Bridge of nose problem

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ariesemtgirl

Bridge of nose problem

Post by ariesemtgirl » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:24 am

Hello, I have been on the cpap since april 2010. I have tried 4 masks and finally found one that works the best. The comfort gel, full mask, med. However each mask I had the same problem and as well with this one. The bridge of my nose is so sore and raw, not sure what else to do. I use mole skin when I remember. Everyone at work always ask what happend to your nose, if they don't know the story. Am I the only one having this problem? Any ideas? I did try the nasal pillows and that did not work at all!

sister

Re: Bridge of nose problem

Post by sister » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:42 am

heavens no, you are not the only one to have this problem. I have very sensitive skin and I have tried everything but cannot wear anything on my nose at all.
I am currently using the fitlife but I also use comfortlite 2 pillows, there is also a cloth mask called sleepweaver that does real well on the nose.
I think you should do as I do and forget anything that sits on the nose,it just doesn't work for some noses[like mine]. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find something that you can use. believe me I know how awful it is to go to work with a place on your nose.I went day after day for many years with my face swollen from severe allergies. wanted to call in sick every time but never did.I gave up on the nose masks because I couldn't go anywhere for days after I used one.
there are a lot of pillows out there, just keep trying until you find something you like.GOD Bless You!!!!

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:16 am

I also settled on the Fit Life Total Face Mask as it does not touch the bridge of my nose at all. This is a very common problem and there are several comfort measures available RemZzzs, and a pad that sits across the nose and protects the area. Maybe put the moleskin on the mask instead of on your nose as removing it everday can cause problems. I found bandaids worked best as they didn't stick to the sore area. Good luck.

dreamchaser

Post by dreamchaser » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:28 am

I too suffer from a sore nose from my mask. If this keeps up my nose will look like the Wicked Witch of the West in no time.
I tried the Remzzz mask liners and it did not help the nose problems. (it did help with the mask leaks though)
I have tried the Comfort Care Pad and it would work real well but it kind gets to close to my eyes and agrivates me.
I now am trying small bandaids. They work OK I just hope my skin doesn't get irratated from the adhesive.
I am also going to try the silicone ear plugs that many people on this forum talk about. I have been on therapy for about 7 weeks now
I didn't know at the time I got my mask that I could exchange it sithin 30 days. That was before I got smart with the help of everyone on this forum.
When It comes time for Medicare to help pay for a new mask it will try on a whole bunch of them.
Jan

Mtnviewer

Post by Mtnviewer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:42 am

A search of this forum produces many threads and solutions. A search of the Wiki / Newbie Info produces these options.

wiki/index.php/Pain_on_the_Bridge_of_the_Nose

I've been happily using this tape every night as a solution to the problem & have next to zero marks or sores or pain using the Quattro mask. I highly recommend it.

You can use some make up to hide the redness, a small tube for a few dollars will last you for yeaers I imagine, but if the above tape or other solutions work then you won't need it much or at all.

I MUST stay off my back to reduce OSA & snoring. I use a small backpack of solid styrofoam to keep me on my side (tennis balls too small), & use DIY customized soft foam pillow to keep my head in a side sleeping position to eliminate most OSA.

sleepy49

Post by sleepy49 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:00 pm

I had the same issue- very painful and noticeable! I switched to a mask that only goes halfway up the nose...problem solved.
try the "zest nasal mask"

ariesemtgirl

Post by ariesemtgirl » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:54 pm

dreamchaser wrote:I too suffer from a sore nose from my mask. If this keeps up my nose will look like the Wicked Witch of the West in no time.
I tried the Remzzz mask liners and it did not help the nose problems. (it did help with the mask leaks though)
I have tried the Comfort Care Pad and it would work real well but it kind gets to close to my eyes and agrivates me.
I now am trying small bandaids. They work OK I just hope my skin doesn't get irratated from the adhesive.
I am also going to try the silicone ear plugs that many people on this forum talk about. I have been on therapy for about 7 weeks now
I didn't know at the time I got my mask that I could exchange it sithin 30 days. That was before I got smart with the help of everyone on this forum.
When It comes time for Medicare to help pay for a new mask it will try on a whole bunch of them.
Jan

Hey Jan
Question what does the silicone ear plugs do?

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:57 pm

The silicone earplugs can used to "fill-in" spots where the mask leaks. They are soft and pliable. Break off a piece of one, knead it until soft, and spackle away.
jeff

mdintx

Post by mdintx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:56 pm

The Padacheek nose bridge protector is the product that worked for me. Check it out;

http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Nosebridge.html

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:16 pm

mdintx wrote:The Padacheek nose bridge protector is the product that worked for me. Check it out;

http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Nosebridge.html
I use the PAC nose bridge protector, too. I also cut back the silicone to make more room for my huge nose bridge.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

lhpangler

Post by lhpangler » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:18 am

for me, it had everything to do with the forehead adjustment. if your mask has this, make sure you understand the differences from one extreme setting to the other. I found that for me, with the mask pushed all the way out from my forehead, I had no pressure on the bridge of my nose. A little bactrum cream cleaned up the redness quickly.

good luck,
LHP