Suggestions for a newbie buying a mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fishy

Suggestions for a newbie buying a mask?

Post by fishy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Hey all. Had a terrible sleep study with cpap...but I am determined to get it right! I am a back sleeper and can breather through my nose (I have almost no sinus issues). Would a Swift FX Nasal pillow be a good choice for me or should I go with like a comfort gel nasal? Suggestions are welcomed.

LSAT

Re: Suggestions for a newbie buying a mask?

Post by LSAT » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Try them both....your DME should allow you to exchange the mask within 30 days

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:43 pm

I am a bit biased but I think the Swift FX nasal pillows is an excellent starting point. There's a reason it is a very popular mask at cpap.com with very low return insurance costs...means they don't get many of them back.
If not it..maybe a different nasal pillow mask.
Nasal pillows have the least amount of surface area that needs to seal...so just simply easier to get a good seal and maintain it. The greater the surface area needed to keep sealed then the greater the potential difficulty.

Might want to watch the fitting video
http://www.cpaplibrary.com/nasal-pillows.html

If it looks interesting to you then by all means try it. I have never used anything but a nasal pillow mask.
Be careful not to get the straps too tight though. That is the most common mistake people make.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Xney

Post by Xney » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:52 pm

The most comfortable mask is the one that fits you!

Nasal pillows are a good first choice to try, since they're the "least" mask to wear. Swift FX is a good #1, perhaps. If you like nasal pillows but the FX doesn't fit, a good 2nd one to try would be the Aloha or the Swift LT.

Burkebang

Post by Burkebang » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:58 pm

I agree that the Swift FX is the place to start. If nasal pillows masks does not work for you, I recommend that you try the Mirage FX nasal mask next.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Another vote for nasal pillows. I throw on the headgear and wiggle my nose around and in seconds, its sealed and ready to go.

I have a Swift LT and I have no problems with it. I'm getting a free mask from the DME and I'm going to try out the Swift FX.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Just to clarify - you said you 'can' breathe through your nose, but does that mean you don't breathe through your mouth when you're asleep? That's the part that matters - not doing it, or else using a full face mask, chinstrap or tape.

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Be open to try a full face mask, if you think you may breath thru your mouth. Check out the equipment that I use, just had my first month check with my sleep Doctor & got an " A+ " on usage and all counts.

fishy

Post by fishy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:12 pm

I will definitely be open to trying whatver works. Let me clarify: I rarely ever breathe through my mouth (that I know of). I think I will start with the swift FX nasal pillow. My Dr. office doesn't carry Respironics machines but does carry Resmed which I take it are pretty good. Also, since my titration study was dismal, he may start me on a trial apap (is that the right word...it adjusts the pressure within a predetermined range) for a few months.

Cindy Lou Who

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:46 pm

fishy wrote:Also, since my titration study was dismal, he may start me on a trial apap (is that the right word...it adjusts the pressure within a predetermined range) for a few months.
Yes, Fishy, that's right. Automatic Positive Airway Pressure. I had a dismal experience with the lab, and was never titrated. The Dr prescribed the S9 Autoset from ResMed. It's a very good machine... very quiet. Be sure the Dr also writes the scrip for the humidifier. The S9 Autoset is a fully Data capable machine. You can see your data... which will be very important to you if you want to stay on top of your therapy and see how it's going.
The Swift FX is very light weight and after a few minutes it didn't feel like I had it on...except for a light pressure on the underside of my nose. One drawback for me was it leaked air into my left eye when I lay on the right side. Sometimes I had to put a damp cloth over the eye and soak it before I could open my eye lid. Not good! I tried my husbands Opus 360. No more dry eye.... Yes!
Below is a link to cpap.com and the nasal mask: a Fisher-Paykel Opus 360. I sleep on my side and back. The Opus 360 has more support for side sleepers. Note the position of the hose. It can be attached at the top of the head: A real plus so I'm not rolling over on it and ripping the headgear off. Or you can release it and the hose can lay in any position... hence the 360 part of it's name.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -Mask.html
Wishing you all the best!
Cindy

fishy

Post by fishy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks all...This site rules

lazer

Post by lazer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:52 am

I'll also add my vote for the "Nasal Pillows" mask and the Swift FX as a good starting point. I started with this and am back on it after several trials with various masks including the FFM (2 of them). Personally I prefer the ease of use and less leakage problems associated with MY Swift FX nasal pillows mask.

I know it makes me less "manly" but I really don't give a shit.

YMMV

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:10 am

Not everyone has learned the technique to wearing a cloth mask, (many cannot get a good enough seal)
but once mastered, I believe they are the lightest, most comfortable masks ever.
Circadiance has two models, both nasal:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/sleepw ... -mask.html
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/sleepw ... -cpap.html

whoslucky

Post by whoslucky » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 pm

I have the Opus 360 and the Swift FX. I prefer the later. For me it's more comfortable especially when I'm sleeping on my side. I have claustrophobia so I didn't even think about a full mask.

cherylgrrl

Post by cherylgrrl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 pm

My experience has been like Chunky Frog's... the Sleepweaver mask has been much easier for me to wear than nasal pillows, although I have a Swift FX nasal pillow mask as an alternate. I find I wake up more with the nasal pillows leaking. I have an occasional "toot" with the Sleepweaver, but it is so much more comfortable than the "plugs" in my nostrils. Plus, you can sleep with it in any position, including on your stomach! You can get it for 30 day trial with full refund if not happy, so there's no downside in trying it.