Are apneas worse/more likely when sleeping supine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ellen1159

Are apneas worse/more likely when sleeping supine?

Post by ellen1159 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Just thought of something. Does sleeping on your back tend to create more obstructive apneas, or make them worse? I could have sworn that I read or heard that somewhere.

While looking over my sleep study, I realized that I spent most of my time (62%) supine, the rest on my left side. Thing is, at home, I never ever sleep on my back. I'm a side sleeper and usually on my right side. I never mentioned that to my sleep doc.

I've been having a godawful time getting adjusted to my high pressures (15 min 25 max are my settings). Today I was able to tolerate 20-21 for over an hour (first time ever) since I've stopped using a nasal steroid spray for my allergies and have started nasal irrigation and using Biotene products and increased the humidification to the max. I haven't asked my doc to lower my pressures just yet because I wanted to see if I could do something on my own to deal with the Sahara desert in my throat from these gale force winds. Today made me hopeful that I might be able to fall asleep with the machine on soon.

Humidifier: Respironics heated humidifier
Mask: F&P Eson Nasal mask
(previous tries with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal and Mirage Quattro Full Face...still looking for my holy grail mask)

kteague

Re: Are apneas worse/more likely when sleeping supine?

Post by kteague » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:19 pm

It is not unusual for a person to have more events when sleeping supine, but that not an absolute. Some people have positional apnea. If there's enough difference that side sleeping would make you need less pressure and make the treatment more tolerable, for someone dealing with such high pressures, seems to me to be worth investigating.

ellen1159

Post by ellen1159 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 pm

It will be interesting to see my numbers once I actually manage to sleep with the mask on. I'm still in the desensitization stage.

Humidifier: Respironics heated humidifier
Mask: F&P Eson Nasal mask
(previous tries with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal and Mirage Quattro Full Face...still looking for my holy grail mask)

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:43 am

Think about this---where is your tongue positioned?

You sleep on your back and it easily folds back and OBSTRUCTS your airway.

Heck, i can just be dozing on the bed on my back and start snoring immediately because my tongue has relaxed.

Nobody with OSA should be sleeping suppine unless their pressure is sufficient, which is rare, to prevent it, in which case
theyre probably borderline need for therapy anyway.

The only advantage to suppine is for back issues or for prevention of
the mask getting dislodged and creating a leak.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:09 am

I was told by a sleep tech at my first titration that they prefer to test people sleeping on their backs because this the position that usually reports the worst obstructive apnea.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:21 am

ellen1159 wrote:Does sleeping on your back tend to create more obstructive apneas, or make them worse? I could have sworn that I read or heard that somewhere.

Almost always.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Mine is worse supine. However, my OSA is severe either way so I sleep supine and have no treatment issues.

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 pm

ellen1159 wrote:Just thought of something. Does sleeping on your back tend to create more obstructive apneas, or make them worse? I could have sworn that I read or heard that somewhere.

While looking over my sleep study, I realized that I spent most of my time (62%) supine, the rest on my left side. Thing is, at home, I never ever sleep on my back. I'm a side sleeper and usually on my right side. I never mentioned that to my sleep doc.

I've been having a godawful time getting adjusted to my high pressures (15 min 25 max are my settings). Today I was able to tolerate 20-21 for over an hour (first time ever) since I've stopped using a nasal steroid spray for my allergies and have started nasal irrigation and using Biotene products and increased the humidification to the max. I haven't asked my doc to lower my pressures just yet because I wanted to see if I could do something on my own to deal with the Sahara desert in my throat from these gale force winds. Today made me hopeful that I might be able to fall asleep with the machine on soon.
On my back breathing stability is easier (ability to handle the pressure) but, epically depending upon how much my tongue is swollen I think, there is more of a tendency to obstruct.

On my side it is not as easy to handle pressure. What helps me is to practice breathing gently during the day in this position. I use eucapnic breathing techniques and a pulse oximeter to find the safe eucapnic levels. If I do not have the pulse oximeter available I note how warm my feet are, how un-plumped are the blood vesicles on the back of my hand (near heart level relaxed), and the lack of the sound of my heart beating when I cup my hand over my ear. More practice yeilds better results for me.

Practice with the machine during the daytime with mild distraction but still learning to breath gently helps.

Reducing stress levels helps.

Aerobic exercise helps.

Have a great week!

Todzo
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:44 pm

ellen1159 wrote: I've been having a godawful time getting adjusted to my high pressures (15 min 25 max are my settings). Today I was able to tolerate 20-21 for over an hour (first time ever) since I've stopped using a nasal steroid spray for my allergies and have started nasal irrigation and using Biotene products and increased the humidification to the max. I haven't asked my doc to lower my pressures just yet because I wanted to see if I could do something on my own to deal with the Sahara desert in my throat from these gale force winds. Today made me hopeful that I might be able to fall asleep with the machine on soon.
Get a manual. Reduce your pressure. sleep with it for a week. Increase your pressure by 1 cm. repeat until done. Verify your AHI each day. By sleeping exclusively on your side you might find that your self titration will allow you a much lower pressure.

My doctors starts everyone at 7cm until titration to get you used to the while thing without the stress of dealing with high pressure.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:08 am

That seems to be the case in my situation. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to stay on my side without something jabbing into my back. Another post.

I would definitely give it a shot Ellen. You have nothing to lose by trying this except the possibility of a reduction in pressure.

49er