My Best Nights Sleep Yet... a Hose Hanger!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
backdoc

My Best Nights Sleep Yet... a Hose Hanger!

Post by backdoc » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:09 am

I can't believe what a difference this setup made. I went to sleep, I woke up. No need to adjust my Swift Nasal Pillows because of leakage, no waking up because the hose made that awful noise that it makes when it drags across the headboard.

Thanks to all of you for helping me to avoid reinventing the wheel with respect to getting comfortable with Hoseheadedness.

Here is a link to what I purchased that made such a difference, this combined with Pad-a-Cheeks have made me rethink ditching this nosehair dryer and going back to the land of desats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Steve

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Happy to hear you've gotten some more pieces of the "cpap treatment" puzzle comfortably into place, Steve.

It's things like that (that most DMEs wouldn't even know to suggest) that can make the difference between
being able to actually sleep with "CPAP" or eventually give up in mask-tugging-leaking frustration.

I took the liberty of saving the picture from the eBay site you mentioned:

Cool design!

Similar principle as the swivel arm plant hanger I bought (Lowe's? Wal-Mart? can't remember where)
and attached permanently to the wall above the head of my bed:

When I want to cover the stuff up, I put a pillow against the wall:

My mask in those pictures is a "deconstructed" (all the headgear removed) Twilight NP.
That's a mask that was formerly called the "Aura" or "Headrest". And yeah, those red straps are
cut-off legs from a pair of pantyhose tights. Nice, soft, stretchy straps.

The white pillow in the picture is a PAPillow. The main air hose is an Aussie heated hose
(heated cpap tube) from sleepzone.com.au

These things are what I've been using for a long time. The heated hose for almost three years,
the deconstructed "Aura" for about two years, the swivel-arm plant hanger for two years,
and the PAPillow for over a year.

Oh...almost forgot. There is a machine, too. LOL!!

Now you see it:

Now you don't:

The funnel to the left of the machine is for adding more distilled water easily without
removing the humidifier water chamber. There's a little PVC elbow connecting the main air hose to the
top of the humidifier water chamber. It's much easier to simply lift the elbow off than to wrestle
with getting a rubber hose cuff off. Saves wear and tear on the cuff.

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Georgio

Re: My Best Nights Sleep Yet... a Hose Hanger!

Post by Georgio » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 am

I have windows over my bed, so this is my intrepretation:

It works great. Parts include: 6 ft piece of 1/8" by 1 1/4" aluminum bar, bent 90 deg. and drilled on each end for screws.
Swivel type plant hanger.
2 - 2" dia. key rings.
It only took about 30 min. to fabricate. This method is more comfortable that having the hose in bed with you.

Thanks for all your tips!

Georgio
Last edited by Georgio on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

carbonman

Re:

Post by carbonman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 am

rested gal wrote: The white pillow in the picture is a PAPillow.
RG, I don't want to hijack this thread, BUT, do you recommend that pillow?
I have been looking for a pillow, can't find one that I like.
Thanks!
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:04 pm

Image[/img]Image

Here's mine - also bought on ebay. It just swivels where I want it. A small board goes between mattress and box springs. I like it at the side of the bed. I can't remember who I bought it from! It works well too. It comes apart for travelling as the first one on this thread does, I think.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

gasp

Post by gasp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:31 pm

I just got back from a trip and saw I the Travel HoseBuddy I ordered from CPAP.com had arrived.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/travel ... ystem.html

This is the picture as it appears on the CPAP.com site:

I bought this travel version and wondered if it would perform as well as the heavier version that is also sold on CPAP.com. I don't own the heavier version to actually do a comparison, but the lighter travel version performed wonderfully for me. I took this picture of the Travel Buddy as it comes in the heavy duty plastic case. It looks like it will travel nicely in luggage.

Last night was my first night using the hanger and I LOVED it! I slept heavier and longer than I have for some time. I had absolutely zero rainout, I believe both because the hose heads sharply upward from the machine to the Travel Buddy and because the hose is further away from the cool floor. I didn't have to wake up to re-position my hose like I used to do many nights when it got caught on the corners of my pillow. I also didn't have to wake up to reposition my mask from the weight/drag of the hose on my mask loosening the seal of the mask. It was as if I was just wearing a mask and the hose didn't exist.

Backdoc, I join you in having my best nights sleep yet!

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:11 pm

Just a tangent thought - I found once I put a fleece snuggly on my hose, I no longer got the horrible noise of the hose rippling along the headboard. Helped immensely in my comfort level.

I bought that hanger that the first poster mentioned. I never used it, as I found that I can just run my hose along the top of the mattress and I'm perfectly comfortable. I traded it to RobbieH. Don't know if she ever used it. I was pleased with the Ebay transaction, and I'm pleased the guy making them is selling again. He was offline for several months, and I worried he might have died or given up the business.

Cheers,
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:21 pm

Yes, carbonman, I like that pillow very much. The "double edge PAPillow."

It's the one at the top on this page: https://www.cpap.com/productSearch.php? ... y=papillow

On another note, Hawthorne's pic of her setup was cool. Beside her M series machine, I spied the same heated humidifier I like to use with an M machine. The Fisher and Paykel HC 150 humidifier. Holds a LOT more water than the dinky little M series water chamber. Easier/quicker to fill, too...if you're into "just adding more" (as I am) distilled water, rather than dumping water out every morning.

Georgio, that's a beautiful solution you came up with for hanging the hose with a window behind your bed! Good lab-ratting!

And gasp... glad to hear how the "Hose Buddy" did for you. Sure does look like it would pack easily. Very cool.

my edit -- corrected my mistaken "him/his" to "her" for Hawthorne! My apologies to a very nice lady nicknamed "Hawthorne."
Thanks for the PM reminder, ozij ...who also is a very nice "she."
Last edited by rested gal on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Wonderingwoman

Post by Wonderingwoman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm also interested in the pillow and the ebay link to the hanger.

Thanks

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:11 am

You're right about that humdifier and the M Series machines, Rested Gal! It's THANKS TO YOU- that I got that humdifier!

Right now I'm just using it in passover mode and top it off, as you said, each night or couple of nights. When winter comes, here in Ontario Canada, I may need some heated humidity but this ones give such a range it will be great I'm sure.

Thanks, Rested Gal, for suggesting this one!!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:22 am

WARNING! THREAD HIJACK!

So.... The great thing about the F&P HC 150 is NOT JUST that you can refill it less often... It has a wider range of HH settings than the dinky M Series HH? Now you've caught my attention. If they have a setting of .5, I'd be interested. 1 can be too much sometimes, and 0 can leave me with dried out membranes.

Can anyone verify that they've found a setting that is LESS than the M series 1 setting, and yet not zero, with the F&P HC 150?

Thanks much!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:07 am

Babette - I just went and turned mine on to see if I could set it below 1. I have not used HH since I bought it (actually ( used 1 1/2 one night) when it was cold outside here.

When I tried it now, it SEEMED that I had it just under the 1 and I got a slight bit of heat. It has a very "finickly" little setting dial and I have arthritis so the fingers don't work too well.

It did appear that it was just below one and the heat plate was just warm.

You may have to wait for someone to reply who has tried a below 1 setting or who has more dexterity in their fingers and can try it out for you on their F& P HC 150.

Sorry! I tried and wanted to let you know BUT my findings amy not be accurate!

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:31 am

God love you Hawthorne, for trying!!!!! You're the BEST!!!

Okay, now I have to contemplate this. 'spose I should start with finding out how much a new HH would cost me. Particularly since I JUST BOUGHT A NEW HH CHAMBER for the M Series. Isn't that always the way?

MANY THANKS!!!
Babs

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:28 am

You're entirely welcome Babette! Always glad to help, if I can. Sorry I couldn't be more accurate for you. I even looked at the documentation that came with the F & P but it doesn't say anything about the settings. I guess they think we can figure it out!?!?!

I bought my F&P HC 150 at cpap.com. You can look up the price. I've had it for several months and don't remember the cost.

Actually, I am in the same boat as you right now! I really like the F& P stand alone humidifier, but I am also considering upgrading my M Series HH to the new one since it is handier that the F & P one for travel. Did you buy the new staggered tubes one with the round seals? That's what I want. I have the older one but, with all the leak problems, I just don't trust it.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:39 am

I didn't buy the new humidifier itself, just the replacement chamber. I am at the end of my FSA plan year, and needed to spend the rest of my money, so I stocked up on CPAP supplies.

I have the old style M Series HH, not the staggered style. But now I have the new improved chamber. And an extra staggered J tube lid. Anyone want it?

Thanks much!
B.