Using a PC UPS for power back up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Using a PC UPS for power back up

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:19 pm

I live in an area that has frequent power outages this time of year. Have been thinking of getting a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to plug my APAP into should power go out during the night.

Has anyone tried this or have information on it?

Also trying to figure out what size UPS would provide 6 hours or so of use in worst case scenario.

I use a Remstar Auto w/C-flex. Anyone know how many watts of power this unit uses?

Any information/suggestions would be appreciated

Wayne

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:26 pm

Until someone with experience with UPS's comes along to this topic, here's a link to some interesting discussions about handling power outage situations:

LINKS to Battery operation, camping, power outage
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

cwsanfor

Post by cwsanfor » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:33 pm

Everything I know about UPS/battery power and xPAP I learned from the links RG provided, but I'll tell you what I did with that information.

On AutoPAP, I got a APC BackUPS XS 800 UPS for daily use. This a nice unit, adequate for more than 8 hours, and can be configured by the included software to not beep at you, and so forth. You can also (industrial) velcro the xPAP to the top of the UPS, and it puts the xPAP at a good height.

The AutoPAP is plugged into the UPS, and the heated humidifier into the mains or wall socket (not the UPS). I also bought a Xantrex 400 Plus for use during extended power outages. The idea was to run the AutoPAP on 12V DC during extended outages, and I can recharge off the car's battery/alternator as needed.

This was slightly complicated by my switch to BiPAP, which runs on 24V, not 12V. I would in case of multi-day outages either run the BiPAP on A/C from the Xantrex, or more likely, switch back to the APAP and run it on DC from the Xantrex. Either way, the Xantrex recharges quickly on automotive DC, and is useful for many things other than this task.

dllfo

Post by dllfo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:48 pm

My Respironics Auto BiPAP, with the HH on, uses about 55-65 watts. I measured it with the Kill-O-Watts machine.

Without the HH, it was using around 23-27 watts. Much less than I thought it would use.

Installing Software is like pushing a rope uphill.
I have Encore Pro 1.8.65 but could not find it listed
under software.

I LOVE the SV.

ThunderSnorem

Post by ThunderSnorem » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:34 pm

I've been on CPAP for about 2 months. The first thing I wanted was a power outage alarm to wake me if the power got cut off. I have a house wide generator since I have frequent (1 per month avg) outages.

I found the alarms online for about 40 bucks, and then saw a deal on buy . com for a 550 KvA PC UPS for about the same amount. Having worked with UPS' in the past, I knew they have an alarm that sounds when on mains cuts off and it runs on the battery. They generally condition the power as well, smoothing it out and reducing/eliminating surges, brownouts, other voltage fluctuations, thus protecting your xPAP as well.

I looked in my manual, and saw that my Resmed s8 and HH use about 300 or so watts peak when the heating element is on. WIthout the HH, it uses much less than 100 watts.

This unit should give me adequate warning when the mains go out, and a few minutes (30 or so, if not more) running power if the power does indeed go out. At that point I'd fire up the whole house generater if needed.

If you want to run all night on a UPS, you'd need to get one with plenty of reserve that will meet your needs. Find out the power consuption, then refer to the websites for UPS', such as APC. They should have sizing guides online.

ignorant1

Post by ignorant1 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:07 pm

Please understand that this information could be overkill and not relevant, but it should be noted:

I’m not sure of how this could/would specifically affect certain units, but the voltage output waveform for most backup power supplies is a square, rather than a sinusoidal wave. This can definitely wreak havoc with some sensitive electronics. Perhaps the power supply/transformers in the xPAP machines may filter this out, but… I don’t know. Perhaps someone here has a background in electrical engineering & could comment on this.

P.S. I know that several years ago, APC had UPS’s with a modified output wave form that emulated the sine wave pattern.