Disassemble the Aeiomed Headrest

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GumbyCT

Disassemble the Aeiomed Headrest

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:09 pm

Assembly is the reverse

Last edited by GumbyCT on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeganCPAP31Jan2007;AHI<0.5
I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

djdixie

Re: Disassemble the Aeiomed Headrest -with pics

Post by djdixie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:32 pm

Gumby-I'm very interested in your pics and info on disassembling the Headrest. I just ordered a 2nd Headrest from CPAP this week because my old one is about 2 years old. It's actually still holding up very well, but I really wanted to take it apart the way other folks have, and I was afraid to be left without any mask at all just in case the deconstruction didn't work out. From your pictures it looks like you're using two headbands (scrunchies), one little one and one big one. Is that right? Could you possibly post a picture of you wearing it? I know that's asking a lot!!

SleepyNoMore

Post by SleepyNoMore » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Hello Gumby,
I had done this very same thing about a year ago but I didn't use the knee high!
I just couldn't get it to stay in place so it has been "parked" in my drawer all year long & i've just been wearing my swift 11.
I'm with DjDixie, can you model this for us or go to the beauty supply house & get a styrofoam head to model it on, I bought one just for that purpose a year ago & its still "parked" in the closet ,
Thanks for the pics and the reminder of my long lost degutted headrest...
SleepyNoMore
BTW, I might have a extra large nose piece, if you still need it, I will look & get back at cha I use the medium & small, mainly the medium!

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:31 pm

My process (posted in an older thread) is slightly different - it gets rid of most of the platic track - which is both its advantage and its drawback. The end mod is the one suggested by rested gal.

Step 1:
Gently disconnect narrow tube from the transparent hard part of the plastic seal. Wiggle, don't pull. Note this disconnect, can be done manually, and is on the opposite side from the one suggested by gumby. Originally suggested by catnapper who discovered that the Breeze's replacement hose fits just fine here too.

Step 2:
Put the hose safely away - far from sharp objects....

Step 3:
Snip the thin cream colored plastic guides just above the point where they curve from vertical to horizontal to joins the seal assembly to the headgear. (Thats is two snips, one for each side). I used garden scateurs for the snipping. Drawback: After this the headgear is useless.

Step 4:
Store secateurs

Step 5:
Reconnect narrow tube to transparent plastic.

Advantage: Nothing touches the top of your head after this modification.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:43 pm

I am a fan of the deconstructed Headrest. Okay, I read this earlier but must have been in a daze. I thought the pics mentioned in the title were referring to a tool you used to disassemble the mask. Whew - I need to wake up!
Kathy

GumbyCT

Re: Disassemble the Aeiomed Headrest

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:04 pm

I had to disassemble my new allocation for this year - wow what a difference. This new one feels much better plus got my AHI back down to 0 for 2 nites in a row now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disassemble the Aeiomed Headrest -with pics - Re-Posted

Last weekend after waking up in a sweat again I decided it was finally time to disassemble my Headrest to allow my head to also breath while I sleep. I know there are alot of posts on here about modifications to this wonderful nasal pillows mask, but I didn't go searching - so if any of this is duplication, I am sorry.

Because of the way I tied the knee-high to hold the mask on, I no longer need the rubber band fix, which to me is a must if your Headrest is not modified.

To begin use a butter knife, flat blade screwdriver or another dull instrument to pry the hose on the swivel connector loose. Wiggle the hose loose then off the swivel hose connector. This will allow the hose to slip thru the headgear in the next step.

Using the butter knife or other instrument pry the rubber piece away from the headgear enuff to fit a finger or other instrument in to help position the grooved adjustment arm so that it will slide out from the housing when pulled. The rubber headgear will slide right off those plastic rivets to allow this. I only slid it off one rivet.
- Update: This time I used a bent paperclip to dislodge those grooved adjustment arms without bothering the rubber headgear. If you have a use for this headgear let me know.

All pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.
If you look inside the housing (right side) where the adj. arm is - you will see little metal spring clips used to lock into the grooves on the adj. arm. These will only be needed IF you want to re-assemble the headgear. They are used to lock the adj. arm in place.

If you are not able to wiggle out this adjustment arm then you can cut it with a pair of wire cutters (it is plastic). You will be able to put it back together, it just can slide out on it's own.

- Update:If you want to insulate the small hose - now would be a good time to put on a very small piece of fleece or whatever to slide right up to the bend near the nasal seal.
Slide the swivel hose connector back onto the hose and you're almost done. I used some medical tape to keep the hose secured to the adjustment arm and keep the arm from digging into my head.

I used a knee high hose to hold the nose piece on my head. This allowed the nose piece to twist away from my nose esp. when trying to get up out of bed.

Until I added the scrunchie (Headband) across the top of my head.

Tie it to fit your head and you're done.
I like this better.

I place the knee high in front of the nasal seal and around my head to hold the nasal seal in place and seal it.
Good Luck,
GumbyCT

Links -
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/aeiome ... rface.html

The Aeiomed Headrest is good for sleeping in just about any position. Check it out here -
http://www.aeiomed.com/products/headrest.php

The Movie - http://www.aeiomed.com/video_product_in ... adrest.php

Headrest Help
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34208&p=291728&hili ... st#p291728

Headrest Help
viewtopic.php?t=5962#p54029

Comparison and Data: CL2 vs Headrest
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36037&p=313591&hili ... st#p313591
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36037&p=311661&hili ... st#p311661

;)

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks Gumby. I have a Headrest in a drawer, and maybe it's time to take it out and do some disassembling I didn't like the rubber part at all, and it was too hot to wear it over my papcap.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:17 am

My Headrest broke lastnight as I was going to bed. So I grabbed the replacement and hooked me up, then off to sleep. It wasn't until this morning that I remembered why I had taken that rubber head piece off. The nasal seal leaks and wakes me up

Here is a pic of what happened -
The exhaust piece on the left should be near the end of hose almost directly to the right. 1st I had a hard time getting the machine to auto-start then I could hear the air rushing like there was a large leak. There was. I had to look hard to find the missing piece. I looks as if the cement holding it in place just gave up?

IF they made those exhaust holes a tiny bit smaller it might just quiet it down a bit.

The real reason I came back here was so I could remember how I disassembled my others.

Did I mention it's snowing again?

EDIT: I forgot to ask if anyone else has had this happen?

;)