Little jacket for CL2 Nasal Piece

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gasp

Little jacket for CL2 Nasal Piece

Post by gasp » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:04 pm

I finally have had it with taking off my CL2 nasal piece once or twice a night to dump the water out of it.

I went hunting for microfleece and found a winter hiking headband and deconstructed it. I sewed a little cover/jacket for the nasal piece. This jacket isn't removable, however if it works, I'll take it apart using it as a template and sew it again using a Velcro closure.

I sure hope this works tonight!

Re: Little jacket for CL2 Nasal Piece

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:47 pm

I was thinking of trying aluminum foil as mentioned in that other post. Another thought was just swapping out with my spare piece.

SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:40 pm

I love this! I think I am about to cut up a headband and give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:11 pm

I opened this thread because I thought that someone else had found a way to cover the headgear hose to the nasal interface, be it any of the 3 choices, i.e. Nasal Pillows, Simple Seal, and Direct Seal. This is the small hose that goes over the forehead to the angle adjuster. (I tried to find a picture of the hose, but it apparently is the ONLY piece of a CL 2 that cannot be replaced!) Here is a picture of the CL 2 for reference purposes: ComfortLite 2 Mask at cpap.com

Padacheek Karen made the PERFECT hose cover for this little hose. I was fitted just beautifully, and was
a very spiffy looking purple, as well. It helped a great deal for me. I also used a long hose cover with the little hose cover,and the combination of the two made rainout a dimly recalled event.Image

Karen,
Who likes the right amount of humidity
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Gasp.....

You've posted twice as many messages as I have....so, you've been around long enough to know how everyone fights rainout.

However, I've got a suggestion you might not have tried.

I'm using an Aura mask.....a nasal headrest type rig....and I had breath condensation problems inside my nose-piece.
Sometimes, that exhaled breath-condensation would condense into a couple of big drops.....run right into my nose....and cause instant profanity as I was waking up.

I installed a piece of cotton string inside my nose-piece....just enough absorption capability to catch a couple of big drops...before they woke me up. The technique works perfectly....and was "approved" by Rested Gal. The cotton string (thick stuff...like what butchers use to tie up a beef-roast) takes up very little room....and causes no obstruction.

Someone else has done the same thing with another mask....with similar results. There was a recent discussion where a bunch of us were swapping suggestions as to what absorptive material to use.....and the best one I saw was the "cotton cord from the waist-band" of some jogging pants. Also, I purchased an old fashioned kerosene lantern wick from my local Ace Hardware store....and found that it was cotton, measured 1" wide, and about 3/32" thick.

Because I used a CL-2 before I began using the Aura, I happen to have some old nose-pieces that I just dug out of the box to see what can be done.

You have lots of room inside the CL-2 nose-piece to put a piece of cotton cord, a piece of lantern wick, a piece of cotton shoe-lace, or anything that takes up little room...but that has good absorption qualities.

I've been using cotton string inside my mask for a couple of months......and I have completely stopped my rainout problem. Naturally, I have already insulated my hose, turned my humidifier to its lowest comfortable setting, and keep my bedroom temperature & humidity relatively constant.

I think the solution to your problem is to think "internal wick"....instead of "external cover".

If you want to read all the pros & cons of what I am doing, you can find the old thread where I disclosed my technique. One of the other forum members posted some pictures for me (I still don't know how to do that)....and the pictures show the complete system I worked out for the Aura.

Hope this helps..........

Gerald

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:09 am

You might consider a clean cotton shoestring too.

SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:56 am

birdshell wrote:I opened this thread because I thought that someone else had found a way to cover the headgear hose to the nasal interface, be it any of the 3 choices, i.e. Nasal Pillows, Simple Seal, and Direct Seal. This is the small hose that goes over the forehead to the angle adjuster. (I tried to find a picture of the hose, but it apparently is the ONLY piece of a CL 2 that cannot be replaced!) Here is a picture of the CL 2 for reference purposes: ComfortLite 2 Mask at cpap.com

Padacheek Karen made the PERFECT hose cover for this little hose. I was fitted just beautifully, and was
a very spiffy looking purple, as well. It helped a great deal for me. I also used a long hose cover with the little hose cover,and the combination of the two made rainout a dimly recalled event.Image

Karen,

Karen, thanks for sharing this! I woke up this morning saying, "I've had it with the CL2!" I had to dry out the nose cover at 2, 4, and 6 am. I got almost NO good rest because of it. I know I am having the problem because of the hose on the top of the mask, and I was looking for a stocking cap I could wear last night, but decided that was too much pressure on my head.

If I stay with this mask, it is good to know that Karen can make a little cover for the little hose in the front!

Thanks again.

gasp

Post by gasp » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:39 am

birdshell wrote:I opened this thread because I thought that someone else had found a way to cover the headgear hose to the nasal interface, be it any of the 3 choices, i.e. Nasal Pillows, Simple Seal, and Direct Seal. This is the small hose that goes over the forehead to the angle adjuster. (I tried to find a picture of the hose, but it apparently is the ONLY piece of a CL 2 that cannot be replaced!) Here is a picture of the CL 2 for reference purposes: ComfortLite 2 Mask at cpap.com

Karen,
I didn't find a headgear hose cover on padacheek. Did she make it custom for you? If not, would you copy the link to it on this thread? Thanks so much Karen.

gasp

Post by gasp » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:52 am

Gerald wrote:Gasp.....

You've posted twice as many messages as I have....so, you've been around long enough to know how everyone fights rainout.

However, I've got a suggestion you might not have tried.

I'm using an Aura mask.....a nasal headrest type rig....and I had breath condensation problems inside my nose-piece.
Sometimes, that exhaled breath-condensation would condense into a couple of big drops.....run right into my nose....and cause instant profanity as I was waking up.

I installed a piece of cotton string inside my nose-piece....just enough absorption capability to catch a couple of big drops...before they woke me up. The technique works perfectly....and was "approved" by Rested Gal. The cotton string (thick stuff...like what butchers use to tie up a beef-roast) takes up very little room....and causes no obstruction.

Someone else has done the same thing with another mask....with similar results. There was a recent discussion where a bunch of us were swapping suggestions as to what absorptive material to use.....and the best one I saw was the "cotton cord from the waist-band" of some jogging pants. Also, I purchased an old fashioned kerosene lantern wick from my local Ace Hardware store....and found that it was cotton, measured 1" wide, and about 3/32" thick.

Because I used a CL-2 before I began using the Aura, I happen to have some old nose-pieces that I just dug out of the box to see what can be done.

You have lots of room inside the CL-2 nose-piece to put a piece of cotton cord, a piece of lantern wick, a piece of cotton shoe-lace, or anything that takes up little room...but that has good absorption qualities.

I've been using cotton string inside my mask for a couple of months......and I have completely stopped my rainout problem. Naturally, I have already insulated my hose, turned my humidifier to its lowest comfortable setting, and keep my bedroom temperature & humidity relatively constant.

I think the solution to your problem is to think "internal wick"....instead of "external cover".

If you want to read all the pros & cons of what I am doing, you can find the old thread where I disclosed my technique. One of the other forum members posted some pictures for me (I still don't know how to do that)....and the pictures show the complete system I worked out for the Aura.

Hope this helps..........

Gerald
Is this the link you're thinking of? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34883&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... erald+wick

I found it through Google searching for: cpaptalk gerald wick

The little white jacket cut down on the condensation, and with the wick it may be eliminated altogether. I'll give that a try. Also, I need to better cover the swivel, headgear hose, and piece that goes down to nose piece. I think I'll cut an oblong piece of wool and sew elastic into the edges creating an outer cap for the entire headgear. Then I'll wrap the piece that goes down to the nose piece in fleece.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:22 pm

gasp wrote:
birdshell wrote:

Karen,
I didn't find a headgear hose cover on padacheek. Did she make it custom for you? If not, would you copy the link to it on this thread? Thanks so much Karen.

Yeppers, that Karen/padacheek is an amazing woman. She did custom make the cover for me, but I'm sure she would do the same for you.

Karen/birdshell,
Who knows that all Karens have the best first name in the whole world for US! Image

Please Click Here--Free
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:48 pm

Gasp......

Following is the link to the rainout prevention work I did with the Aura mask.........back in August of this year.

viewtopic/p302280/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3 ... &sk=t&sd=a

Gerald

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:10 pm

birdshell wrote:
gasp wrote:
birdshell wrote:

Karen,

Yeppers, that Karen/padacheek is an amazing woman. She did custom make the cover for me, but I'm sure she would do the same for you.

Karen/birdshell,
Who knows that all Karens have the best first name in the whole world for US! Image

Please Click Here--Free
Wow, you were really fortunate to get one : ) I'll try knitting or sewing a piece of wool and make a slip over cap for the entire headgear. Probably this week. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Now that you mention it, I've liked every Karen I've ever met - except for the one that beat me in tract during high school : ))))

SleepyNoMore

Post by SleepyNoMore » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:33 pm

Awww Gasp,

That is sooooo cute, I have and use a Headrest & Comfort Lite 11, hopefully someday soon i'll try this, it looks like agreat idea, did I mention how cute it is???

SleepyNoMore

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)

gasp

Post by gasp » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:58 am

SleepyNoMore wrote:Awww Gasp,

That is sooooo cute, I have and use a Headrest & Comfort Lite 11, hopefully someday soon i'll try this, it looks like agreat idea, did I mention how cute it is???

SleepyNoMore

It is cute - and only reduces the condensation by about 1/2. However, perhaps with Gerald's wick fix it might be just the thing! Last night I swapped back to the nose piece without the jacket and had to dump out the water 3-4 times! With the jacket I only have to dump it 1-2 times.

I'm going to redo the jacket so it can come off and perhaps incorporate the wick using organic cotton if I can find organic wick-like material.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:56 am

Gasp....

100% Cotton...is 100% Organic.

My cotton string works great.

Gerald