Wear a medic-Alert bracelet?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wistful

Wear a medic-Alert bracelet?

Post by Wistful » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:54 am

Hey there,
I was wondering if any of you wore a Medic-Alert bracelet, and if so, what do you have written on it; Apnea, obstructive Sleep Apnea, OSA????

I have to get it added and was thinking that the full term is way too long, but worried that OSA might not be recognized by some emergency workers. Any thoughts?

W
Pressure 7-9 C-Flex 3 AHI 1.6
Mirage Swift
Marine Mask Seal so my mask doesn't leak
Polygrip Strips so my mouth doesn't leak
Di-Oval for aerophagia
Eye drops for air coming out my tear ducts
Pur-Sleep so I can fall asleep despite all of the above.

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:57 am

Huh????
I just want to go back to sleep!

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:03 am

I used to have one, if I got another I'd probably engrave on it:

"This was sure a waste of $29 bucks now wasn't it"
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

drummergirl410

Post by drummergirl410 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:52 pm

I used to wear one of the cheaper ones with everything engraves on it off and on for quite a while... really need to get a new one. I have so many medical issues going on that it wouldn't be good foe something to happen to me and not have some ID. I would recomend the Medic-Alert brand specifically. The bracelet has an 800 number on it that the emergency folks can call to get a detailed medical history. It does require a monthly fee and the cost of the bracelet, but I think it's not too pricey when the consequences of not having it are considered. This is better than the ones that just engrave the stuff on there. I'm going to go that route for my next one for sure! Have so much going on there wouldn't be room for it all, LOL!
Joined the Hosehead Club on 7/26/2007 100% Compliant for four months... and counting!

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:24 pm

I wear a MedicAlert tag, but have had one for years for some other medical conditions. I also wear a necklace most of the time but have a bracelet for those times when the necklace is inconvenient. Believe it or not, I have often received compliments on my emblem.

I have chosen to go with a real MedicAlert tag, as the information can be changed by me online at any time. I like the organization; their help has been outstanding anytime I have called. The condition, sleep apnea, is on the list of conditions on the web site.

This address is posted in the threads listed below, but here is a convenient restating of the link to the non-profit MedicAlert Foundation:

http://www.medicalert.org

There has been discussion of this topic before.

Please click on the blue text to go to that thread:

Medical ID Tag: Do You Wear One?

Medic Alert ID

Scary Thought

Escope vs. Medic Alert

There may be some other threads, but this is what I found in a quick search.
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Wistful

Post by Wistful » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:30 pm

I have too much to put on there too... that's why I'm wondering if I can abbreviate to OSA

I would also reccomend the Medic Alert brand, if you just had an allergy to pennicilin, no biggie, get the drug store one. But any condition that may require an explanation or drug info, would benefit from the 800 number and med database medic alert keeps for you.

FYI the website is:
http://www.medicalert.org

W
Mirage Swift
Di-Oval for aerophagia

ZZZCPAPZZZ

Post by ZZZCPAPZZZ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:38 pm

I undersand that the abeviation that is understood by the medical communitiy is OSAHS. it sands for Obstutive Sleep Apnea Hypopnea Syndrome.

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:49 pm

birdshell posted:
There is a website where you can make one for free: http://www.medids.com/free-id.php
wistful said:
I have too much to put on there too... that's why I'm wondering if I can abbreviate to OSA
erin
on the site i quoted above from the thread that birshell posted (thanks, birdshell, for doing the digging) you can create a wallet card...it's helpful if you have too much info for the tag, as it also provides a space for medications...you just fill it in on-line and print it...then i laminated it and stuck it in my wallet...one of my friends is a cop and another is a paramedic and they assure me that they do look for this stuff, so it would be a good supplement to the bracelet/tag

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:08 pm

No medic alert for me, except 3 ICE numbers on my phone. One of them is my internist.
My son in law, the paramedic said that the first thing a 'first responder" looks for is ICE in your cell phone.
I just want to go back to sleep!

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:24 pm

I wear a medic alert bracelet due to a pesky cardiac issue and the OSA.

It says: AVNRT / OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA: CPAP

I've never needed it to speak for me (knock on wood) but if something happens to me, I like that the 800 number on the bracelet is there along with the above engraving.

Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

drummergirl410

Post by drummergirl410 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 pm

oceanpearl wrote:No medic alert for me, except 3 ICE numbers on my phone. One of them is my internist.
My son in law, the paramedic said that the first thing a 'first responder" looks for is ICE in your cell phone.
Thati's a good idea... I have two ICE numbers on mine... one is my home number and the other is my mom's cell. Should add dad on there as a third since he has a cell now. Good suggestion!
Joined the Hosehead Club on 7/26/2007 100% Compliant for four months... and counting!

Wistful

Post by Wistful » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:29 pm

The other nice thing about the Medic Alert brand is that it is internationally recognized and accessable.
Don't have a cell
W
Mirage Swift
Di-Oval for aerophagia

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:28 pm

I have worn a Medic-Alert necklace for many years.....since 1980, I was at a V.A. Medical center Clinic and they said that it was in my Medical records that I was allergic to Penicillin.

So I started wearing one. Now my has several things engraved on it and then it says Call Medic alert and gives their 800 number.

i figure if I am out cold and can't speak for myself they will know what to tell an ER. And there are names in their files of people to notify for me.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

laurals

Post by laurals » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:05 am

I am allergic to a number of antibiotics and have never even considered a medic alert tag. It generally takes several days for me to have a reaction - and even then, it's only a rash, so I hadn't thought it that serious.

I wouldn't even consider marking OSA, but then mine is mild and does not affect O2 saturation. And I have no related health problems.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:19 am

I, too, am allergic to a number of antibiotics, including sulfa and penicillin. While most of my reactions have taken a few days before developing a rash or hives, my doctors have recommended wearing a medic-alert tag for these allergies.

I assume that is because when unable to speak for oneself, say in something like an auto accident, there would be wounds. Antibiotics might be administered in this case; every exposure makes your reaction worse, doesn't it? The reaction will stress one's body recovery systems just when they need to be at their peak, IMHO.

My Medic-Alert tag is also for other medical problems, but the antibiotic allergies may be a compelling enough reason for wearing one. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to ask your doctor(s)? It is such a simple thing to do, ESPECIALLY when compared to xPAP therapy. The tag never needs to be soaked in vinegar and water, replaced at various insurance-approved intervals, and isn't under the supervision of a DME provider. If wearing a tag saves a complication, then will it not help in your health and healing?

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms