Sore and Red Bridge of nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Terryp

Sore and Red Bridge of nose

Post by Terryp » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi: I am new at using a mask. I am currently using the ResMed Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask. The bridge of my nose continues to be sore and very red each morning after I take the mask off. The redness stays throughout the day but turns a little lighter late in the evening. I have fully extended the forehead support dial but the problem still occurs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve the problem? I have been fitted with a size small and have tried a size medium mask. The same problem occurs.

Thank you for your help/advice.

Terry

HollyDolly

Re: Sore and Red Bridge of nose

Post by HollyDolly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Hello, I had the same problem too. Last week I decided to to use 2 flexible fabric bandaids along the side of my nose to the bridge and it helped tremendously! Just wish I would have thought about it when I started using the machine 2 weeks ago! No more red indentation and the 2 sores on the side of my nose are almost gone too.

montana user

Post by montana user » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:15 pm

This may not help, but read my latest post " a true full face mask" I also have the same problem. thanks

Mtnviewer

Post by Mtnviewer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm

I've been happily using 3M surgical tape with my Quattro mask. I use a 1/2 inch or so wide strip that I tear off the roll, place it on the bridge of my nose & then put on my mask. This one strip can be reused for 2-4 nights before it gets too gummy on both sides. One night last week I forgot to put the tape on & sure enough in the morning I had a very red & sore nose bridge. Next night I used tape & voila, next morning, no sore or red nose bridge. I highly recommend it. Cheap, easy, comfortable, no leaks.

Read bottom of page, wiki/index.php/Pain_on_the_Bridge_of_the_Nose

I MUST stay off my back to reduce OSA & snoring. I use a small backpack of solid styrofoam to keep me on my side (tennis balls too small), & use DIY customized soft foam pillow to keep my head in a side sleeping position to eliminate most OSA.

mtnviewer, montana user, holly dolly

Post by mtnviewer, montana user, holly dolly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Thank you so much. The information is very helpful.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:12 pm

I too had to use 3M Micropore tape too, in the beginning, and I also had to give my nose bridge a night's break by switching to another mask.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:39 am

If you can conquer mouth breathing (either naturally or by some tricks like taping or a chin strap) you might want to consider nasal pillows. They don't touch anything but your nostrils and that will resolve the problem entirely.

If you want to stick with the mask you have, Johnson & Johnson makes "Finger and Toe Blister Bandaids" that have a thick, water based gel in the center. They are just the right size for your nose and help a lot. Unfortunately, they are pricey to use every night.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:13 am

The Hybrid and Liberty are masks that give you full face service, without touching the bidge of your nose.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:20 am

If you're like me and need to keep using the full face mask, you'll have to get the nose bridge thing under control. Here's what I did --

I have a cleaning regimen that I go through nightly before I go to bed. I thoroughly clean my face. I also use an acne astringent on the nose bridge. I use a cotton pad and hold it in place over the sore area for about a minute. For some reason, using the astringent on the nose bridge helps heal the area. Once the area is dry, I use a plastic (plastic worked best for me) bandaid over my nose bridge. This significantly helped the area heal.

The only problem I've found is when I change masks -- ie get a new mask. The nose bridge problem sometimes resurfaces, I'm guessing because the "fit" hasn't been mastered right away with a new mask and headgear. By continuing the cleaning regimen and bandaid, the problem is minimal.

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:16 am

I had the same problem with my nose mask and, honestly, found that playing around with the strap tightness and the forehead support cured the problem. I literally had blisters on the bridge of my nose at first. I have been using the Mirage Activa and the Comfortgel masks without problems since. I am about to try and resolve my occasional mouth breathing and sinus congestion issues by trying a full face mask (actually, the Quattro) so will have to keep this thread in mind should I wind up with bridge of the nose issues again. I am hoping not. I am also going to try the PAPCAP PLUS 4 headgear to see if I can push the chin up slightly to eliminate the mouth breathing (although it won't do a thing for stuffy nose). Ahhh. The never ending story. At least I seem to have my blower and numbers down where I want them (I think) and it's time for another sleep study to confirm what is really going on at night with EEG, etc. Man, I don't know what the first mask they gave me was, but it was so bad that the bridge of my nose would literally bleed in the morning yet I was so tired I slept through the damage. I think that we are plagued with problems of one type or another regardless of the mask. When I was in the hospital I was on a full face mask ventilator for about three days, then intubated for two weeks, then on a full face oxygen ventilator mask for several more days. I was on morphine and in lala land part of the time but I do not recall having a bridge of the nose problem with THAT FFM.... my wife and daughter volunteer at the hospital these days. I need to get them to go to the critical care section and find out what type of mask THEY use... it was pretty good. Probably costs a zillion dollars though. It also had a solid and leak-free fit under high pressures I think.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:31 am

You have some good suggestions here. One thing is sure- you have got to get ahold of this problem. The bridge of my nose got so bad with the quattro ffm that I had to take 19 days off and switch to a FitLife Total Face Mask. The interventions you see here do work, unless, like me you have poor, thin skin. Over time I just couldn't
keep the bridge of my nose well with the continued pressure every night. So if it won't heal up, maybe try the Fit Life. As I said, the interventions listed here are good and should work.Good Luck.
Mary Z

terrydk

Post by terrydk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:58 pm

This might help you http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Nosebridge.html
Terryp wrote:Hi: I am new at using a mask. I am currently using the ResMed Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask. The bridge of my nose continues to be sore and very red each morning after I take the mask off. The redness stays throughout the day but turns a little lighter late in the evening. I have fully extended the forehead support dial but the problem still occurs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve the problem? I have been fitted with a size small and have tried a size medium mask. The same problem occurs.

Thank you for your help/advice.

Terry

scottandrews1974

Post by scottandrews1974 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks for the tips...I was just diagnosed this week (after a sleep study last week) with severe sleep apnea. I did a sleep study last night with a full face mask (I have a deviated septum and can hardly breathe through my nose) and today the bridge of my nose is very red and sore, and right where the mask touched my nose is almost like a blister, puffy and slightly different color than the rest of the red nose.

I CANNOT use a mask if this is the result everyday. When I get my CPAP machine and mask, I will try some of these methods (gel bandaids etc).