to get up....just slip the headgear off and hold the pillows in place with my hand while on my side.
Obviously wouldn't work all night but for 30 minutes I can usually stay in one position.

The mouth guard thing...I have never ever used one. Of course I have a small mouth with zero room for wisdom teeth (so they got removed) and a once size fits all mouth guard makes me a bit nervous but nothing ventured nothing gained so I will give it a go.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

tetragon

Post by tetragon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Catnap wrote:I thought about that, too, but I clench my teeth at night, and I wonder if it might help some with that. My dentist insists there is no bite splint in the world I can use with a CPAP mask (not sure I believe that, but for the time being I am doing without one, to my teeth's detriment).
I wouldn't believe that, given that my current nighttime accoutrements include a Swift FX, a removable space maintainer (similar to a retainer), and the NTI my dentist had made because he thinks I grind my teeth. It even has a groove in it that my teeth ground into it. My dentist knows I use CPAP, and the one issue I had was that the NTI did originally cause problems with keeping my mouth closed. My dentist then ground off some of the NTI's thickness, which made it so that I could close my lips. I needed a chinstrap at the beginning to reduce mouthleak, but once I got used to it, I can go without the chinstrap (but I still wear it just in case).

park_ridge_dave

Post by park_ridge_dave » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:16 am

tetragon wrote:
Catnap wrote:I thought about that, too, but I clench my teeth at night, and I wonder if it might help some with that. My dentist insists there is no bite splint in the world I can use with a CPAP mask (not sure I believe that, but for the time being I am doing without one, to my teeth's detriment).
I wouldn't believe that, given that my current nighttime accoutrements include a Swift FX, a removable space maintainer (similar to a retainer), and the NTI my dentist had made because he thinks I grind my teeth. It even has a groove in it that my teeth ground into it. My dentist knows I use CPAP, and the one issue I had was that the NTI did originally cause problems with keeping my mouth closed. My dentist then ground off some of the NTI's thickness, which made it so that I could close my lips. I needed a chinstrap at the beginning to reduce mouthleak, but once I got used to it, I can go without the chinstrap (but I still wear it just in case).
I have received mine (TAP PAP) and will start testing Monday. The clincher was the free return insurance.

I presently use a Quattro FF with a mouthguard for Bruxing (tooth grinding) protection. My dentist also had to "fit my guard "around" my facemask problems.

I am also a "mouth breather" so I will see if I can find a TAP PAP chinstrap (shown in their literature) if I can't train myself to keep my big mouth shut. Seriously, the reason I am even willing to try this thing is the fitted mouthpiece. Since I have to wear a mouthguard anyway, I thought it might help. Another reason is that I am running my top pressure at 13.5 cm because I have problems with leaks above that pressure. I would like to try 15 cm (I now have an auto machine) but the leaks are a real problem (Mouth guard issues here too).

So anyway, I am sure that if all of us fellow "lab rats" will give this puppy a good wringing out.

Cheers,

Dave

Let's be careful out there! Because no matter where you go..... There you are :lol:

park_ridge_dave

Post by park_ridge_dave » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:38 am

One other thing RE: this mask.

Does anyone know where we can order the matching chinstrap? It's listed in the instructions as PN PAP000400. I didn't find it listed on the CPAP.com site.

I am a total "mouth breather" so I need a chinstrap anyway. Theirs looks like it would be a real good fit.

Cheers,

Dave

Let's be careful out there! Because no matter where you go..... There you are :lol:

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:54 am

park_ridge_dave wrote:One other thing RE: this mask.

Does anyone know where we can order the matching chinstrap? It's listed in the instructions as PN PAP000400. I didn't find it listed on the CPAP.com site.

I am a total "mouth breather" so I need a chinstrap anyway. Theirs looks like it would be a real good fit.

Cheers,

Dave
Is there an order form in the warranty information? I didn't see anything on the net.

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:09 am

Pugsy wrote:The mouth guard thing...I have never ever used one. Of course I have a small mouth with zero room for wisdom teeth (so they got removed) and a once size fits all mouth guard makes me a bit nervous but nothing ventured nothing gained so I will give it a go.
I'm wondering just how the mouth guard attaches to the teeth well enough to prevent the whole thing from falling out of the mouth.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:11 am

jonnybee wrote: I'm wondering just how the mouth guard attaches to the teeth well enough to prevent the whole thing from falling out of the mouth.
From the looks of it after the boil and bite thing is done it appears to be a pretty snug fit.
Videos here
https://www.youtube.com/user/TAPAppliance?feature=watch

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:34 am

Park Ridge Dave, do you manage with an ordinary chin strap or do you puff air out of your mouth even with your jaw closed?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

park_ridge_dave

Post by park_ridge_dave » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:48 am

SleepingUgly wrote:Park Ridge Dave, do you manage with an ordinary chin strap or do you puff air out of your mouth even with your jaw closed?
I don't really know as I have not used a regular chin strap. But, at least TAP PAP came with a Manufacturer's free return (30 days) so I felt that I'd try it. I realize that it is "iffy" but what the hey????

I do have to use the anti-bruxing guard anyway, so, I think that this may be an easier solution, Only time will tell.

If it works, I am way ahead, by my estimation. If not, I'm no worse off.

Just my 2cents worth.

Cheers,

Dave

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 am

park_ridge_dave wrote:I don't really know as I have not used a regular chin strap.
Ah, I see you use a full face mask. Yes, you wouldn't know unless you'd used a nasal mask or pillows + a chinstrap. I am waiting to hear if you mouth leak without a chinstrap with the Tap Pap, so be sure and post!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Catnap

Post by Catnap » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am

tetragon wrote:
Interesting! Thank you. I'm going to get a second opinion from another dentist. I had a small "bow-tie" splint that my current dentist made, but it transferred all the force to my front teeth (it fits only over the front four teeth), which was moving my teeth and causing quite a bit of pain. When I declined to keep using it, current dentist was like "Oh well, out of luck."