back up power

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Woody

back up power

Post by Woody » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:16 pm

How many of us have backup power for our cpaps? Last night my power failed just as I was reaching for my mask! What are we suposed to do
when this happens or our cpap just dies on us?

Well I do have a backup cpap and mask. I may be investing in a battery
to use if I have another power failure.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:55 pm

I have a Battery Geeks CPAP battery (good for two nights) and an AGM RV battery (good for at least a week).

The Battery Geeks battery can be carried onto an airplane in a CPAP bag and it could be used in-flight.

engine 88

battery back up

Post by engine 88 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:48 am

I use a marine gel battery . I have used in in power outages and for primitive camping. While using it for camping I have used it for 4 nights in a row without charging. I think it would go a full week with no problem. If I added a solar charger it coul go on indefinitly. I have a Remstar auto and a Remstar series M Cpap. Either one will run on the battery without the humidifier. I now have 5500 hrs between both machines.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:01 am

I used my marine battery just last night. Power went out for about 30 minutes without a cloud in the sky.

The hurricane is pretty way south from where I live but I guess the electric company was doing test outages or something in anticipation of expected outlier storms coming through this evening.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:55 pm

I'm looking at a Black & Decker Electromate 400. It's supposedly on sale at Joe's right now, but their computer went down and they can't tell me how much.

I'd rather have a 600, but if it's cheap enough, I'll get this. I'm not planning any major camping outings, but a little backup would be nice.

Cheers,
Babs

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Oh, and for DS, and 6ptStar and all my friends in Texas...

HELLO DOLLY! WELL, HELLO DOLLY!

Sorry....

Good luck and batten down those hatches real good!!!!!

Huggers,
B.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Living in Oklahoma, the land of tornadoes and ice storms, I have had back up power for my machine since a really bad ice storm in 2000. We were without power for 8 days. Went to a motel so I could sleep. (Didn't know about battery backups / inverters / etc back then)

Now I have a battery with the 12v DC power cord you get from CPAP.com. I've used it half a night and it works like a charm. Best $25 bucks I ever spent.

JeffH

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:37 pm

I bought a little Everest II CPAP machine, with a battery pack that's rechargeable.
It was pricey, but has guaranteed that we will not have a power outage again this summer. Or, so it seems. We were having them constantly until I plunked down the bucks for the new machine.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:44 pm

[quote="Anonymous"]I bought a little Everest II CPAP machine, with a battery pack that's rechargeable.
It was pricey, but has guaranteed that we will not have a power outage again this summer. Or, so it seems. We were having them constantly until I plunked down the bucks for the new machine.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:31 pm

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

crossfit

Post by crossfit » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:23 pm

where I live we get so many power outages, and extended ones, that we have a generator to power the whole house. But that is a bit extreme for just the CPAP!

Woody

Post by Woody » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:02 pm

I already had a suitable battery and I got a cable today. Now that I have it
I probably will never need it. But it's conforting to have it.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

CarrieS

Post by CarrieS » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:09 pm

When this happened to us my husband went and bought an inverter for 25 from Meijer and hooked up to a car battery. He had to take the van that day since I had his battery lol but maybe well get a battery someday for it if it happens again.

dvejr

Re: back up power

Post by dvejr » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:16 am

I just received my Everest 2 with battery pack and used it last night for the first time. I have a Respironics Pro 2 as my main machine, and have used it for 2 1/2 years.

First impressions: cute, small. light, and easy to travel with (I travel a lot). Ran it plugged in, with battery pack attached to charge up fully. Tonight I'll pull the plug and run all night on battery, just as a test.

When on battery it limits humidifier (if installed) heat to manage current drain. I never heat my humidifier anyway, so I don't care if my heating options are limited when on battery.

It seems slightly noisier than the Pro.

I REALLY missed C-flex last night. I will review manual again today to see if I missed the similar feature on the Everest, or if it indeed doesn't offer exhalation relief.

Doug

rested gal

Re: back up power

Post by rested gal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:01 pm

dvejr wrote:I REALLY missed C-flex last night. I will review manual again today to see if I missed the similar feature on the Everest, or if it indeed doesn't offer exhalation relief.

Doug
The Everest has no exhalation pressure relief of any kind. It's still a very handy machine to have because of its battery. I like mine, but I use it only when storms are predicted.
dvejr wrote:It seems slightly noisier than the Pro.
The Everest is definitely not a quiet machine. Good machine, but not quiet.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435