headrest help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CarrieS

headrest help

Post by CarrieS » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Well Im starting to get use to the fact the hose is above my head (unlike my NAII) but Im having another issue. When Ive been sleeping on my back and then roll to my side I get water dumped in my nose, which I have sensitive sinuses and even a droplet burns (I even use noseplugs swimming). Ive tried turning the humidifier down but then its too dry (next day sinus aches.) Any suggestions?
Thanks In Advance

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Guess turning it up is not what you wanted to hear? How else to find YOUR balance?

Good Luck,
GumbyCT

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:05 pm

It's called rainout. You need to use a heated hose, hose wraps, for both the hose and the narrower tubes, and sometimes even wrapping the nasal seal is necessary.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ca_hosehead

Rainout

Post by ca_hosehead » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:52 am

I've used the aussie heated hose for some time.

http://www.sleepzone.com.au/

It does an excellent job of stopping rainout.

JZ

Post by JZ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:46 pm

I also use the Headrest. For several months I have not used the humidifier as our summers here are humid enough. My cpap machine is on my bedside table about the same level as my mattress and I seldom experienced rain out even when I did use the humidifier. But in early June I traveled to New Mexico for vacation where the air was very dry. I set the humidifier on 2 and got bad rain out several nights in a row. So, I put the machine on the floor by my bed and it solved the problem. The condensation could not travel that far uphill.

Janna

TossinNTurnin

Post by TossinNTurnin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:10 pm

JZ wrote:The condensation could not travel that far uphill.

Janna
I think right there is likely the key... at least it has been for me.

While I have the hose over my head so I can turn from side to side, keeping the MACHINE down below bed level (the sharper the angle the better), makes it more difficult and less likely for any condensation to run down to your nose.

Occasionally THEN, I might get a few drops in the nose piece, but it's not as dramatic or frequent and lowering the humidity level does the trick. (right now, I don't even use the humidity above 1 if at all, and I don't get dry)

"She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything" Vincenzo Bellini

Zoo Med Repti Heat cable to prevent rainout and the Aussie heated hose

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:16 am

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

feeling_better

Re: headrest help

Post by feeling_better » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:18 pm

CarrieS wrote:Well Im starting to get use to the fact the hose is above my head (unlike my NAII) but Im having another issue. When Ive been sleeping on my back and then roll to my side I get water dumped in my nose, which I have sensitive sinuses and even a droplet burns (I even use noseplugs swimming). Ive tried turning the humidifier down but then its too dry (next day sinus aches.) Any suggestions?
Thanks In Advance
You may wish to look at this thread
viewtopic.php?t=33390&highlight=

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:32 pm

How about using the AYR Nasal Gel with a low or no humidifier setting? I live in Arizona, and my nose is EXTREMELY sensitive to dry air. To get any humidification which satisfies my nasal passages, I have to set my humidifier to 5. I still use AYR Nasal Gel, or I would get irritated nasal passges. I can't go without AYR Nasal Gel now even when I visit my sister in San Francisco, which is pretty humid in comparison to Arizona.

Work like you don't need the money;
Love like you've never been hurt;
Dance like nobody's watching.

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Hey Carrie,
I've experienced the same thing with the Headrest (which I love!!!).....

I covered the hose with a fleece cover that SleepyCarol kindly sent to me and it more or less eliminated rainout from the hose.
For hose control I just shove it under a couple pillows at the head of the bed. The hose dangles down almost to the floor so I don't really get any hose/HH rainout that will come up the hose to the mask (I also use a ComfortGel mask and get no rainout with the exception of a few drops of exhalation condensation....)

The rainout you are describing sounds like condensation from your own exhalations -- if it's only a few drops (which was my problem).
The only way I can think of to eliminate that problem is to cover the whole nasal interface to eliminate the exhalation condensation.
It happens to me so seldom that I've just learned to live with it....Burn and all.....

Good luck - take care
cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama