So what is considered the Rolls Royce of CPAP Machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Drowsy Dancer

Re: So what is considered the Rolls Royce of CPAP Machines

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:04 am

drduke49 wrote:I don't know if I "own" my machine or it is rented by my carrier (Aetna).
CPAP was my introduction to some of the more bizarre aspects of medical billing. There are actually three contracts: between you (well your employer) and Aetna, between you (as an individual) and your DME, and between your DME and Aetna. And they won't tell you the terms of that last agreement, even though it has a financial impact on you.

Also, with Aetna, the humidifier is purchased outright. The blower you make monthly payments on for 13 months (I believe is is parallel to Medicare), and then you make a payment every six months in perpetuity. As a "service contract." For which they do NOTHING. It is infuriating.

However, comma, if you look at Aetna's CPBs (Clinical Policy Bulletins), they consider the effective useful life of a CPAP to be five years. So what I did in February, when I hit my five-year CPAP-aversary, was to call up my DME and try to get them to take their machine back. Of course, because it was a five-year-old machine that Aetna now says is useless, that was the last thing in the world they wanted. Not much resale value in a 550P (although it is a perfectly good machine).

The net upshot of my rather hilarious conversations with the DME was that they terminated the stupid service contract and I got to keep the machine. Because of course I did. They didn't want it. It's actually my second backup machine now, behind my two Craigslist finds, because it has more hours of usage (it took me a couple of years to get smart about shaking out CPAP CL deals--helps to be in a major metropolitan area). I'm not sure I will use my insurance coverage to purchase another CPAP before I become eligible for Medicare (another 7 years) because I find this "service contract" nonsense so irksome and I have plenty of CPAP capacity right now (3 machines in total).

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:00 pm

palerider wrote: and his quality of posts haven't changed.

You seem obsessed by the quality of my posts, which you previously said you would ignore but are apparently struggling with that.
If you are that upset with the quality of my posts then either ignore them or get you own forum

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:05 am

Uncle_Bob wrote:

You seem obsessed by the quality of my posts, which you previously said you would ignore but are apparently struggling with that.
If you are that upset with the quality of my posts then either ignore them or get you own forum
This is just a very rude person. He is best ignored.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:13 am

Gasper62 wrote:The Rolls Royce analogy might have gone over better on a Brit. forum. Cadillac or Lincoln might have been less incendiary candidates. But yeah, if you're perturbed by the response to your thread, and, the general tone here, it's probably prudent that you retreat. Good luck. PS: I think the AirFit F10 is a great full face mask. >> https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html
A Cadillac or Lincoln is slightly better. However, the idea of luxury features doesn't make a lot of sense. Just about everything on a CPAP is a necessity.

The one thing I'd like to see built into every CPAP is a smoke/monoxide detector. Apnea patients need more time to wake and escape, and this will add precious moments and provide backup should the detector in my bedroom fail. Also, since I sometimes visit underdeveloped countries, I can't always assume that working detectors are in my hotel room.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:56 am

D.H. wrote:This is just a very rude person. He is best ignored.
this is just an ignorant person, he is best ignored.

no, I take that back, ignorance can be cured... D.H. shows no desire to cure his ignorance, he's just a fool.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:58 am

D.H. wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote:

unfortunately, weird uncle, the ignore feature doesn't work when some fool quotes your drivel.

Last edited by palerider on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:10 pm

palerider wrote: unfortunately, weird uncle, the ignore feature doesn't work when some fool quotes your drivel, unfortunately.
The "foe" feature of this website is no substitute for a complete lack of a mental capacity to ignore anything posted here.

garyden1982

Post by garyden1982 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:20 am

Hey,

Don't worry about all of the snarky comments. I posted on here and while I was slightly rude at first, it brought all the sharks in this guppy tank out. It's amazing how many pots are calling the kettle black on the site.

Regarding the "Rolls Royce" versus a Honda accord...the answer is simple. If my air pressure says it is at "x", I want to know it is ACTUALLY at "x" as this person likely does as well. There are WAY TOO MANY medical devices which are not fit to be on the market from blood pressure monitors to blood sugar regulators. Quality is quality is quality. If the pressure isn't maintained properly then either your airway still closes OR you can't properly exhale...either option resulting in a less useful CPAP.

I'm gonna try the "dream" thingy. I'll let you know how it works!

esel

Post by esel » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:39 am

Hey boys and girls, wait for me... This is so unfair . I am still at work and you have the whole night to have fun.

Are you on CPAP in front of your screens all night ?

I do agree with Rolls Royce, there are too many CPAP out there and no clear descriptions as to parameters that can be modified, can be recorded or can be read by software to be analysed.

It is also nice to know that there are some CRAP and some out of business out there.

Life time 5 years sounds great. I don't even have a choice to own mine. Have to rent it (cost are fixed per night) and after one year I may be allowed to buy it. Well in two years I have paid the price in renting. Hope I will get a discount after my first year.

As to weight loss CPAP is not going to do it for you. If body weight was only related to insulin we would not have so many people off weight. There are many more factors in the game. And CPAP, calories in, exercise out are not gone do it. Once a body has reached adult weight it will always come back to it. So if you are an adult just forget about gaining or loosing weight. If loosing weight is an issue try tapeworms they are efficient but I cannot recommend them. Alternatively you can try hibernation, it works well for many mammalians. However I don't know if it works for apnea. Should add that parameter on CPAP.

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:36 am

esel wrote:there are too many CPAP out there and no clear descriptions as to parameters that can be modified, can be recorded or can be read by software to be analysed.
Maybe this will help you - https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

BTW, I'm sure you did not give it much thought when you wrote, "there are too many CPAP out there". Complaining about too many choices is not attractive. Wait until the choices are limited, and you will understand.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:20 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
esel wrote:there are too many CPAP out there and no clear descriptions as to parameters that can be modified, can be recorded or can be read by software to be analysed.
Maybe this will help you - https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

BTW, I'm sure you did not give it much thought when you wrote, "there are too many CPAP out there". Complaining about too many choices is not attractive. Wait until the choices are limited, and you will understand.
there's really very little in what esel said that makes any sense.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:06 am

palerider wrote:there's really very little in what esel said that makes any sense.
I didn't even want to begin to tackle his last paragraph.

esel

Post by esel » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:07 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
palerider wrote:there's really very little in what esel said that makes any sense.
I didn't even want to begin to tackle his last paragraph.
Well, sorry for my making no sense. At least I may improve...
I am biologist, "the far side by Garry Larson" and too much like calvin when with hobbes except for the sense of humor.

thanks for the https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment. And here my daily troubles, can't even find my CPAP in there

I have a ResMed AirCurve10 CS PACEWAVE # 37061 and have a hard time to figure out settings.

On my sleep study I had lots of OA (AHI 39) on APAP OA's changed to CA's (AHI down to 10) now on ASV CA's changed to UA's (AHI 1.. Great

The draw back is that I feel worth than on APAP. The ASV pumps up my belly until I weak up. I then have to getup, walk to get that air out... and then I need to open the window guess why

Min EPAP 4.4 Max IPAP 11.6 PS 0.4-5.6
How can I set PS to 1-3

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:23 am

esel wrote:How can I set PS to 1-3
Go here and request that a copy of the clinical manual for your machine be sent to you via email.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual
The instructions are down near the bottom of the page.
Be sure to request your exact model. You likely will get a combo manual but it should include your machine.
Your model machine is not a very common model to be dispensed. It's usually dispensed because of some sort of special circumstances. Something to talk to your doctor about along with the aerophagia issues (the air in the belly) that you are experiencing.
Do you have any sort of special lung issues going on?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:05 pm

esel wrote:thanks for the https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment. And here my daily troubles, can't even find my CPAP in there

I have a ResMed AirCurve10 CS PACEWAVE # 37061 and have a hard time to figure out settings.
the cs pacewave is called the aircurve 10 asv here.

esel wrote:On my sleep study I had lots of OA (AHI 39) on APAP OA's changed to CA's (AHI down to 10) now on ASV CA's changed to UA's (AHI 1.. Great

The draw back is that I feel worth than on APAP. The ASV pumps up my belly until I weak up. I then have to getup, walk to get that air out... and then I need to open the window guess why

Min EPAP 4.4 Max IPAP 11.6 PS 0.4-5.6
How can I set PS to 1-3
if you restrict the ps, then there's no point in having an ASV, you might as well stick with the apap.