Help me please, new user, new to message board

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TylersDad

Help me please, new user, new to message board

Post by TylersDad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Please help.

I started with my CPAP machine about a month ago. I heard all of the stories about how "I would feel like a new man" when I started using the machine and "my bloodpressure would go down", but instead, I do not feel any better and my bloodpressure is the same or even higher.

I sleep every nite with the machine on and I do not have much trouble using it. I do not think I have many leaks during the night.

In reading posts on this site, everyone keeps talking about the software and the card reader. I will spend the money for this if it can help me, but I also thought I saw somewhere on this site where the software does no good with the S8 Escape that I have. Will someone please clear this up for me and tell me if getting the software and card reader would help me. If so, please tell me where I can get the software and the cardreader from, I have vista on my computer.

Please help!

Thank you very much! I want to feel better again.

Pugsy

Re: Help me please, new user, new to message board

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:28 pm

So sorry but the Escape has no useful data available to you. It will show compliance or hours of use to satisfy insurance requirements only.

Are you renting the machine? You need at least the ResMed Elite II model to have a new machine with useful data available.

If renting you might be able to muscle the DME and have them trade it for the Elite.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pagebypage

Post by pagebypage » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:33 pm

My techie lent me a machine which analyzed my condition. You might ask for a loaner to get the info needed to improve your situation. I have an S7 that doesn't have software, but a few weeks with the Respironics loaner and everything is hunky dory for me now.

karessamom

Post by karessamom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:35 pm

First of all Welcome! You will find lots of invaluable information here.
I do not think the Escape is fully data capable (just compliance) but someone please correct me if i'm wrong
second--It may take a while for your sleep debt to catch up. I've been on the machine since Thursday and i've had good days and some not so good. Looking at my numbers--they were actually better today but i'm also groggier and more sleepy so i'm not sure. I just know I need to give it some more time. If you can access your data--and I can do that on my machine each morning before about 12N by simutaniously pressing the right and left "-" "-" bars on my machine for about 4-5 seconds then going into the results menu where it gives you the data--(I'm not sure about the Escape being capable to do that.) It gives you the AI, the HI and the AHI and the leak rate. for the night. (those numbers are just avg for the night. ) and you can see whether or not you actually have any leaks or if you're getting your AHI's under control. Depending on how long you've had SA it may take a while for your sleep debt to be repaid--keep persistant and you will start to feel better. you might try reading under the light bulb icon --our wisdom. or the new users icon. there's is lots of info there --read! Welcome once again and good luck

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 pm

TylersDad wrote:Please help.

I started with my CPAP machine about a month ago. I heard all of the stories about how "I would feel like a new man" when I started using the machine and "my bloodpressure would go down", but instead, I do not feel any better and my bloodpressure is the same or even higher.

I sleep every nite with the machine on and I do not have much trouble using it. I do not think I have many leaks during the night.

In reading posts on this site, everyone keeps talking about the software and the card reader. I will spend the money for this if it can help me, but I also thought I saw somewhere on this site where the software does no good with the S8 Escape that I have. Will someone please clear this up for me and tell me if getting the software and card reader would help me. If so, please tell me where I can get the software and the cardreader from, I have vista on my computer.

Please help!

Thank you very much! I want to feel better again.
If you (or your insurance provider) haven't been billed for the first month, yet, you may still be able to leverage your DME into upgrading your machine to an Elite II......a fully data-capable CPAP. It would be worth a shot. If they try to dissuade you (they hate to lose money by passing off a cheaper machine) from getting a better machine, don't let them. It's YOUR therapy and it's YOUR money that's paying for it.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

TylersDad

Post by TylersDad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:07 pm

Thanks all for the great suggestions.

If I am able to trade for an Elite and I buy the software and the card reader and see my daily 'numbers". What type things can I change in response to these numbers?

Is the main thing you can do is repair the leaks?

Can you also change the pressure setting (mine now is supposed to be , or can only the DME or DR do this?

Is there anything else you can change to effect the performance of the unit?

Thanks for your help.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm

TylersDad wrote:Thanks all for the great suggestions.

If I am able to trade for an Elite and I buy the software and the card reader and see my daily 'numbers". What type things can I change in response to these numbers?

Is the main thing you can do is repair the leaks?

Can you also change the pressure setting (mine now is supposed to be 8 cm.), or can only the DME or DR do this?

Is there anything else you can change to effect the performance of the unit?

Thanks for your help.
You can change the pressure, EPR, Ramp time and starting pressure among others. With the software, you'll be able to see when you had leaks and when the various events occurred (and their duration).

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:31 pm

TD,

Right now, making sure that leaks are under control is very important. If you have the correct mask dialed into your machine, the Elite will subtract what it is supposed to leak (all masks leak a certain amount to flush out the CO2 you exhale) at your set pressure and give you the amount above that. If the number on your screen in the morning is over .20 the leaks could be affecting your treatment. Also with the Elite you will be able to see if your breathing stops (AI) or slows (HI) while you sleep. You can then decide if you want to make pressure changes yourself to bring these numbers down or pay the doctor and DME to do it for you. The former course has faster results and costs less, and is the choice of many if not most on this board. It is not illegal for you to change your pressure, but your DME cannot do so without a new prescription from your doc. You can change your exhalation relief settings or EPR too. Some people report better results with this feature turned off, but some are more able to relax and adapt to treatment with it on. The Resmeds give an excellent summary report of how you did the night before from the LCD screen, but the software is a more precise instrument and so favored by many.

Good luck to you.

TylersDad

Post by TylersDad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:01 pm

All, thanks again for the help.

I just called the DME and he said he will switch out the Escape to an Ellite (with a small upcharge).

I have an appt tomorrow to switch this out.

Now that I have this done. Can someone tell me the best place to buy the software (and of course the best software to buy) and the best place to buy the card reader and the best one to buy.

I am so grateful for everyone's help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:36 pm

ResMed software is not available for purchase in the US so those wanting the software have purchased it from a supplier in Australia.

http://www.cpapaustralia.com.au/shoppin ... ftware.htm

You will also need the card reader and it seems to be less expensive from US supplier, this is what you need, you can check around for prices.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -cpap.html

While waiting for the software, and after you have the Elite, you can still see some information that will help you on the LED screen of the Elite.
You can see
AHI
HI
AI
leak

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

TylersDad

Post by TylersDad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:41 pm

This might be a stupid question, but since I am changing out from an Escape to an Ellite, would it be best for me to go to AN EVEN BETTER VERSION?

I see alot of folks on here talking about AUTO machines? Do these automatically adjust the settings at night, thus eliminating the guesswork or am I being too simplistic in my thoughts? If AUTO is the way to go, does RESMED make one? I may be able to talk my guy into giving me one of these.

Thanks again for the help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:50 pm

ResMed does make an auto unit, the S8 AutoSet II.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/resme ... chine.html

You will likely have a harder time getting a switch to the AutoSet. It costs more and the DME will likely squawk about it especially if the doctor gave an order for CPAP instead of APAP.
The auto units are nice because they can be used in the auto function or in the straight cpap function.
They don't "find" the perfect pressure for you as easily as it sounds and sometimes the pressure variations cause problems. So sometimes APAP is better and sometimes CPAP is better. I have an auto unit and I use it as APAP but I have this thing where "sometimes" I need some higher pressures but it doesn't happen every night, so I let the machine stay at the lower pressure the majority of the time but it can and does go up when it needs to. It works for my needs and the pressure changes don't disrupt my sleep.

If you can swing the AutoSet II, then by all means get it. But if you can't the Elite II is still very good and will give you excellent therapy. The ResScan software will work on either machine.

You can search the forum for "APAP vs CPAP" and see quite a bit of discussion about it.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:52 pm

TylersDad wrote:All, thanks again for the help.

I just called the DME and he said he will switch out the Escape to an Ellite (with a small upcharge).

I have an appt tomorrow to switch this out.

Now that I have this done. Can someone tell me the best place to buy the software (and of course the best software to buy) and the best place to buy the card reader and the best one to buy.

I am so grateful for everyone's help.
How much? In my opinion it shouldn't be ANYTHING. The insurance billing code for any CPAP machine is the same one E0601 regardless of whether it's the cheapest to the most expensive Auto/APAP (to sort of reply to your question about upgrading to an APAP in your other post).

Den
User since 05/14/05

danw61

Post by danw61 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:05 pm

I agree with Den, you shouldn't have to pay any upcharge.
In any case, make sure you check prices on cpap.com before you go. Your share of payments and/or deductable plus upcharge may be more than they are selling for online.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:21 pm

I agree with Den, you shouldn't have to pay the extra $ for the "upgrade" but DMEs can be extremely difficult to deal with and just getting the upgrade is a lot more than many people get accomplished.

Do the math. Is your deductible involved? Will the deductible start over in January? Is this a rent to purchase kind of thing? Look closely at your total out of pocket expenses and look at the prices for either the CPAP or APAP of your choice at cpap.com. Call your insurance company and ask if they will reimburse out of pocket expense at whatever rate they pay, if you bought from cpap.com. Some insurance companies will and some won't. Never know till you ask.

If you can get the auto unit, that would be wonderful. You would essentially have 2 machines in one and have all the bells and whistles. The price difference is not huge. If you can't get the auto unit and need to stay with the DME, then the Elite II is still a great machine. It has some bells and whistles of its own.