Resmed THIS IS REDICULOUS

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jazzer4

Resmed THIS IS REDICULOUS

Post by jazzer4 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:45 am

I have been trying to set up "something" in case our power goes out in the night. I did purchase a propane generator incase of a hurricane, but I didn't want to be woken up in the middle of the night and have to set up the generator.

I do have a golf cart in the garage with 6 batteries so that is where I started.

Now $469.00 later (THAT MONEY RESMED COULD HAVE HAD IF THEY WOULD EVER FIX THIS PROBLEM) I just might have it almost finished.

$109.00 for the inverter
$160.00 for a voltage reducer
$50.00 to pick up my cart
$100.00 to install it all
$50.00 to return my cart
$100.00 for labor
Total $469.00 Plus all the aggravation, gas and running around.

What a pain in the a** this was.
Don't have the cart back yet but I'm expecting all of this to work.
Now if the power goes out in the middle of the night all I should have to do is run an extention cord from the garage to my bedroom and go back to sleep.
HOPEFULLY.

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

LSAT

Re: Resmed THIS IS REDICULOUS

Post by LSAT » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:05 am

I guess I just don't understand what Resmed has to do with your power going out.

pitrow

Post by pitrow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 am

And I'm wondering why you need a $160 "voltage reducer". Couldn't you just get an inverter that worked on the volts from the golf cart battery to 120 VAC? I'm guessing your batteries are probably wired for 24 V, so it seems rather silly to reduce that down to 12 V just to bump it up to 120. 2 seconds with google turned up 90,000 pages with 24vdc-120vac inverters.

jlk

Post by jlk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:19 am

LSAT wrote:I guess I just don't understand what Resmed has to do with your power going out.
Resmed said they were putting out a 12 volt power supply for the S-9 last summer. I am sure there are many that would not have purchased an S-9 if they knew there would not be a power supply available in case of power outage. john

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:22 am

I don't think it's Resmed. It only cost me $172 canadian (would be less in U.S.) bought a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery and a modified sine wave inverter...setup works on both my Fisher Paykel 604 and my Respironics M series.
N
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

jlk

Post by jlk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:31 am

Resmed said they were going to put the 12 volt power supply on the market and didn't, many S-9 owners feel it is Resmed. Your setup will work, but there is an efficiency factor involved converting dc to ac back to dc.john

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:25 am

AND, I don't think I would want to sleep in a house w/a generator running in the garage.

We have two generators, one pretty much stationary and one portable. Hubby built a small shed next to the opposite end of the house as our bedroom for the pretty much stationary generator AND ran an exhaust pipe out the opposite side of the shed as the house. We usually end up using the portable to "rescue" our neighbors.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Can someone point me to another thread on this. The RESMED power adapter coverts to DC, so why convert DC-AC to convert back to DC. I think the RESMED without the humidifier only requires a 30 watt power adapter instead of a 90 watt. Isn't there a simpler way to power the thing? My 90 watt states the output as 24V, 3.75 Amps. I'm not sure what the 30's output is.

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:36 pm

LSAT wrote:I guess I just don't understand what Resmed has to do with your power going out.
I have been trying to solve a short power outage for about 6 months now. I even tried to purchase the Everest machine with intergrated battery, put the plant burn down and it's no longer manufacturing the machines.
Yelling as Resmed is like John said. They are dragging there feet in getting out something they promised to have on the market by Aug.
nanwilson wrote:I don't think it's Resmed. It only cost me $172 canadian (would be less in U.S.) bought a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery and a modified sine wave inverter...setup works on both my Fisher Paykel 604 and my Respironics M series.
N
Nan you still have to buy a charger for the gel cell battery. Unless you already had one. The inverter alone was $109.00 from C-pap.com.
If you got the battery, inverter and a charger for $172.oo you did great.
pitrow wrote:And I'm wondering why you need a $160 "voltage reducer". Couldn't you just get an inverter that worked on the volts from the golf cart battery to 120 VAC? I'm guessing your batteries are probably wired for 24 V, so it seems rather silly to reduce that down to 12 V just to bump it up to 120. 2 seconds with google turned up 90,000 pages with 24vdc-120vac inverters.
I'm not sure why either. That's what makes me so mad about all this as I don't understand it and have to rely on what other people tell me....the place where I got the golf card told me I would ruin the batteries in the cart if I didn't get a reducer. So there I am, not knowing and having 10 differents people telling me 10 different things or ways to do it. So, I just do what the golf cart guy tells me to do...hubby would kill me if I ruined his golf cart batteries

Maybe I was bamboozled. Maybe the golf cart place pulled it over on me. I'm a dancer, not an engineer. For me to do this stuff is like you choreographing five dances and performing them on stage.

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:50 pm

pitrow wrote:And I'm wondering why you need a $160 "voltage reducer". Couldn't you just get an inverter that worked on the volts from the golf cart battery to 120 VAC? I'm guessing your batteries are probably wired for 24 V, so it seems rather silly to reduce that down to 12 V just to bump it up to 120. 2 seconds with google turned up 90,000 pages with 24vdc-120vac inverters.
The golf cart has 6 6 volt batteries set up in parallel. I was told that to conect the inverter to two batteries (and even if I only drained 1/2 of the battery then moved on to the next two) that the first two would never charge up fully again.
I was trying to set up to keep using my humitdifier if possible.
Was this guy just handing me a line to sell the power reducer? I don't know.

pitrow

Post by pitrow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:56 pm

jazzer4 wrote:The golf cart has 6 6 volt batteries set up in parallel. I was told that to connect the inverter to two batteries (and even if I only drained 1/2 of the battery then moved on to the next two) that the first two would never charge up fully again.
I was trying to set up to keep using my humitdifier if possible.
Was this guy just handing me a line to sell the power reducer? I don't know.
I don't know much about how golf carts are wired, so I'm just going with my limited electronics knowledge, but 6, 6 v batteries in parallel means you have 6 volts with a LOT of Amp-Hour capacity. More likely they are wired in series, which would give you 36 volts. This sounds more like what I'd expect given that traction motors usually require high voltage. In normal use, you'd then use a voltage reducer to be able to power "normal" 12-volt car accessories off your 36 volt system.

After doing some looking online (since I'm bored at work again), it looks like your installer did it right, at least as far as cost goes. 36 volt to 120 volt inverters are pretty expensive (surprisingly), at around $500+. Where a common 12V - 120V inverter is around $100 as you found out. Ya learn something new every day.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:29 pm

jazzer4 wrote:So there I am, not knowing and having 10 differents people telling me 10 different things or ways to do it.
That goes with territory of battery powering. A DC power adapter from any CPAP vendor will not change that in the slightest.

Cheers,

Bill

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm

billbolton wrote:
jazzer4 wrote:So there I am, not knowing and having 10 differents people telling me 10 different things or ways to do it.
That goes with territory of battery powering. A DC power adapter from any CPAP vendor will not change that in the slightest.

Cheers,

Bill
Why is this so complex? I can buy a UPS for my computer that I can plug everything into without any complications. The Everest was a simple one too. Why?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

jlk

Post by jlk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:19 pm

That is the magic question. Resmed has been unable to supply a plug- and- play 12 volt power supply which the said would be released in August of 2010. With a direct 12 volt supply you, nobody will have to ask 10 people how to do plug it in. I don't recall any threads about any other brand not supplying a 12 volt power supply they said would be available. A direct plug into 12 volts dc is more efficient and will run longer. john

kempo

Post by kempo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Maybe Resmed is too busy trying to fix the Slimline/Climateline problem. (sarcasm off)