Hello from a noob with questions :)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ndc

Hello from a noob with questions :)

Post by ndc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:21 am

Hi all,

I recently got the result of my sleep study, AHI 35+ but almost all hypopnea. Luckily oxygen level never dropped below 90%. Currently borrowing S9 autoset from the hospital to try it out.

After several nights using the S9, looks like my average pressure is 9cm, AHI when using S9 between 0.1 - 0.3.

I haven't visited my doctor to review the S9 record (will do that next week), but I am curious about several things:
  • How bad is pressure 9cm? if someone without sleep apnea problem is wearing an APAP, will the machine deliver almost 0cm pressure?
  • Is there a free software that I can download (for windows) that can read the S9 record?
  • Do you know any interesting shortcuts on the S9? I have found the pressing both buttons to see extended info on the screen.

Bill44133

Re: Hello from a noob with questions :)

Post by Bill44133 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:13 am

Most of the people here use SleepyHead to read the sleep data. Here is the link that is the tutorial for the program:
viewtopic/t88983/Pugsys-PointersSleepyH ... Hints.html
Here is the link to the software: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhead/files/

I wish you good luck!

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:17 am

9 cm is very average actually... certainly not extra high or low. The pressure settings needed to keep your particular airway open however, is not related to severity of events during testing... that can be extreme, yet you personally may only need a low setting to be effective, and someone who needs e.g. 15 cm to open their airway may only have had 7 events at sleep study - they're two different things.

ndc

Post by ndc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:42 am

Bill44133 wrote:Most of the people here use SleepyHead to read the sleep data.
Thank you for the link, will try it out.
Julie wrote:The pressure settings needed to keep your particular airway open however, is not related to severity of events during testing.
Ah, very insightful, thank you!

purple

Post by purple » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:06 am

if you have much in the way of leaks, the data is to be considered completely inaccurate. That is, if one has much in the way of leaks, then the data will not allow one to make decisions as to whether the treatment is effective (to a doc that is AHI of less than five) or whether the pressure should be adjust up. It is more difficult to decide to put the starting pressure down, in that one must try it, and then look at the data. In a sleep lab they start low and go up.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:18 pm

ndc wrote:After several nights using the S9, looks like my average pressure is 9cm, AHI when using S9 between 0.1 - 0.3.
Hi,

If those AHI numbers are real-world (ie, you are not leaking too much to invalidate the data), then you are doing outstanding. The bigger question then is how do you feel? A week or two with those numbers should put you on track to feeling like a new person.

-john-