Graves Disease?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pandatx

Graves Disease?

Post by pandatx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 am

I know this is really personal but, hey, you guys know me by now. So, you know I've been waiting on test results for some weird stuff going on. Well yesterday it was confirmed that I have Graves Disease. It was not what I was expecting and it was one of the things I feared. The treatment options scare me and now I feel overwhelmed, scared, and confused. I know that Pat and I will figure out, together, what we need to do and that how I'm feeling is normal and once I process it I won't keep feeling this way. I was MIA here most of yesterday b/c I was busy trying to inform myself more about the treatments b/c the doctor wants me to decide in 5-7 days.

However, last night the last thing I felt like doing was deal with my cpap machine. So I just didn't use it. My new Aloha mask should come today and I'll try again tonight. I just didn't have it in me to deal with it last night.

I know that a lot of us have other medical conditions besides the apnea so I just thought I'd put it out there about the Graves Disease. Maybe someone here has it and would share (here or privately) with me their story and support.

Thanks everyone. Love you!
xoxo
Amy

Pachyderm's Nose

Re: Graves Disease?

Post by Pachyderm's Nose » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:22 am

My Mother-in-law had graves disease. They finally treated it by radiating her thyroid, effectively killing it so she takes synthroid. Other than that she has a normal life. My wife has the opposite, an under active thyroid so she also takes synthroid. Now, this is easy for me to say since I'm just an observer not the patient but, RELAX! It could be much worse! Wishing you luck and peace, may God be with you!

Please have your equipment shown as text, it's much easier to tell what model you are using!

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:29 am

Thank you I really appreciate the encouraging words.
My doctor is really pushing towards the radiation but it scares me. When I look online the effects that I'm reading are very different from what my doctor told me. So it would be really helpful to get feedback from others who have gone through it. I have to do something as this has heart and bone implications and I already have mild osteoporosis. And what sent me to the doctor in the first place was tachycardia.

NotLazyJustTired

Post by NotLazyJustTired » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 am

I am not that familiar with Graves Disease or what all the treatment options are. But I can tell you I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism before learning of the OSA. I take Synthroid everyday. Even before PAP treatment started I could begin to tell a difference. I have a buddy who had part of his thyroid removed. As a result he takes a pretty high dose of Synthroid every day. It takes a while to dial in the right dosage and there is a few weeks lag time while your body adjusts to the dosage, but once it does, it works great. I just thought I would pass that along in the event that Synthroid may be in your future. It's a pretty cheap drug as well.

"So oftentimes it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key."
...from The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Sleep Well, Frank

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:24 am

I got nothin' at all about Graves' Disease, just sending metta your way.

May you be free from all forms of danger and harm
May you be physically happy
May you be mentally happy
May you have ease of well-being

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:38 am

I know next to nothing about Graves Disease, but looked it up after your post.

Dealing with this, on top of an OSA diagnosis, is a lot to cope with. I get it and understand part of what you're feeling and dealing with. Give yourself the time to accept the diagnosis, then learn as much as you can about the disease and what your options are.

I can already see that people here are chiming in (you gotta love this forum) and between your doctors, your independent research and input from here -- you'll be in great hands.

We're all here for you.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:24 am

In dealing with this on top of OSA and your struggles with cpap I would strongly suggest you find a therapist to scream at, I mean talk too.
These are major life issues that trigger alll sorts of emotions and you can either take the time and energy to try and deal with them yourself or get some help to cut right to the core and get it over with. This might also help not put to much stress on your relationships while you deal with this. I am basically just suggesting a professional listener, not a full blown psychiatrist with a bag of meds.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

YogaKitty

Post by YogaKitty » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 am

I don't know anything about Grave's. I think my MIL had it, but I'm not sure. BUT -- knowledge is power. Now that you know what is wrong you can address it. No more wondering why you feel the way you feel.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 am

Hi Amy, What a double whammy. My mother had Graves disease but it was many years ago so the treatment options are likely very different. I do know someone who was just recently diagnosed and is going through treatment. I'll ask him if he's willing to post here about it or to PM you. He is a forum member who doesn't post here often.

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am

I too don't have Graves but Hashimoto's instead (underactive thyroid). I take the generic form of Synthroid, called levothyroxine. I don't know what your situation will be but once you do go on medication for your thyroid, but from what I've heard, your body will go back to some sort of normalcy. I have no thyroid symptoms such as hair loss, weight gain,etc. A lady I worked with had Graves Disease, had the surgery and lived a normal life style on meds for it. I'm not sure how familial background would apply to Graves Disease but Hashimoto's tends to run in families in the female line. Both my mom had it and my daughter have it. My son just had a baby girl so I'm not sure if my granddaughter has an elevated chance or not. You sound like you're in good hands with your support person and my very best wishes for you.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am

It's amazing how much more they know about Graves than they did years ago.
Once your treatment has a change to stabilize, expect much improvement.
Welcome the knowledge, which will help you toward better health.

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 am

Amy,
That's definitely shocking news. But the up side is it isn't a fatal condition!

I did a quick search and there is a LOT of information linking thyroid issues (both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, which is a symptom of Graves) and sleep disturbances and FATIGUE, etc. In fact, I'm going to look in to this more for myself, too!

I found this post on another (lame) sleep apnea board: http://www.apneasupport.org/about3490.html. It includes a link to http://thyroid.about.com/cs/fatigueener ... austed.htm.

I'm not a big believer in about.com generally but there's enough information there to get someone started.

Let's walk this road together, shall we? I think we'll be in a better place when done.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:18 pm

do you all know that I love you? I really do. I feel so much less alone just having such a warm group of people caring about me and "getting it". Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I really can't find the words to express how much you mean to me.

xoxoxoxoxo

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Amy,

My wife has an under active thyroid and has been taking synthroid for a couple of years. It took a few visits to get the dosage right but then her life returned to normal. Be well and stay strong. You are doing the right thing in getting all the information you can to ease the acceptance and treatment process.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:In dealing with this on top of OSA and your struggles with cpap I would strongly suggest you find a therapist to scream at, I mean talk too.
These are major life issues that trigger alll sorts of emotions and you can either take the time and energy to try and deal with them yourself or get some help to cut right to the core and get it over with. This might also help not put to much stress on your relationships while you deal with this. I am basically just suggesting a professional listener, not a full blown psychiatrist with a bag of meds.
Out of all the suggestions here, this is the BEST! I have multiple medical issues and have found a great therapist that can listen to me and just a visit with her helps to relieve my stress. It can be overwhelming to deal with multiple medical problems - when our body isn't working the mind then plays tricks on us in the form of stresssss.

Hope you can find a great therapist who can really listen.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**