AEIOMed Twilight NP - the rubber band trick

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jcarn

AEIOMed Twilight NP - the rubber band trick

Post by jcarn » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:53 am

here it is .. with 2 rubber bands you can get the aura to fit perfectly without leaks. With this simple setup, you can pull the nasal piece close to your nose to get a better seal

Items/tools needed: 2 rubber bands, your hands

STEP 1. Loop the rubber band behind the plastic piece that controls height adjustment:

STEP 2. Stretch it up top and loop it around the plastic piece next to the hose:

top view

Repeat Steps 1 and 2 for the other side

THAT'S IT! .. If you tuck it securely around the top plastic piece, it will not move and stays put. Every piece of the headgear is accessible (you can remove the nasal piece for cleaning without disrupting the elastic setup).
Best of all, only the nasal pillows touch the face, no extra straps or steps for your nightly routine.

Edit: Oops .. links repaired .. redirected pics to new site .. thanks Ozij and RG for helpin out!

Edit: In case anyone is searching, modified the subject to reflect correct name (AEIOMed Twilight NP). The newer nasal piece is much better and may not require this trick anymore!

Last edited by jcarn on Sun May 29, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:00 pm

NEAT lab-ratting, jcarn!!

And clear pictures of what you did!

Good work!!!!!!!

Edited Oct. 22, 2006:
jcarn's picture links seem to be broken. But thanks to ozij wisely having downloaded them to her computer back when jcarn first posted his rubberband fix for the Aura, here they are:

Last edited by rested gal on Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:22 pm

Now... where did I put my rubber bands?

Looks great, and thanks for those pictures!

O.

ProfessorSleep

Post by ProfessorSleep » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:51 pm

Brilliant, absolutely Brilliant! Better not use those old rubber bands in the kitchen drawer, though - could be a rude awakening if one of 'em decides to pop! I wonder what that would look like on the data readout!

Great job- thanks for sharing. I will try it tonight!

Colorado Jan

Post by Colorado Jan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:41 pm

Ohhhh, I'm EXCITED. Glad you put the pictures in so clearly...I'm going to try that! I've decided that I absolutely DESPISE my Activa mask, despite the fact that it quite clearly is the best at keeping a seal. My face hurts while I wear it from the pressure and to make matters worse...my face is positively malformed in the morning. Eyes swollen, nose swollen, cheeks swollen...what a mess.

So that leaves me with the Swift and Aura as the frontrunners....I'm glad to see a step-up in the Aura's performance!

Thanks!

Jan in Colo.

jcarn

Post by jcarn » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:06 pm

if it wasn't for this forum I probably wouldn't have experimented with the Aura .. this fix is good for someone who needs the pillows pushed more toward the face.
Hopefully this will help some of us Cpapr's ..

I renamed the subject because pantyhose rocks!

The Aura is now my new favorite mask

Last edited by jcarn on Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snoozie-guested again

Post by Snoozie-guested again » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:39 pm

Wow, thanks for this one! Had to try it on after looking at the pictures and following the directions. Picture it, I am sitting here with my Aura on while I type. This really works great!
Now I have to explain to DH why I am sitting here stupidly staring at a computer screen looking like I am from outer space with my headgear on.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:00 am

If DH doesn't know that's how we talk to the ETs, then no explanation will help!

jcarn - thanks. Tried it last nite and it works! (I had about given up on the Aura)

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:16 pm

This fix sounds like a winner! Gonna try it tonight!

Re: fix for aura - the rubber band trick

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:54 pm

Did this with my wife's aura (no new-age jokes ok?!) and it worked very well. She's pleased. Thank you! Great job!

Ted

dkeat

Very Clever

Post by dkeat » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:46 am

Thanks very much for sharing this fix. I never felt good about wrapping my head in panty hose (no offense intended to you RG). I have the bands on my Aura now and will test "in vivo" tonight. Hope the bands don't pop off.

jcarn

Post by jcarn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:47 am

I've had the elastics on for 2 nights with no pop offs .. I even plunk a little tune on them before I go to sleep.

tlawler

Post by tlawler » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:41 pm

The rubber bands are a great fix for the Aura. I used them last night without any additional bands and had no leaks. Thanks.

The big problem I have is with rainout. I have the Aussie heated hose and I even covered the short hose on the Aura with fleece. I keep my heater at 1 and after an hour or two, I get just enough condensation to make the nasal probes wet. Once they start leaking, I'm doomed for the night. I lay the Aura aside and use my Swift (which never has rainout). Last night, I used the humidifier (without heat) as a passover and had no rainout with the Aura and the heated hose. My room temp is only 63 degrees F which doesn't seem too cold to me. I read of others using the heated hose with humidifier set at 4 with no rainout. I feel like I must be missing something. Any suggestions?

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, hose, swift, rainout, Aura

jcarn

Post by jcarn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:33 pm

not sure if this will help, but I have my F&P 234 sitting on the floor next to my bed. I run the hose straight up and tacked it to the wall (with a modified curtain rod holder) so about a foot is dangling down. I connect the mask to it and there's plenty of room to toss and turn.
I don't get any rainout .. it could have to do partly with Ambient TrackingTM Plus on my machine .. but with the hose shooting straight up, that may minimize rainout for you.

tlawler

Post by tlawler » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:44 pm

I have the same arrangement with respect to the machine. I get no rainout in the big hose. the only rainout I get is in the clear tubing of the Aura below your infamous rubber bands. Small drops form and eventually run down to my nose. This tubing is so small and soft, it does not lend itself to being covered with material.
Tom