A bit hopeless (updated)...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:25 pm

The situation of you sleeping on your back could account for the high pressure you're having to try to get used to. It's entirely possible that you could get by with less pressure if you could sleep on your side.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

NickD25

Post by NickD25 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:54 pm

There's only one problem with the tape right now, the DME have lend me both the CF2 and the Quattro so in the event that I don't take the Quattro, I don't want to present them with a tapped mask . About my sleeping position and my pressure, I think the biggest problem isn't sleeping on my back but the weight I gain in the past few years. My doctor told me that when I'll start losing weight, the pressure will also drop, so I'm pretty confident that 17 won't be for long.

Pressure: 16-22
On therapy since 12/06/07

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:01 pm

NickD25 wrote:There's only one problem with the tape right now, the DME have lend me both the CF2 and the Quattro so in the event that I don't take the Quattro, I don't want to present them with a tapped mask . About my sleeping position and my pressure, I think the biggest problem isn't sleeping on my back but the weight I gain in the past few years. My doctor told me that when I'll start losing weight, the pressure will also drop, so I'm pretty confident that 17 won't be for long.
Teflon plumber's pipe thread tape is NOT sticky like other types of tape. It does somewhat stick to itself, but does not have an adhesive.....so, it could be easily removed.

Good luck.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

mindy

Post by mindy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:13 am

Hi Nick,

Will post pix a little later when my mask is dry. One of them will also show the teflon tape on the elbow. Those holes are there for a reason --- safety if, for example, the power goes out in the middle of a night.

m

Like the avatar --- I've been calling myself "Dartha"

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

mindy

Post by mindy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Hi Nick,

Here are the photos:

1. Photo of small piece of silicone putty at top of hard plastic triangle and you can see what the tefleon tape on the elbow looks like when it's assembled:

2. Photo of the mask put back together (except for elbow on the side) showing silicone putty and teflon tape on the elbow.

I now keep the forehead piece at about a 12 and the top straps relatively loose, with bottom straps a bit tighter. Leaks are reasonable.

I suspect that eventually I may be able to reduce or eliminate the silicone putty once I get used to having headgear looser. At one time I had lots of problems with big leaks and especially leaking into my eyes. I've recently found that the eye leaks seem to be related to how I have the whole mask positioned - i.e. they can still happen even with silicone putty but if I shift mask around a little they disappear.

Also, sleep tech showed me with another FF how to hold it away from my face with the machine on and then let it drop onto my face. That way the pressure helps to seal the cushion onto the face.

Finally, one other note about Quattro and FF generally: a good example of how we have different facial structures is what I noticed after reading posts asking about mouth breathing with the Quattro. I checked last night since I didn't remember mouth breathing with it (no chipmunk cheeks, etc). What I noticed is that, for me, the spot where the mask hits (just in the cleft of my chin) keeps my mouth closed ... don't think I could open my mouth with mask on even if I wanted to.

This is all totally unscientific ... it's really an example of what I think seems to work for me!

Best of luck with finding your best method!
m

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

defrankc

Post by defrankc » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:26 pm

Wulfman wrote:
Slinky wrote:Someone called or e-mailed Resmed about the elbow leak problem and was told by Resmed that it was a known defect in some Quattros and that they should return it to their local DME for replacement of the defective elbow.
Personally, I've got more faith in the Teflon tape doing a better job of fixing it than ResMed.

Den

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:55 am

Nick,

I used the teflon tape on the quattro loaner I had and it comes right off so no issues about presenting them with a return with tape

m

NickD25

Post by NickD25 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:44 pm

Sorry for not posting earlier.

I have set an appointment with my DME tomorrow morning. I'll have my card read but from what I could gather from the lcd screen, my AHI has went up since using large masks so there could be problem #1 (from 4.6 to 6.5!). Also, I think that the CF2 is just not the mask I need so having it in large or medium won't change anything. I'll try to have an UMFF and a Quattro medium tomorrow and talk about an APAP machine as well. Fortunately, my DME is really open when it comes to different treatments so changing machines shouldn't be a problem.

Mindy: thanks a lot for the pictures! However I think those will come in handy after tomorrow. Also, about my Darth Vader avatar, that's the first character that came to my mind when my sleep doctor told me I would need a machine

gasp

Post by gasp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:04 am

Wulfman wrote:
Slinky wrote:Interesting that you've tried the Quattro Large when the ComfortFull Large AND the ComfortFull Medium didn't work for you. My understanding is that the Quattro tends to run large so unless you just plain didn't like the Quattro at all, perhaps going to a smaller size Quattro would work for you. I understand that the Ultra Mirage FF tends to run larger than the Quattro.

Aside from having a fully data capable xPAP set at the proper pressure for you the MASK fit and comfort is THE key to xPAP success. In fact we can do better w/the pressure a little "off" IF we have a PROPER and COMFORTABLE fitting mask than we can with the "perfect" pressure and an ill-fitting, uncomfortable mask. Maybe you should consider trying the ComfortFull Small since the Medium has worked best for you but still left you w/large leaks?

The Mack's original Silicone Ear Plugs are NOT that expensive. Have you at least bought a pack and tried playing around w/it as best you can given the instructions posted in the forum?? I bought some at Rite-Aid just to try.
Other way around, Slinky. The same-size Quattro seems to feel a larger than the UMFF.

Also, the "Comfortfull 2" mask wouldn't work worth a darn for me. Was the most uncomfortable of the three that I've used and it felt like it leaked like a sieve. And, hurt my chin at my gumline.

Den

gasp

Post by gasp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:08 am

mindy wrote:Hi Nick,

Here are the photos: . . .
Nice pictures : )
mindy wrote: Also, sleep tech showed me with another FF how to hold it away from my face with the machine on and then let it drop onto my face. That way the pressure helps to seal the cushion onto the face.
I do this with the Quattro during the night. I told Slinky this in another thread. My husband definitely hears the rush of air escaping when I do this as last night when I did it he said "thar she blows" - we laughed so long it was hard getting back to sleep.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:37 am

[quote="gaspMy husband definitely hears the rush of air escaping when I do this as last night when I did it he said "thar she blows" - we laughed so long it was hard getting back to sleep.
[/quote]

Oh my, Gasp - wish I had been a fly on the wall to hear that one

I'm still experimenting with my Quattro. About size -- I seem to generally take a medium so I tried the Quattro small but it came down too far on my nose. I guess which size could be related to facial feature size in specific dimensions???

With my medium Quattro, I finally got it to seal last night without the silicone putty -- after all that work

Actually, I don't really mind. When things don't go well I tend to get frustrated and panicky very easily so finding a partial solution helps me to calm down and think things through. I had noticed the other night that the bottom of the Q was falling at exactly the cleft of my chin and I couldn't open my mouth. Since then, it gradually sank in and got me to wondering if I had it positioned up too high up. So last night I took off the silicone putty and moved it down a little and did the usual "pull it off my face with hose on and then let it drop down" routine and I had a great night with minimal wake ups. Who'd a thought .....

Mindy

jqp

Post by jqp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:48 am

I'll tell you my experience...

DME gave me a F&P 431 Medium... leaked like a sieve.

Took it back, they gave me a Comfortful 2 medium... leaked & hurt.

went to the sleep lab. They gave me a Quattro medium... better, but still leaked.

People kept telling me to make the straps looser... which was rediculous... the second I loosened them, the thing would lose it's entire seal and blow air everywhere. The only way to make it seal was to crank on the straps. It sealed, but hurt.

For fun, I bought a Small Quattro on cpapauction.com for $50.

BINGO!

It works like a champ now. No more leaks, and the straps aren't so tight it hurts.

Try a diffrerent size.

NickD25

Post by NickD25 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:09 pm

Ok so here's was today's experience at the DME.

I had my smartcard read for the first time in a week and a half and, well, not so surprisingly, there was tons of leak. My "real" AHI average is 6.1 and I do have hyponea while I'm near my deep sleep (mostly because I breath very slowy). Anyway, I tried on the Quattro medium along with a F&P 432. Oddly enough, the F&P 432 was pretty nice at the DME but when I put it on back home, it leaks like crazy, so I guess I'll sleep with the Quattro medium.

Also, P, I ask him for a small Quattro. I tried it on, NO LEAKS!! But there was a major problem, I couldn't breathe because the pressure was too concentrated in the small mask.

So I'll go back in a week and if there's still problems, he's going to give a call to my sleep doctor and they'll change my machine, probably for an auto or a BiPAP. Hopefully an auto biPAP.

Just need some teflon tape and I'm all set. Honestly, I would like to change my machine but if it works...

NickD25

Post by NickD25 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:10 am

Bump for update...

Please read the first post.

Thanks,

Nick

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:16 am

Anonymous wrote:[quote="gaspMy husband definitely hears the rush of air escaping when I do this as last night when I did it he said "thar she blows" - we laughed so long it was hard getting back to sleep.
Oh my, Gasp - wish I had been a fly on the wall to hear that one

I'm still experimenting with my Quattro. About size -- I seem to generally take a medium so I tried the Quattro small but it came down too far on my nose. I guess which size could be related to facial feature size in specific dimensions???

With my medium Quattro, I finally got it to seal last night without the silicone putty -- after all that work

Actually, I don't really mind. When things don't go well I tend to get frustrated and panicky very easily so finding a partial solution helps me to calm down and think things through. I had noticed the other night that the bottom of the Q was falling at exactly the cleft of my chin and I couldn't open my mouth. Since then, it gradually sank in and got me to wondering if I had it positioned up too high up. So last night I took off the silicone putty and moved it down a little and did the usual "pull it off my face with hose on and then let it drop down" routine and I had a great night with minimal wake ups. Who'd a thought .....

Mindy