COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zonker

Re: COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

Post by zonker » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:10 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:56 pm
During the hippy movement during the 60s, I was in the military. The day I started my terminal leave, I quit cutting my hair and shaving. By the time I retired 45 days later, I no longer looked like a military man. I kept my hair cut and the beard trimmed for many years. Around 1993 I started to let my hair grow long. It finally got long enough to put in a pony tail after several months and I kept it until 2005. During that time, I never cut my hair, I only trimmed the ends once in a while.
well, we are REALLY going off topic here, but let me just put in that i have had my beard since i was 21. just really hate shaving.

it's why i ended up with the p10 nasal pillow mask.

(do you think i got this back on topic with that last line?)
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:38 am

zonker wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:10 pm
back on topic
Well the topic is "everything" goes here, so I'm thinking that's a definite probable maybe.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:02 am

zonker wrote:
Okie bipap wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:56 pm
During the hippy movement during the 60s, I was in the military. The day I started my terminal leave, I quit cutting my hair and shaving. By the time I retired 45 days later, I no longer looked like a military man. I kept my hair cut and the beard trimmed for many years. Around 1993 I started to let my hair grow long. It finally got long enough to put in a pony tail after several months and I kept it until 2005. During that time, I never cut my hair, I only trimmed the ends once in a while.
well, we are REALLY going off topic here, but let me just put in that i have had my beard since i was 21. just really hate shaving.

it's why i ended up with the p10 nasal pillow mask.

(do you think i got this back on topic with that last line?)
Given, as jnk points out, the 'everything go here please', I'm not sure how we could actually be off topic.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 am

jnk... wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:38 am
zonker wrote:
back on topic
Well the topic is "everything" goes here, so I'm thinking that's a definite probable maybe.
long titles confuse me and i rarely, if ever, make it to the end.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:42 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:02 am

Given, as jnk points out, the 'everything go here please', I'm not sure how we could actually be off topic.
well, building on what i told him, there IS my reputation for not actually reading posts very carefully.

now, i gotta pay attention to titles as well?
:shock:
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:57 am

I grew a mustache early in my military career. When I mentioned I might grow one, my mother said that if I did, she would not let me in the house. Needless to say, I had to accept that challenge. I had the mustache for the rest of my military career. Once I retired, I had the beard to go along with it until five years ago when I shaved it off because of the sleep apnea. I had already had two sleep studies and saw how hard it was to get a seal with the mask on, so I shaved just before I went in for my third sleep study and have been beardless ever since.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 am

Okie bipap wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:57 am
I grew a mustache early in my military career. When I mentioned I might grow one, my mother said that if I did, she would not let me in the house. Needless to say, I had to accept that challenge. I had the mustache for the rest of my military career. Once I retired, I had the beard to go along with it until five years ago when I shaved it off because of the sleep apnea. I had already had two sleep studies and saw how hard it was to get a seal with the mask on, so I shaved just before I went in for my third sleep study and have been beardless ever since.
Proof even a Old Dog can clean up his act! :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:35 am

COVID-19. What a horrible way to die. 😥

41years old, no comorbidities, fit, 95 days suffering in the hospital, leg amputated. COVID-19 is a brutal disease.

"Tony Award-nominated actor Nick Cordero, ... has died in Los Angeles after suffering severe medical complications after contracting the coronavirus. He was 41.
Cordero entered the emergency room on March 30 and had a succession of health setbacks, including mini-strokes, blood clots, septic infections, a tracheostomy and a temporary pacemaker implanted. He had been on a ventilator and unconscious and had his right leg amputated. A double lung transplant was being explored."

https://www.usnews.com/news/entertainme ... plications?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:30 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:35 am
COVID-19. What a horrible way to die. 😥

41years old, no comorbidities, fit, 95 days suffering in the hospital, leg amputated. COVID-19 is a brutal disease.
Thank you.

I saw this morning that he lost his fight. It breaks my heart. I was so praying for a different outcome for him (and the others like him).

I am climbing up on my soap box...not directing this at you CG because I have a sense you probably lean towards how I feel.

This is NOT a problem just for old folks or health impaired folks. It takes healthy people as well..... babies and 5 year olds and 11 year olds and teenagers....maybe not as many but that makes it okay??? Try telling that to the parents of just one of those young ones who died or Nick's wife.
How many people have to die, that didn't have to die, does it take for people to finally heed that 2 X 4 up the side of the head and pay attention?

You know I often tell my husband that it's Mother Nature's way of culling the herd....herds need culling sometimes but I wish she would only take the stupid ignorant ones who don't seem to give a crap what happens to others. In my mind...they deserve to suffer the consequences and I don't shed one tear for them. It's the others that pay the price though ...the ones that I call the innocents that weren't stupid and got hit by the stupid people just like drive by shootings take innocents.

We have 2 very limited ways of fighting Mother Nature trying to cull our herd. They aren't perfect but it's all we have for the time being.....social distance and masks. It's all we have right now...I realize that we have to go out and do stuff...we can't be hermits and we aren't self sufficient so we do have things we have to do....wear a frigging mask and at least try to fight Mother Nature's attempt to cull the herd. You never know....it might be your newborn niece or 5 year old nephew or your teenage daughter or your 80 yr old mother that you save their life. Maybe if one of them were to die because of your stupidity and disregard....maybe then that 2 X 4 up the side of your head will hit home.

My own sister and her husband...they have "stupid" tattooed on their foreheads...sad to say. They have a "special needs son age 32"...let's face it...he's retarded IQ wise. Cold hard fact of life. I wonder just how they would feel if he died or they died and left him with no one to take care of him. Stupid, stupid, stupid ....my own sister. They go about their lives without any sort of common sense precautions to protect themselves or anyone else. Thank God she doesn't go visit our 87 year old fragile mother all that often. I used to feel bad about that fact...not now. I don't want her risking infecting our mother.

Okay...rant over...climbing back down off my soap box.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:40 pm

I like to take things seriously, and am, but also acknowledge that most media outlets are putting these headlines up to cause fear and panic, and increase their ratings. It's unfortunate that younger people succumb to COVID-19, but for the average person reading this, it is incredibly unlikely statistic wise that something like that would happen to you. I played around with the COVID-19 morbitity calculator, and even pretending I was an older person with a lot of health problems, your chances of death are still incredibly low. Even if 1 million people somehow end up dying, that is .003% of the USA population. Wear the damn mask and keep your distance, but COVID-19 should not at this time be causing the world to come to a stand-still, IMHO.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:32 pm

raisedfist wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:40 pm
I like to take things seriously, and am, but also acknowledge that most media outlets are putting these headlines up to cause fear and panic, and increase their ratings. It's unfortunate that younger people succumb to COVID-19, but for the average person reading this, it is incredibly unlikely statistic wise that something like that would happen to you. I played around with the COVID-19 morbitity calculator, and even pretending I was an older person with a lot of health problems, your chances of death are still incredibly low. Even if 1 million people somehow end up dying, that is .003% of the USA population. Wear the damn mask and keep your distance, but COVID-19 should not at this time be causing the world to come to a stand-still, IMHO.
I respectfully disagree with your analysis. I personally know of 3 different people that fought Covid-19. One is no longer with us. Two recovered ... BUT NOT FULLY. Both have long-lasting lung damage. The one who passed was quite old, but the other two are younger than 50 and in generally good health.

I think the media is doing its best to get word out, but like EVERYTHING in our world today the issue almost instantly becomes politicized, and one side says "the media overstates" while the other says "this is real!" I like listening to science, myself. Science tells me this is a most nasty bug that is far worse than a seasonal flu.

It makes no sense for parts of the country to re-open but they do it anyway, and suffer far increased disease and see their abilities stretched past their abilities to cope. I see people willfully not wearing masks, or wearing them improperly. Some because they feel no threat (and they are ignorant of the fact that the masks are to help protect others), and some because they see it as a challenge to their freedoms. The ones wearing it below their nose REALLY annoy me.

If 1 million people died because of almost any other cause their would be a riot if nothing was done. But this one dares jeopardize your fiscal comfort, if only temporarily, so people are leading with their greed (I am sorry if that offends, but that's how I see it).

Pugsy, I may have borrowed your soap box. I hereby return it.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:12 pm

3,000 died in 9/11 and some people were calling for the nuclear annihilation of the entire Mideast. These same people are now fine with 130,000 U.S. deaths from COVID-19. Muh freedom.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Hear Hear ! I am with you 1million percent. If you have to leave your home for ANY reason, for gods sake wear a mask and stay 6 feet away from the next person. Like my granddaughter told me, "Gram stay home!! if you catch this virus...... YOU ARE DEAD!!!!!!"
I am one of those, along with a bunch of you, that are immune compromised and old. If some of you don't think its necessary to wear a mask and stay away from people, think of your old granny or grandpa, or that new baby that arrived into all of this. I don't care who yells the loudest with their ideas of going out and not wearing a mask and then heaven forbid, catches this virus and passes it on to whomever you come in contact with... GOD will get you when you least expect it.

Rest in peace Nick....

My soap box is passed on to...............

Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:48 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:12 pm
3,000 died in 9/11 and some people were calling for the nuclear annihilation of the entire Mideast. These same people are now fine with 130,000 U.S. deaths from COVID-19. Muh freedom.
Funny (not) how people's minds (or lack of) change when faced with maybe having to do something that offends their idea of their freedom...isn't it?

Climbing back up on my soap box...I am on a roll today... :lol:

They need to have "stupid" tattooed on their foreheads so we know to avoid them at all costs. My freedom is just as precious as theirs but to those people they are the only ones who matter. Selfish stupid people.

I am NOT saying the world should stop though....all I am saying is that people should use what little tools we have available to reduce the risk to everyone. They could at least try to do their part in protecting others. What's so hard about that?

But they drink the Koolaid. The Koolaid should come with a free stupid tattoo. :shock: That way I can cross the street when I see them.
Politicians lie...well known fact. Always have and always will. Science never lies no matter how much Koolaid someone drinks.
And as usual...the worst damage is collateral damage which could have been avoided.
Never mind that the errant bomb just hit one building with civilians in it that just numbered a small percentage of the population....that's okay I guess....unless you were in that building or maybe someone you know or love one was in that building.

Can I round up all the people with stupid on their foreheads and put them in that building? Since it's okay for any percentage of collateral damage...how about we volunteer them to be first?

Climbing back down off my soap box. I need to go take another blood pressure pill.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:56 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:48 pm
They need to have "stupid" tattooed on their foreheads so we know to avoid them at all cos
Social media has helped. When we moved, it was a quick way for us to identify which neighbors were the stoopid types that we should avoid.