Fifth night. Heated hose needed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Willis

Fifth night. Heated hose needed?

Post by Willis » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:37 am

I'm still very new to all this. I went from a large mask to medium mask last night and everything was good. A better fit around my eyes with no leaks. I slept straight through for four hours. I took the mask off to use the bathroom, came back and put the mask on and now have cold air pressure blowing in my face. I just couldn't relax and sleep with the cold pressure. I changed to the larger mask thinking that would cure the cold...no luck. I moved the machine on the floor thinking maybe condensation was inside the hose. That didn't help. I changed back to the comfortable medium mask...still cold wind. I tossed and turned thinking I could fall asleep with the colder wind and just try and "Get over it and sleep!" I couldn't sleep. I was going to take the mask off and try and sleep without it but I'm determined to make this work. I finally got up at 4:30with only four hours of sleep. Strangely...I feel good today????? Anyways, should I purchase a heated hose. I use three ace bandages around the hose that seemed to work for the last three nights. As always thank you for the support. I had the humidifier at 2 if that helps?

rested gal

Re: Fifth night. Heated hose needed?

Post by rested gal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:34 am

Until others jump in to give their suggestions, here's a link to tons of old posts that might give you some ideas. Me..., yeah, I'd go straight for a heated hose. Been using a stand-alone heated hose for years. Love it. Besides preventing rainout (which isn't a problem you're having) it does keep the air that goes through the hose a little warmer, which is what you want.

LINKS to discussions about the Aussie heated hose, Repti heat cable, and other ways to deal with "rainout."
viewtopic.php?t=5305
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:44 am

Setting of 2 on the PR S1 humidifier in the new mode of humidification isn't going to offer much heat at all especially if your bedroom is cool. I had ice cube nose with it set to 5. I am much happier with a heated hose. No need for the added weight of a hose cozy and no more ice cube nose from the cold air and I get the high humidity my nasal mucosa want.
BTW the air coming through the heated hose is not "warm"...still feels cool but not nearly as cold as without the heated hose so it isn't like inhaling in a sauna.

You might try increasing the setting on the humidifier and see if that will warm the air enough for you. It will increase the chance of rain out also.
A fleece hose cover will offer more insulation than the ace wraps..so that is an option. It does help but for me it wasn't enough to prevent ice cube nose. I like a cold bedroom and I had a heavy fleece hose cover and still had ice cube nose.
I am totally satisfied with my heated hose and wish I had done it 2 winters ago rather than struggling all winter with rain out.
I have the Hybernite 2300. Our forum hosts cpap.com sells it. I bought it from an EBay seller before cpap.com started carrying it.

Depending on where you live...you may be nearing the end of the cold season and the cold bedroom may not last all that much longer. For me...I am so glad I opted for the heated hose this winter.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

teknomom

Post by teknomom » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:34 pm

I route my hose from the foot of the bed, under the bedspread and on top the electric blanket. Works for me!

because: "They Call the Wind Maria"
from the musical "Paint Your Wagon"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG4rxHgq ... re=related
PS: I love my "Wind", Maria

DrBucky

Post by DrBucky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Chime in to say I love the heated hose with my S9. They are expensive for an item that might last 6 months (even the climate line hoses run 40 bucks or so and separate systems are 80+). No rainout and I am getting lots of humidification (use about 3/4 of the water tub over the course of a night).

The electric blanket trick seems fun. Using the reptiheat scares the crap out of me. I don't want any 120v wires in my bed. Too bad they don't make a 24v version (24v is a lot less likely to shock you if something goes wrong).

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:15 pm

As far as going to the bathroom at night I leave my mask on and just shut down my machine and disconnect my hose from my mask.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:22 pm

rested gal wrote:Until others jump in to give their suggestions, here's a link to tons of old posts that might give you some ideas. Me..., yeah, I'd go straight for a heated hose. Been using a stand-alone heated hose for years. Love it. Besides preventing rainout (which isn't a problem you're having) it does keep the air that goes through the hose a little warmer, which is what you want.

LINKS to discussions about the Aussie heated hose, Repti heat cable, and other ways to deal with "rainout."
viewtopic.php?t=5305
Hi RG!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08