Off-Topic and On-Topic Musings (OT and OT)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
VVV

Off-Topic and On-Topic Musings (OT and OT)

Post by VVV » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:00 pm

Sitting here at 4800 feet, 28F and stiff breeze outside, 70F inside with afternoon sun streaming through the windows on the front of the cabin, wondering whether to play on the computer or go outside for a walk on two inches of snow and mainly ice, I made a decision. Play on computer.

OT and OT (Off-topic and On-topic) Musings

Feel free to throw in any subject you care to.
Last edited by VVV on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
.....................................V

VVV

Re: OT and OT Musings

Post by VVV » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Is it true that most people, whether by failure after starting or never starting or staying away from a diagnosis, choose not to treat sleep apnea? Choose to suffer the health problems and decreased longevity?

VVV

Post by VVV » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Another one for now.

The trucking industry is poised to make a big push on getting drivers diagnosed and on the hose. I believe about 60% (somebody check that) of the drivers are independent owners - small businessmen that is.

Will they have the resources to comply with industry demands? Will only the big boys have the resources? Will most of these small businessmen be driven out of business?

Does untreated sleep apnea really cause many wrecks?

Independent of sleep apnea, what about the poor sleep schedule, lack of sleep, and poor sleep hygiene in general among truck drivers?

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:13 pm

29F, wind has died down, beautiful clear evening.

Changing front brakes and rotors. Waiting for the parts babe to get back.

I never "turn" the rotors anymore-- the price of new is darn near the same as turning 'em. Plus the extra trip or wait.
...other than food...

jnk

Post by jnk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:15 pm

VVV wrote:Is it true that most people, whether by failure after starting or never starting or staying away from a diagnosis, choose not to treat sleep apnea? Choose to suffer the health problems and decreased longevity?
I believe you have just posted an ON-topic question in an OFF-topic thread. HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

OK, actually I respect that. I just couldn't resist teasing you for it.

My response to your question is that too many people don't get the help they need to understand how much better life might be for them if they could breathe and sleep at the same time. And many others who DO understand, never find the help they need to make the therapy work. For example, many never find this forum.

Since this is an off-topic thread, I will now sit here for a minute and try to think of something off-topic to say. Hmm. Uh. Let me see. I can't think of anything. Oh. I know. I am happy with my android phone, but everyone tells me that is only because I've never used an iPhone, so I have decided never to use an iPhone--that way I can stay happy!!!!

I didn't know anybody still made rotors that were thick enough to get turned and still stay in spec anymore these days, anyway.

VVV

Post by VVV » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:23 pm

jnk wrote:
I believe you have just posted an ON-topic question in an OFF-topic thread. HOW DARE YOU!!!!!
Read carefully. If you care to.
VVV wrote: OT and OT (Off-topic and On-topic) Musings

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:28 pm

jnk wrote:I didn't know anybody still made rotors that were thick enough to get turned and still stay in spec anymore these days, anyway.
These days?

RUFKM?

My cars are just barely from this millenium!!

Whoops, gotta go...
...other than food...

jnk

Post by jnk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:30 pm

VVV wrote:
jnk wrote:
Read carefully. If you care to.
VVV wrote: OT and OT (Off-topic and On-topic) Musings
Oops. OK. Thanks. To me, the first "OT" looked a lot like the second "OT." My bad.

I'm still learning my way around some of the forum lingo. This is basically the only forum I post in. None of the others will have me.

Thanks for starting the thread, anyway, whether I understood the title or not.

I am now wondering where Dave buys his auto parts. Apparently, if I read HIS post correctly, they are sold by a talking pig?

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:52 am

VVV wrote:Is it true that most people, whether by failure after starting or never starting or staying away from a diagnosis, choose not to treat sleep apnea? Choose to suffer the health problems and decreased longevity?
In my mind, the foremost contributor to failure to seek a diagnosis or treatment is ignorance. For some the decline is nearly imperceptible until there is a recognition trigger. Makes me think of how not so long ago a person could be enjoying their life in the sun until one day they looked in the mirror and were surprised to see undeniable changes in the form of wrinkles. By then the process had done some damage. When I was young, little was being said to warn of this. Now when one sees sun damaged skin staring back at them from the mirror, they knew good and well it was likely to catch up with them someday as the risk is common knowledge. Even so, not everyone heeds the warnings. Discussions of sleep apnea and its potential consequences haven't yet saturated the consciousness of society at large.

Second in my mind is denial. Can't believe it could happen to me. Can't believe it's that big a big deal. Can't believe that could be responsible for my symptoms. At that point, maybe ignorance becomes a choice, but I think that oversimplifies the problem. Handling of OSA may just be a part of a larger pattern in handling our personal health care, whether the root cause is personal inclinations, financial limitations, or - - - whatever. We are conditioned to hear the word cancer and feel an immediate sense of urgency. I don't know of one person in my circle of friends, family or acquaintances who has espressed a sense of urgency about being told they might have sleep apnea. Awareness and education are in my estimation sorely lacking, but even then, some will choose to do nothing with that knowledge.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:28 am

deltadave wrote:
jnk wrote:I didn't know anybody still made rotors that were thick enough to get turned and still stay in spec anymore these days, anyway.
These days?

RUFKM?

My cars are just barely from this millenium!!

Whoops, gotta go...
Why do Rotors warp in the first place? Answer, because they aren't made with enough materal to take the heat of breaking in the first place.... The NEW rotors come in boxes that warn to store flat so gravity won't warp them. Turning a brake drum or rotor only results with brakes the ware faster and stop less quickly. A Clutch works on the same idea but has enough mass in the flywheel to take normal operating heat. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 am

Goofproof wrote:Why do Rotors warp in the first place?
Usually from improperly tightening the lug nuts .

Further, "warping" is largely misdiagnosed. More often it's an uneven deposition of pad material on the rotor.

TS, I would NEVER turn and reuse a warped rotor unless it's out by only like <.002 and new is twice the cost of turning.
Goofproof wrote:The NEW rotors come in boxes that warn to store flat so gravity won't warp them.
Impossible. A "warped" rotor out of the box was undoubtedly manufactured that way.

The "store flat" caution is to insure that if somebody is going to put 7 pallets of rotors on top of those rotors, they won't "bend", which is a more accurate description of what could theoretically happen.
Goofproof wrote:A Clutch works on the same idea but has enough mass in the flywheel to take normal operating heat.
While the "normal operating heat" of a flywheel is significant less than that of a rotor, you can still "warp" it (and this isn't from the Hemi, either):

...other than food...

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:28 am

Good Morning, Dave.

I trust that after a hard week at work, you want to go some place different.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VVV wrote:Sitting here at 4800 feet, 28F and stiff breeze outside, 70F inside with afternoon sun streaming through the windows on the front of the cabin

Wow.

Excellent choice.

And such an altitude!

I say, old chap, did you swallow your pride and make the pilgrimage to New Mex—forget it, I know it's a pointless question.

You would rather swallow a white hot poker than your pride, yes?

But I knew that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VVV wrote:wondering whether to play on the computer or go outside for a walk on two inches of snow and mainly ice,

I made a decision.

Play on computer.
And thus, my dark twin brother, you made a decision that encapsulates your entire life.

You travel a great distance.

You end up at 4800 feet, in a cabin.

My God, what I would give to trade places with you this instant.

To leave the clutches of my rolling prison, to reach for the clouds.

Yet what do you do?

You choose to play on the computer.

Why did you even leave your home?

Is it colder there than in your mountain cabin?

If it is, then what are you doing to warm it up?

It doesn't take much.

Trust me on this my dark brother, I am learning this lesson in the hardest way possible.

Question for you, if you don't mind.

You say you're the best sleeper you know.

But then, is it likely that you don't remember any of your dreams?

And if that is true,

how can you tell if you're having an awful nightmare, over and over?

Conversely,

how can you tell if you are soaring in your dreams,

joyous flying above the clouds, and into the arms of God?

Perhaps sdb has a Darwinian purpose.

Dream Integration.

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance - Aesop

VVV

Re: Off-Topic and On-Topic Musings (OT and OT)

Post by VVV » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:30 am

VVV wrote:Sitting here at 4800 feet, 28F and stiff breeze outside, 70F inside with afternoon sun streaming through the windows on the front of the cabin, wondering whether to play on the computer or go outside for a walk on two inches of snow and mainly ice, I made a decision. Play on computer.
Checked outside about that walk. Lots of ice and wind chill was nearly bitter.

Decided to drive down to the valley gym for lower body workout. Only four miles.

Arrived at 4:45. Angry looking man leaving gym.

He: They are closing at five.

I: They are open until seven on Saturdays.

He: They are having a Christmas party.

I: Well that is important also.

He (angrily): They could have put a sign on the door that I would have seen earlier in the week.

Me (returning to car): (silent)

Returned home and hurried to take a walk before dark.

Did an out and back. Reaching a rise startled to see a full moon just above the horizon. Had a red tinge and looked huge.

Reached the cabin and stopped the watch. 34 min. Without the ice would have been 30.

Had some fantastic dreams in the last quarter of the night. Can't remember them now.

Arose this morning in the cold. No nasal congestion. Passages seem wide. Glad I had that turbinate reduction more than a decade ago.

Is it true, as I have seen written here, that the most common treatment for sleep apnea is caffeine?
Last edited by VVV on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

VVV

Post by VVV » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:36 am

Checked Facebook.

Startled again. Friend Leong in Singapore shared photo of moon. Identical one that I saw last evening.

How can that be?

VVV

Post by VVV » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:38 am

rocklin
I feel the same.