what is wrong with me

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FLIGHTYONE

what is wrong with me

Post by FLIGHTYONE » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:12 pm

well I have been trying my best to do the cpap every night like i promised the doctor but I am ready to give up again, I am still having problems with leaks, I have to make the mask super tight on my face so it doesnt leak and when I do that I have marks left on my face, and now I have a sore on the bridge of my nose that hurts when I put the mask on so I am waking up at night time, with my nose hurting, I just dont know what to do
when I get it to stop leaking now by making it super tight it leaks right below my eyes, never right away it happens a couple hours into sleeping
what can I do, I want to keep doing the cpap but I am getting even less sleep cause of all the problems

jasper

Post by jasper » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:23 pm

I have the same problem with either FF mask I've tried. If you must go the FF route, many have had success with the Hybrid or Liberty. If I get another mask it will be one of those two. I likewise can't tolerate anything on the bridge of my nose, and get lots of leaks and marks with the F&P 432 or the CF2.

Nothing wrong with you. You're like many of us out here looking for the ideal mask.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:29 pm

What is your pressure setting?

Why doesn't your DME help you get a correct mask to fit comfortably and without leaks?

Tell you doc that you are having problems and if the DME is at fault have your doc do something about it or fire your doc and find a new one.

The machine you have is the cheapest machine a DME can give you in order to maximize their profits at your painful expense. Ask for a mchine that will provide efficacy data so you can monitor your leaks in a quantitative way. But more importantly, get your DME/doc to fit you with the right mask ... the most critical part of your equipment.

Best wishes and hang in there.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:36 pm

The mask is either the wrong size or not properly adjusted. Cranking it down so tight will usually make the leaks worse......and especially if it's the wrong size.

Your "medical professionals" may have set you up for failure.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

FLIGHTYONE

Post by FLIGHTYONE » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:16 pm

my pressure is a 12 so it isnt that bad of a pressure to do this, i think
I have been to the DME twice this week alone, he seems to be very helpful and is always wanting me to take new mask but i am thinking of my insurance, and the machine I got cost me 1600 dollars so I am afraid to ask for another, and the mask was 400 i think, not sure about the mask, but i know I had to get a new hose it that is 45 dollars, so I just dont know what to do, I will call the DME right now and sat up another appt to see him on monday
thanks
and I go to my doctor on Tuesday, and he will do whatever I need to get this fixed he is GREAT

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:40 pm

If you are paying those kind of prices out of pocket, take a knife with you for your next visit. You need to cut your DME some slack. You should never pay more out of pocket than you can buy it for online here. You could have had top of the line, and a lot of money left over. They sure aren't giving you any vaule, while overcharging you. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

mindy

Post by mindy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:48 pm

Goofproof wrote:If you are paying those kind of prices out of pocket, take a knife with you for your next visit. You need to cut your DME some slack. You should never pay more out of pocket than you can buy it for online here. You could have had top of the line, and a lot of money left over. They sure aren't giving you any vaule, while overcharging you. Jim
Agreed! Also, there are possible solutions to too tight on bridge of nose. I've been working on my Quattro loaner and hope to post pix this weekend but I went from almost open sores on bridge of nose in one night to no marks at all. I've heard so much about the Mack's earplugs silicone putty that I decided to try some. I took the cushion and cushion holder off the mask and then put some silicone putty in the hard plastic triangle that sits on the bridge of the nose. Also added padacheek Quattro to cover forehead piece and bridge of nose. Then put cushion and holder back in place. Voila - all marks gone!

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:57 pm

FLIGHTYONE wrote:my pressure is a 12 so it isnt that bad of a pressure to do this, i think
I have been to the DME twice this week alone, he seems to be very helpful and is always wanting me to take new mask but i am thinking of my insurance, and the machine I got cost me 1600 dollars so I am afraid to ask for another, and the mask was 400 i think, not sure about the mask, but i know I had to get a new hose it that is 45 dollars, so I just dont know what to do, I will call the DME right now and sat up another appt to see him on monday
thanks
and I go to my doctor on Tuesday, and he will do whatever I need to get this fixed he is GREAT
Well your pressure is not high enough to be giving you any significant grief towards your leaks which menas your mask is not properly fitted or you need a different mask altogether.

As Jim said, if those are the prices you have been charged you need to change DME ASAP cuz they are taking you for a joy ride. Your machine is the cheapest that ResMed makes. You really need to discuss with your doc to write a specific Rx for a Respironics M Auto with AFLEX machine. With that machine you can maximize your pressure comfort as well as monitor your treatment in order to debug any treatment issues.

Hopefully, you are still in a rental period or can take that machine back.

Take care and hang in there.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:25 pm

F1, I use an Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask also and I've found there is a product called "Mack's Pillow Soft Ear Plugs".....available at Wally World in the ear/nose section for about $5 for 12. They are little discs of silicone putty material.

I take one of them, break it in half and then roll 1/2 between my fingers into a small rope about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long, then flatten it a bit and press it onto the mask seal part that fits around the top of your nose. If you make sure your fingers and the mask seal material are clean, it will stick, although loosely at first. Then I take the remaining 1/2, break in in 1/2 and roll out 2 more little ropes, about 1" long, then flatten them and put one at each side of the bottom of the cheek seal. Then, I carefully put on the mask.....adjusted pretty loosely...and it seals like a dream! Also, adjust your mask at your high pressure, NOT at low pressure!! This may hold you till Tuesday when you see your great Dr. I usually get 3-4 nights out of each application.

Good luck.

Kajun

deglorious

Post by deglorious » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Try the Pad A Cheeks Nose Bridge Protection Pad. Using my old nasal mask, I had a sore nose and I used that pad and all the marks went away.

Now I have Quattro, like yourself, and I am going to order the Pad A Cheek pad for my new mask, as the sore is coming back; I highly recommend it.

Also, I learned on the forum that the mask should just be floating on your face, not tight to maximize a good seal. That worked for me too and I've applied it to my Quattro, too.

You can reach Pad A Cheeks at http://www.padacheeck.com or treeloftstudio@yahoo.com. Good luck.

Deglorious