CPAP Camping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bunkmate

CPAP Camping

Post by Bunkmate » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:46 pm

Greetings Fellow Sleep-Seekers:

I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea in 2000 but was told at the time it was not bad enough to warrant intervention.

After the last year being marked by lightheadedness and extreme fatigue I finally went to my doctor. Full blood work and a heart EKG, stress test, and sonogram ruled out any issues in those areas. So the proverbial light went on and my doctor and I decided it was time for another sleep study.

Sure enough, my apnea had gotten worse and now required intervention. But first I needed a septoplasty (inside right nostril) and submucous turbinate resections (sinuses on both sides) to ensure a proper airway for the CPAP.

My surgery was three months ago and I have healed well enough for the CPAP. So it was back to the sleep clinic a couple of weeks ago to get the settings for my CPAP figured out. My setting is 13.

My CPAP was delivered just yesterday (3-22-07) and I used it for the first time last night. My only real complaint thus far is that I woke up feeling pretty bloated in my gut. But I suppose I can experiment with different sleep positions to deal with this.

Like everyone on this forum (and all others who use CPAP around the world) I wish like heck I didn't have to use a CPAP. But if I can finally see what real sleep feels like and the lightheadedness and fatigue are resolved (and I start feeling better) then so be it. One of my best friends has used CPAP for six years while another has used CPAP for ten years. Both of my friends told me it will probably take me about a month (give or take a bit either way) to get used to the CPAP.

What bothers me the most about the fact that I am now a CPAP user is related to camping.

I do TONS of primitive (middle of nowhere) camping. These adventures are a significant portion of my life and one of the primary movers that give my life meaning. I simply cannot imagine life without my bedroll.

I started researching camping options after my last sleep study since I knew I was headed for CPAP-land. I have found almost nothing on the topic.

Are any members of this forum aware of PROVEN options that allow a person to power their CPAP machines when camping (where a person camping is literally MILES from any power outlet) or are any members aware of CPAP machines with rechargeable battery packs/power sources that have been PROVEN to work as a CPAP should "out in the wild?"

If not, I will contact local RV dealerships to see if they may have any rechargeable fuel cells, etc. of any kind that would be capable of running a CPAP.

I know I could always get a gas generator to bring in my truck when I go camping but the noise level of a generator would certainly defeat part of the reasons I go so far into the backcountry.

I know it wood be strange - like an alien slumbering away - camping with a CPAP mask on my nose but if I can still go camping then so be that as well.

The camping means so much to me I would be willing to spend A LOT for a power source I could take camping for my home CPAP machine. I would also be willing to spend a sizable chunk for a separate CPAP I would use just for camping if that is what the machine is designed to do.

SO - Any solutions for a guy looking for proven methods to power a CPAP machine in the middle of nowhere or are there any CPAP machines that have rechargeable battery packs/power sources that are proven to work?

I look to feel better at home with my CPAP and I also look to still be able to go camping.

Hopefully, with regard to camping, someone on this forum will give me reason to smile.

Refugee

Post by Refugee » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:01 pm

I know that there has been a few threads on this topic.

Here is a list of related topics:

viewtopic.php?t=9682

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:11 pm

depends on how long you plan on camping and how much ruffing you want to do.

All it takes is a cpap machine that will run directly off of 12VDC and a battery. The Remstar M series machines and the PB-420x machines run directly off of 12VDC source. All you do is go by Radio Shack and get an adapter for the plug on the back of the machine.

If you camp close to a vehicle or ATV you can plug into the cigarette lighter and run it off that. If you are going only a day or two a small sealed lead acid battery will probably get you through a couple nights. You can buy those for $20 bucks from many online sources. I just bought a 8aH SLA and it only cost me $15 from BatteryWholesalers. A plug to fit the back of the machine in the form of a cigarette adapter and a way to recharge the battery is all that is needed. I use the solar charger from my VW or a BatteryTender from my ATV.

Worst case you can haul a automotive battery along, but the small Sealed Lead Acid batteries are so cheap and will last 3-5 years.

Forget trying to power the humdifier, that will consume too much power, you can easily go 1-2 days without a humidifier. I prefer a heated hose, it also runs off 12VDC. It will warm the incoming air.

You might want to splurge for the extra machine for camping, you get camp fire smoke in your machine and you won't get it out. Leave the machine you use at home, at home so it is there ready to go when you return.

I suggest you look at either a PB-420 or a Remstar M series machine, the PB-420 draws less power and will run longer off the battery. It only draws 1.5AMPs at 20CM pressure and about half that at 10cm. The Remstar draws about double or 3amps at 20cm. If your pressure is 10cm you can figure about half the power used.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

WNJ

Post by WNJ » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:34 pm

Forget scrounging at Radio Shack to find the parts you need to make your own adapter. Buy an adapter made by the folks who made your CPAP. I bought a 12-volt adapter made by Respironics to fit my REMstar Auto. About $25 from CPAP.COM. You probably won’t save more than $5 by making one yourself and if you make a mistake, such as reversing the polarity, you can ruin your CPAP.

Assuming you’re not backpacking, I suggest a deep-cycle battery (e.g., trolling motor battery) to power your CPAP. They are made to take a deep discharge, better than a regular automotive-type battery. This should power your CPAP for several nights.

If you want to stay out long-term, you’ll need a way to recharge the battery. A small solar powered trickle charger used each day will recharge a battery enough to keep up with the power used for the CPAP. If you have a vehicle with you, charging from the alternator is also a possibility.

Wayne

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:37 pm

[quote="WNJ"]Forget scrounging at Radio Shack to find the parts you need to make your own adapter. Buy an adapter made by the folks who made your CPAP. I bought a 12-volt adapter made by Respironics to fit my REMstar Auto. About $25 from CPAP.COM. You probably won’t save more than $5 by making one yourself and if you make a mistake, such as reversing the polarity, you can ruin your CPAP.

Assuming you’re not backpacking, I suggest a deep-cycle battery (e.g., trolling motor battery) to power your CPAP. They are made to take a deep discharge, better than a regular automotive-type battery. This should power your CPAP for several nights.

If you want to stay out long-term, you’ll need a way to recharge the battery. A small solar powered trickle charger used each day will recharge a battery enough to keep up with the power used for the CPAP. If you have a vehicle with you, charging from the alternator is also a possibility.

Wayne

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

WNJ

Post by WNJ » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Snoredog wrote:yep, if you can't figure out black and red and you have more money than brains I guess you can go that route.
Black and red to clip to the battery is one thing. You've got to know this whether you buy an adapter or make your own.

Wiring up a cigarette lighter plug is simple enough, too. (Center is positive.)

Figuring out the polarity of the plug on the CPAP end is another thing. On some, the center pin is positive; on others it is negative. For most people this is not a worthwhile do-it-yourself project.

How much risk should people take with a CPAP to save five bucks?

Wayne

Craig-Tx

Post by Craig-Tx » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 pm

The battery options are a definite possibility, and likely the route I will be going this year.

If you want to look into CPAP specific batteries, there are a few options at CPAP.com
https://www.cpap.com/simple-find-cpap-p ... tery-cable

I personally will likely be running mine off of either my truck or boat battery.

The other possibility is the Breathe-X
https://www.cpap.com/productpage-advanced.php?PNum=2161

Which is a self-contained battery powered unit. I'm personally not too familiar with the unit, but I know at least one member here has used one.

Basically, there are solutions out there. Good luck.

Additional Comments: Started PAP on 1/16/07. - Typical 90% pressure ~ 10 cm H20

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:46 pm

I got the Everest/aura/polaris TR battery powered cpap. It is a great little machine and will run off reg. power or it's own battery. It is a straight cpap with no c-flex or EPR. I have only used it a few times, but have found it to work well for me. I did get the Heated humidifier with it.(whole packlage from cpap.com)
It is small, light weight, and easy to use.

Brenda

ColoZZZ

Post by ColoZZZ » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:54 pm

Here's a link to how I did my portable setup. I went on another trip this weekend and took only the CPAP machine without the heated humidifier. With the temperature dropping into the 30s I didn't expect a passover humidifier to pick up much moisture but it did make a small difference.

I've got my parts list and rough prices in this post.

viewtopic.php?t=18184&highlight=camping

Good luck,

--Andy

ColoZZZ

Post by ColoZZZ » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:38 pm

A little followup (and a bump) to my post above:

I took my CPAP gear to Radio shack and they checked it all out with their meters and made sure the polarity was correct. You'll want a cigarette lighter adapter that'll handle more amps than the machine will need (M-Series = 3 Amps). My cig. adapter is rated to 5 amps, at first I got one that was only about 2 amps and blew the fuse in the adapter.

I figure I saved about $200 off the cost of a respironics battery pack (incl. charger, and adapters) and have about 2-3 days battery life at 10 cm pressure using the 35 Amp Hour battery.

Right now I'm shopping for a smaller battery (18 Ah) for single overnight trips after lugging the 25lb 35 Ah battery to my tentsite. Then if I go on longer trips I'll just take both and hook them up in parallel.

Good luck finding what you need,

-Andy

Bunkmate

Post by Bunkmate » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:03 pm

A million thanks to all of you kind folks who offered your input.

There is hope!

As to my home machine - still adjusting. I found my nose mask leaked when I tried to sleep on my side. I couldn't tighten the mask up more as I was already getting a sore on the bridge of my nose.

Went to the nasal pillows type mask (for just over a week now) and it is working out really well.

Glad my CPAP has the ramp feature though since with a setting of 13 the nasal pillows offer up a real blast of air if put on without using the ramp. By the time my CPAP ramps up to 13 I'm off to sleep and don't notice it.

My continued wishes for all of you to have good luck and restful sleep with your CPAPs.

-Bunkmate

SidecarMike

Post by SidecarMike » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:54 pm

I camp a great deal by motorcycle. If you have a store near you like Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, or something similar, they sell a 5 amp solar charger that has a cigarette lighter end on it. Pick up a plastic tool box big enough to carry your battery and a female cig. lighter socket. Drill a hole in the side of the toolbox to mount the lighter socket and wire it to the battery. I added an on/off switch to keep something from falling into the plug. My solar panel actually fits into the cover of the box. At night I plug in the Bipap and by day I plug in the solar panel.
Examples at http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200305091
I found this on sale for $39.99 at a local store. I use a small gel cell automotive battery.
Or you can mail this guy a lot of money for one that has to be plugged into a wall to recharge. http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-CPAP-Backu ... dZViewItem

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:22 pm

SidecarMike wrote:..they sell a 5 amp solar charger that has a cigarette lighter end on it.
Any solar panel array that was able to put out 5 Amps using the currently available commercial technology would be very large!

The panel you linked to is a 5 Watt panel... you'd need 15 of them to get ~5 amps of charging current!

For example, an xPAP machine that draws 2 amps at 12V will consume 14AH (amp hours) of battery capacity over 7 hours of use. With a 5 Watt solar panel, you would need 42+ hours of daylight exposure to recover that 14AH of energy into the battery.

A single 5 Watt solar panel is great for "float" trickle charging an infrequently used battery to overcome self discharge and keep it at full charge, but is not really practical for promptly recharging a battery that has had significant use.

Cheers,

Bill

SidecarMike

Post by SidecarMike » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:36 pm

billbolton wrote:
SidecarMike wrote:..they sell a 5 amp solar charger that has a cigarette lighter end on it.
Any solar panel array that was able to put out 5 Amps using the currently available commercial technology would be very large!

The panel you linked to is a 5 Watt panel... you'd need 15 of them to get ~5 amps of charging current!

For example, an xPAP machine that draws 2 amps at 12V will consume 14AH (amp hours) of battery capacity over 7 hours of use. With a 5 Watt solar panel, you would need 42+ hours of daylight exposure to recover that 14AH of energy into the battery.

A single 5 Watt solar panel is great for "float" trickle charging an infrequently used battery to overcome self discharge and keep it at full charge, but is not really practical for promptly recharging a battery that has had significant use.

Cheers,

Bill
Oops, I did mean watt, not amp. As I said, I use a small gel automotive battery (650cca) so it lasts a while. I just bought the solar charger at the advice of a good friend who has been using a 2.5 watt model for month long trips, charging only rarely on 110 volt. Thinking about it, he also has a sidecar so probably is also carrying a car battery.
You did answer a question for me though. I was considering replacing the car battery with a smaller one designed for a large motorcycle or golf cart and was curious as to how long it will last on the road.

ColoZZZ

Post by ColoZZZ » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:31 pm

Does anyone know roughly how many Amp Hours are in a standard motorcycle battery?