Another Nasal Aire II modification

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RosemaryB

Another Nasal Aire II modification

Post by RosemaryB » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:53 am

I've been trying the NA II and it's the best mask for me so far. I first tried the clever Topaz chinstrap modification of Babette. But that chinstrap was bothering my TMJ and was not helping my rosacea either, so I wanted to try the headband version that comes with the mask since there is nothing on your cheeks. In fact, nothing touching your face except for the headband across your forehead and the prongs. Two problems: It didn't seem stable enough, and the hose over my ear pressed into my head in an uncomfortable way.

To stabilize it I added an extra velcro loop and also wrapped the velcro loops around the band instead of just having them stick to it like the original. (Using the double sided Velcro Babette introduced us to with the chinstrap mod). The light colored velcro loop is the additional one. It looks sloppy because this isn't the loop I actually cut, it just showed up better in the photo so I used it.

To help with the hose pressing into my head, I added two removeable shoulderpads. These shoulderpads (light gray in the photo) already had a velcro piece in place so I just stuck them on. (What can I say, it's another cpap fashion statement I don't use these shoulderpads in clothing anymore since it looks passe ). Here's a photo showing the modifications.

I'm really loving this mask. I used the prongs without any ayr-gel last night, and my nares are not sore at all.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose, CPAP

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:14 pm

Nice one.
Very cool.
Nice and simple.

You can make the tubing a pony tail over your head, too, which I like better for tossing and turning.
The ways to wear these things are unlimited.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:29 pm

Woo Hoo! Looks Great, Rose! If I didn't need the chinstrap, this is definitely the way I'd go!

Do add this to the Red Faq's under the NAII links.

Cheers,
B.

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:32 pm

Okay, I just posted this to the Red FAQ list.
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:52 pm

Babette wrote:Okay, I just posted this to the Red FAQ list.
Barbara
Thanks. I didn't know you could do that. As I recover my brain, I see all kinds of things I couldn't figure out before .

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Me too! I've only just figured it out. I foofed with my NAII tip sheet today, so I could go in and edit it easier and point people to it faster.

BTW, you're on my tip sheet. Twice.
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:14 pm

How neat, Rosemary! Shoulder pads!!

You already earned a Lab Rat trophy for your Bravo fix
viewtopic.php?t=22330

Now here's a plaque to hang beside the trophy...for this cool fix.
Congrats!

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks Rested Gal! It was said elsewhere that this is an underrated mask, and I agree, so I hope this can help others who might be trying it.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:08 pm

Rosemary, I tried your idea last night and it was amazing how much stability it added to it. I use it in the poneytail configuration and I did away with the over the head strap. All it seemed to do was to pull it off the top of my head. In fact I used the parts of the over the head strap to make the tie loops. Thanks for the idea.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:31 am

6PtStar wrote:Rosemary, I tried your idea last night and it was amazing how much stability it added to it. I use it in the poneytail configuration and I did away with the over the head strap. All it seemed to do was to pull it off the top of my head. In fact I used the parts of the over the head strap to make the tie loops. Thanks for the idea.

Jerry
Hi Jerry, I'm glad you found it helpful. I found it quite a bit more stable, too with that second strap, although the "hose in front" seems to make it even more stable for me. However, I'd rather have it over my head so I might try the ponytail configuration, and see if it's stable enough.

I sometimes wake up an hour or so before the alarm for a bathroom break, so when I did last night, I took off the overhead strap. It seemed to slide around more for me, but I think that's because I'm using the shoulderpads and they go over my ears, so the strap cannot be stabilized by the ears like they would otherwise.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:41 am

I thought about the shoulder pads but my wife would not let me have any of hers! I was just getting over asking for a leg off her panty hose.

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS