Bipap problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MikebrantnPT

Bipap problems

Post by MikebrantnPT » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:32 am

Hi guys I just got set up with bipap machine I used it last night for while. They said I have sever case sleep apnea the pressure is set to 23/30 About hour in I wokes feeling chest pain n trouble breathing I thought heart attach as I've had them before. But It's wasn't I was extreme pressure built up in my stomach. From the machine. If I can't figure this out I'll prolly end up not using the machine. Plz any guidance would be welcomed. Also mask leakage. Any ideas of mask that will take that pressure with being smashed in to my face. To point of causing headaches. (-: Thanks in advance mike

mikebrant97

Re: Bipap problems

Post by mikebrant97 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 am

Hi this post is from me I am new here this the first time in my life I've used bipap beyond the sleep study As it says above with the pressure I'm using it's having leaking issues n blotting air forced in to my stomach. Wich scared me when it first happened last night that and painfully I hope you have some ideas That will help me deal with the high pressure The machine I'm using is resmed copd machine I don't have copd Thanks mike

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:01 am

What is the exact model name for your machine?
BiPap is a Respironics term for a bilevel pressure machine
ResMed uses the term VPAP for their bilevel machines.
So there should be more to the name up on the top of the machine by the on/off button...what does it say?
The S9 VPAP Adapt doesn't go to 30 I didn't think
There is a new S9 VPAP machine for treating people with lung issues...maybe you have that one. I don't remember the model name is why I asked.

Aerophagia....that's the bloating in the stomach.
I was going to direct you to the cpap wiki above but there's a syntax error...so it's not working right now.
Those pressures are pushing air into your stomach.
google .. cpap aerophagia
and start reading...here's one hit I got
http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/livi ... phagia.htm

You need to contact your doctor and tell them that you are having extremely painful aerophagia...tell him about the chest pain too...Perhaps a small reduction in the pressures for a while until you get a better control on the problems and work your way up to the prescribed pressure...not optimal for sure but better than you not using any machine.

You are going to need some mask liners with pressures that high. Liners will help a lot with the leaks.
What mask are you using?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 am

Hi Mike:

Is your machine a BiPap S/T model? That model supports the pressures you mention.

Here is a link describing this series machine from Respironics.

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/us_en ... efault.wpd

Speaking about the pain issues with your doc is important.
Perhaps he/she can give you a schedule of lower pressures for a while, working up to what is actually needed and that may help the aerophagia. If the aerophagia is a deal breaker in terms of using the machine, then less than optimum pressures that allow you to use the machine is much better than just not using it at all.

Hang in there. We all will try to help.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

mikebrant97

Post by mikebrant97 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:16 am

It says vpap copd h5i???

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:56 am

This must be the machine that Mike has http://www.resmed.com/us/products/vpap_ ... nc=dealers

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:29 am

yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

S9 VPAP COPD

the h5i is the humidifier

That's their newest high end machine.

I don't know anything at all about its features...like how they might be different than the S9 Adapt beyond the greater pressures available

Hey Sludge...you out there? I bet you know about this machine.

Really bad aerohagia after just an hour of therapy doesn't bode well for things moving along smoothly...need to talk to your doctor about possible changes in changes (whatever are available with this machine) to reduce your issues.

Do you have COPD or are they using this machine just because you need pressures higher than the other machines will deliver?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mikebrant97

Post by mikebrant97 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:43 am

Yes bc they said I need 30 bars intake pressure I know only way I can get mask to not leak is tighten it up to the point it's hurting my face.

mikebrant97

Post by mikebrant97 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:49 am

Yes that is the machine I have. I'm hoping I can take to my dr about lowering my pressure bc at this rate it so painfully to use I Wont it for long )-: I mean the head aches I wake up with when I don't have it hurt less then extreme pressure this mask is putting on my face

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:49 am

What mask are you using?

At high pressures like that a mask liner is very likely going to be a big help.

Padacheek makes some really nice ones that can be used for months and months.
http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html

Ask your DME about liners as they might have some disposable liners like Remzzzs

You can test how it might work with a homemade mask liner...cut from an old Tshirt.

Yes, talk to doctor about a reduction in pressure to get you started.
Often the aerophagia will fade away as the body gets used to the pressure and then you can gradually increase the pressure.
Let's hope it will for you but there may be some adjusts in the settings that might help beyond just a lowering of the pressure. Some fine tuning so to speak of the various settings available.

Bama Rambler

Post by Bama Rambler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 am

mikebrant97 wrote:Yes because they said I need 30 bars intake pressure I know only way I can get mask to not leak is tighten it up to the point it's hurting my face.
Whoa, 30 bars is ~435 PSI! You're never going to get a mask to seal at that pressure.
I apologize, but I couldn't resist.

Even at 30 cmH20 you're going to have a problem keeping the mask sealed. I'd definitely give a mask liner a shot as Pugsy said.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:15 am

Do you have any sort of lung issues?

Chest discomfort with cpap use can happen with any cpap device and at any pressure.
It's mostly from exhaling against the pressure. It puts extra work on the chest wall muscles. No different than when we go to the gym and exercise muscles that haven't had much of a work out in a long time.
Generally with time the chest wall muscles get used to the added work so the chest discomfort fades.
With your pressures...there's going to be a lot of extra work for those chest wall muscles.

That said...anytime chest pain is mentioned a person needs to see the doctor first before putting all the blame on sore muscles. Over the internet we don't have any way of knowing if your chest pain is simply chest muscles complaining about the extra workload..or something more serious.

It's fairly common to have some chest wall discomfort initially....but do go see a doctor about it to rule out anything more serious just as a precaution.

mikebrant97

Post by mikebrant97 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:23 am

It's Philips resportronics? Full face I had pneumonia almost all the time as child lungs have scare tissue In my lungs The chest pain was bc of the air build up in my stomach It's a little better now except I have have to almost use ratchet straps to smash the mask to my face I'll look in to the the cloth mask liners when I wake up tomorrow. Thank you so much for the info Mikebrant in PT. (-:

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:48 am

As an NIV unit to treat COPD, VPAP™ COPD has some (OK, one) interesting feature, namely, integrated oxygen entrainment support.

Pertinent other specifications:

TiControl
Ti Max 0.3–4 seconds
Ti Min 0.1–Ti Max

Rise Time
150–900 msec (approx.)

Modes
CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure), S (Spontaneous)

Pressure Range
IPAP: 4–30 cmH2O
EPAP: 2–25 cmH2O

However, if you're treating OSA/CSA etc., note the absence of virtually anything that would be useful, so for sleep apnea, this thing is about as helpful as a rock.
Last edited by Sludge on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
You Kids Have Fun!!

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:50 am

Sludge wrote:... this thing is about as helpful as a rock.
OK, a rock that can give big pressures.
You Kids Have Fun!!