CPAP Basics - 3

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepWellCPAP

CPAP Basics - 3

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Hello All and happy Sunday afternoon!

In order to highlight the fundamentals of equipment usage, I started this post a few weeks ago to cover just the basics of what new users need to know.

So far we've discussed initial mask fit, cleanliness, data collection, being educated on your condition and tube control. This weeks question,

What do you believe to be the third most important element of success for a new PAP user?

In my opinion, the third most important factor in optimizing the use of this equipment is humidification. Your upper airway provides moisture for your lungs. If your humidity isn't set right, or you have leakage letting the humidity out, you will not feel much if any benefit from your device.

Please post any and all opinions you have on this subject, it will be very interesting to see what you all think.

Jim
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

Wulfman...

Re: CPAP Basics - 3

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:18 pm

#3 - "Attitude" (could also be termed as: mindset, acceptance, outlook, etc.)

Den

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Distilled water only; always check for "unwanted biological agents" and remove when found.
Learn how to use the humidity controls, and heated hose (if any).
Be aware of the effects room humidity and mouth breathing have on water consumption.
:::question: In a disaster, using a heated humidifier may not be an option--what do you suggest?

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Hello Chunkyfrog,

In a disaster situation I usually suggest using a battery back up. You have a point for sure, with that set up they say not to use the heater.

Maybe bigger batteries? Nasal products?

I would still attach the heater though, at least it would function as a passover.

Thanks for the post!

Jim
Jim Swearingen

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:05 pm

I ask the question, since only the Transcend has humidity while under battery power;
but it involves recycling exhaled moisture with the aid of a consumable filter/reaction device
with a short life span. I wonder what would be the jerry-rig in a field hospital--(MacGyver style)

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:29 pm

+1 on Wulfmans choice

Humidification is a close 4th..... All I knew when I got home was that I had an H5i system..... it took a week or so until I figured out what level of humidity I preferred.... but having humidity did not help me succeed....

having a good attitude is what put me on the road to success.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I ask the question, since only the Transcend has humidity while under battery power;
but it involves recycling exhaled moisture with the aid of a consumable filter/reaction device
with a short life span. I wonder what would be the jerry-rig in a field hospital--(MacGyver style)
You can use the humidifier and climate line on the S9 using this.https://www.cpap.com/productpage/DC-Con ... hines.html If you use the humidifier it will just use up your battery quicker. If using at home for power outages just make sure you have a good ampere hour battery.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Assuming you've got the right attitude (#1) and mask (#2),

#3 = SUPPORT SYSTEM (i.e. supportive spouse, family, this forum, doctor, DME, etc)

ArmandXP

Post by ArmandXP » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:47 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Distilled water only; always check for "unwanted biological agents" and remove when found.
Be aware of the effects room humidity and mouth breathing have on water consumption.
:::question: In a disaster, using a heated humidifier may not be an option--what do you suggest?
I'm new to this and could you help me understand the humidity control a little better. I've been leaving it at 80 the last two nights and all seems well. How do I know if I've got it set wrong? Thanks!
Absolutely no regrets!
I never did mind the little things.

newsnore

Post by newsnore » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:11 pm

caffeinatedcfo wrote:Assuming you've got the right attitude (#1) and mask (#2),

#3 = SUPPORT SYSTEM (i.e. supportive spouse, family, this forum, doctor, DME, etc)
I totally agree - although I wonder if this possibly should be No 1 = Support from the likes of this cpaptalk.com forum is vital. Professional help is very necessary, but it comes and goes (not always there when we are needing it either) whereas forums like this are always here for us - the fellow experience sharing and info posted here keeps us alive in the CPAP world. It would be great if Sleep OSA professionals would have the courage to point new users to support like this forum because, going by the statistics, far too many give up when they hit a snag early in their CPAP journey.
Last edited by newsnore on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:16 am

caffeinatedcfo wrote:Assuming you've got the right attitude (#1) and mask (#2),

Ditto!

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 am

Hello Armand,

What you are leaving set to 80 is the temperature you are asking the machine to provide at your nose. With climate control tubing you are assured 90% humidity relative to room air without rainout or condensation forming in the tube. Humidity is important because if it set wrong, you will either get dried out or stuffed up. The result is usually a limitation of flow and thereby you don't feel very rested.

If you are getting through the night and feel better than when you did not use the machine, I would say to leave the climate control set to auto at 80 degrees. The nice thing about climate control is it maintains that humidity level, regardless of what temperature you feel is comfortable. If you need more humidity, set the climate control to manual and turn up the number next to the water drop on the main menu.

Good luck, hope that helps, please keep posting progress.

Jim
Jim Swearingen

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 am

humidity level setting depend a lot on personal preferences, interior & exterior environment and other similar changes.

In my 6 month journey, I've never experienced rain-out at all. But on occasion, I have experienced condensation inside my Full Face mask early in the mornings.

That tells me that I am full of hot air.

But mostly it means that I need to move to a lower humidity or temperature setting for my climate line hose. Pretty soon, it will get warmer here in New England and I'll be changing back over to a standard hose and settings.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:31 am

ArmandXP wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:Distilled water only; always check for "unwanted biological agents" and remove when found.

I'm new to this and could you help me understand the humidity control a little better. I've been leaving it at 80 the last two nights and all seems well. How do I know if I've got it set wrong? Thanks!

With humidity, there is no right or wrong. It is strictly a comfort issue. Some people do not use the humidifier at all. You set it to a temp. that you are comfortable with.

NotLazyJustTired

Post by NotLazyJustTired » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:11 am

Humidity setting: Is it really just for comfort? I don't think so. As Jim has pointed out, an incorrect setting for humitidy/temp can result in dryness or stuffiness with the net affect of flow limitation. Some of us are particularly prone to flow limitation and RERAs which can disrupt our sleep. So while many may see it just as a comfort setting, for many of us it can (and in my experience does) effect sleep quality.

"So oftentimes it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key."
...from The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Sleep Well, Frank