Gidgie needs to know.....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gidgie

Gidgie needs to know.....

Post by Gidgie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:43 pm

Hj, I'm back ....again!
Real serious-like tho....I need help.....that's not new, I guess, but it's serious stuff this time. Last weekend we were hit with a huge snow storm that doused our electricity from 10 pm one day 'til 6 pm the next......and I found out really fast that any attempt to sleep is tantamount to strangulation. It seems I have become just too accustomed to being supercharged while I sleep....not like the 'good old days' when I struggled and snorted and gasped my way through the night, blissfully unaware of my nightly dances with death.
So.....some of you clever guys can advise me on how to put together a backup battery system....one that could last me more than one night, and that I could recharge once the juice is back in the lines again. Ineed this to be pretty easy and dependable......i.e. going out to start a generator is not a middle of the night option......
Canadian sources would be helpful, too.

Thanx.......Gidgie

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi Gidgie!

Until someone comes along to answer your question specifically, here's a clickable link that might help:

LINKS to Battery operation, camping, power outage
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

CRMW

Post by CRMW » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:50 pm

I purchased the 12 volt DC Power Cord (connects CPAP to cigarette lighter socket) for the Remstar. I have the one from CPAP.COM, however I think they can be purchased from Circuit City (formerly Radio Shack). I have a Motomaster Eliminator 700A Booster Pack from Canadian Tire to boost my cars, it has a Cigarette lighter sccket. Mine is getting old and has seen lots of use, but still has enough power to last 1 night. It won't power the heated humidifier so I use it as a passover. If you need more than one night, an new one might last longer but you could either buy 2 or a Motomaster Eliminator 1,200A PowerBox.

Here is the link to the booster pack.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 2427772902

Here is the link to the Power box
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 2428878064

CRMW

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:41 am

gidgie:

another route is to call your power company and ask if there is a blackout provision for those with necessary electrical medical equipment. here in the us, my power company said that if they have a letter from my doctor saying that my equipment is medically necessary, they will run just enough power to my house to run my cpap in a blackout. you might check whether that is true where you are and whether your doc will write a letter for you.

caroline

chdurie2

Post by chdurie2 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:43 am

ah yes, truly me. log-in failed.

caroline

Gidgie

Post by Gidgie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanx a whole great heap.......G, here will be checking out Canadian Tire's goodies next time I get near a store.....a tip of the hat....er...mask???..to you, CRMW.. May I one day soon be safe from the climatic drama of a changing world...
Good to hear from you, Caroline, and you too, RG. Good to know you,re still here....like a light in the window.... Unfortunately, Caroline, the power company can't help me when our power goes down.....there's just no juice there for them to play with, like last weekend......Most places they couldn't even go without a plow truck in front of them, clearing the road. Heavy, wet snow clings to everything, from powerlines to tree branches,making them incredibly heavy and often bringing them down, along with phone lines, and since there is no cell service in this area, our wee hamlet gets left entirely to our own devices. Our community has a generator used for emergency power at the community hall, which serves as a marshalling point, info center, source of hot coffee, hot food (has restraunt-style gas-fueled kitchen, and anything else we think we might need. The rest is up to us as individuals.

CRMW

Post by CRMW » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:55 pm

Glad to help Gidgie, I personaly prefer the booster pack as they are smaller, lighter and easier to carry around. They go on sale fairly often at CTC so keep an eye out for the flyer.

CRMW

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:07 pm

Hi Gidgie,

Have you checked out the battery packs that CPAP.COM has?

https://www.cpap.com/simple-find-cpap-p ... tery-cable

You might also consider getting a generator. Some of them are pretty reasonably priced.

Best wishes,

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi Gidgie,

I have the Motomaster Eliminator 1,200A PowerBox. It is big and heavy, but great for at home use. You can also add another marine battery to it for more power.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 2510454366

We also have the Motomaster Eliminator 1,750W Power Inverter, which is more complicated to use, needs a marine battery and I think a car battery at the same time. I would not be using this one alone or in the house.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 2510454279

Now we can run xPAP, now to keep the house from freezing.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

HP

Battery Power

Post by HP » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:58 pm

Assume you only want this arrangement for home use, and that your CPAP has a 12v-dc connector on it. And you will not use the humidifier.

I'd locate a 25 amp-hr or so, 12v deep cycle battery and a charger to go with it. A car battery would work, but maybe a little overkill, and will not handle a steady diet of deep discharges and recharges. A marine battery is better. I obtained a 9 amp-hr rechargeable sealed battery with a matching charger that is surprizingly small & light-weight, but only has the capacity to run my "auto" for about 6 hours tops. Your CPAP probably uses 1-2 amps at 12vdc, depending on your pressure setting. I have an "auto" that averages 1.5 amp @ 12v-dc when set at 8.5--10 cm-h20.

Rig up a cable to connect the battery to the CPAP. You can save money if you obtain the connectors, wire cable, and make your own.

Put the car battery (if that's what you'll use) in some sort of sturdy box with handle so you can easily pull it out when you need it.

If you want to go extra portable, get the BreatheX.....but a little pricey.

Happy hosing!

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:38 pm

great info Rested gal
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"