New to CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
luvmykatz

New to CPAP

Post by luvmykatz » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi. I am new to the forum. I've been on CPAP for almost 3 weeks. My pressure is 15. I was put on a Fisher-Paykel 233 with heated humidifier and Aclaim mask at my doctor's office. I wasn't given any choices on machines or masks. I didn't like the mask in the office when I was fitted and asked about nasal pillow. He tried a Swift on me and I liked not having everything on my face but he discouraged it because of my pressure. I have to admit the 15 pressure did seem like a lot in my nose. My machine does have ramping, which helps. I am basically a side sleeper but do need to turn on my back at least once during the night. I am visiting again this week with doctor's office to see if they will work with me on mask and have been looking online at masks and nasal pillows. Some say no one with pressure over 12 should be on nasal pillow. My mask leaks and is very uncomfortable. I didn't think I had any claustrophobia but do feel a bit of it with this mask. I actually think the guy at the dr.'s office fit me incorrectly as it seems to overwhelm my face. It is a small, though, and I am a large and tall woman. First time I've had a small in anything! Any suggestions would be helpful as I work through this new process. I've been reading about the Aura and it looks interesting but I do worry about my pressure of 15. Also, I think I need a nasal mask for rotation and am looking for one that is not so "on my face". I got excited about the Comfort Curve and Mini Me when I saw them until I read posts about them that were negative.

Help?_________________

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, nasal pillow, swift, CPAP, Nasal Pillows

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, nasal pillow, swift, CPAP, Aura, Nasal Pillows, Comfort Curve

capt

Post by capt » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:05 pm

I would ask to try the Swift. If nothing else you will know that it does not work for you. Since you are feeling claustrophobic I cannot recommend an Activa, which is too bad, because it seals great at high pressures and is comfortable. You might look at a ResMed Ultra Mirage, as it is a smaller mask that seals well. When you go to see them, take your pillow/machine and if you need to test every mask they have by laying down and try tossing and turning the way you do at home. Then pick the one that feels the best to you. All the best!

Darth Vader Look

Post by Darth Vader Look » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:07 am

capt posts - Since you are feeling claustrophobic I cannot recommend an Activa, which is too bad, because it seals great at high pressures and is comfortable. You might look at a ResMed Ultra Mirage, as it is a smaller mask that seals well.
Hi capt, another Canadian here. Both the Activa and the Ultra Mirage are made by Resmed. The activa is a nasal mask whereas the Ultra Mirage is the full face version. The activa does seal well and is great for side sleepers. That is the mask I have now. I have used the UMFF too and find it a great mask. I had some leakage problems but plan on getting one in the near future.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:19 pm

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the suggestions. I used the Acclaim mask last night and it wasn't bad--for some reason it kept its seal OK, whereas it didn't the night before. Go figure. I am not as clasutrophobic as I was so maybe I am getting a bit used to it all. I got a SNAPP to demo today. I have read the threads on it and know it has some problems but they all do, don't they? I am willing to try. At least I am getting an opportunity to demo some things from this one provider. Thanks for the welcome.

snorzalot

Post by snorzalot » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:36 pm

I've been phasing in my ResMed Swift Nasal Pillows for the past two nights. Originally, it felt like it was going to be impossible to use with 16 cm H2O, but I keep adding more and more time to my track record.

I started with < 2 hours per night on the nasal pillows at which time I switched back to a full face mask, but I made it around five hours the other night and closer to seven last night. It takes a LOT of getting used to and a big desire to be successful with the pillows, but the benefits of not having something covering half my head, something I can clean in just minutes (as compared to the full face) and something that leaves no bridge of the nose redness or soreness is worth the efforts.

I'm still playing the switch-eroo game with masks, but I have no intentions of writing of the nasal pillows. I had previously read on another site that anything over 9 cm H2O was too much for nasal pillows, but like many others on this forum I can attest that is not true.

I'm even balancing the mouth breathing with the nasal pillows that lead so many to full face masks and that is at 16 iPAP so it's possible. I hope I can keep using them, but rotating is really helping me right now.

Thanks!

luvmykatz

Post by luvmykatz » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:13 pm

Thank you for the reply. I am happy to hear from someone who has pressure close to mine trying a nasal pillow. How is the Swift when you sleep on your side? Any problems? I think the nasal pillows are do-able at the higher pressures. The Infinity didn't bother my nose, it just wouldn't stay in when I moved. The flimsy silicone cord just isn't enough to keep it in with the downward hose connection. It sounds like you are doing better with each night on your Swift. I will probably end up with a nasal mask and a nasal pillow, for trade-off purposes. I am hoping I can try the Swift Fri. when I return to my dr's office. I would also like them to work with me on switching out my Fisher Paykel 233 for a Bi-Pap with a smart card. My FP doesn't have any data on it but hours used so I can't keep track of what's really happening during the night. I'm a mouth-breather but the chin-strap provided by the dr's office is not going to work for me--it slips off my head so I've had to go without. I'm hoping over time to teach myself to keep my mouth closed. The Tiara Topaz chin strap looks like it would really stay on but then I'm back to having my head covered, which I don't want. Anyway, good luck to you as you try to get the Swift to be your friend.