Going Camping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rick B

Going Camping

Post by Rick B » Tue May 25, 2010 10:15 am

I'm new on the BiPAP machine and am still getting used to it, but I have our 20th annual family camping/fishing trip coming up in July for 5 nights. I've been checking around for ways to take my machine with me. Batteries, generators, etc.

Does anyone have any good ideas or information? Or can I go for 5 nights without the machine? How long do the batteries last? How to recharge, etc.

Any help is good help.

LOONLVRS

Re: Going Camping

Post by LOONLVRS » Tue May 25, 2010 11:27 am

i BELIEVE THERE IS A BATTERY PACK THAT WILL RUN YOUR MACHINE. i THINK THERE ARE 2 WAYS TO RECHARGE: SOLAR AND FROM YOUR VEHICLE.

nittalagh

Post by nittalagh » Tue May 25, 2010 12:31 pm

I recently bought this battery pack: http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Owell-Indu ... 0-516.html
Testing it at home I have been able to get 3 full nights (24 hrs) from a charge using it with my S9 set at 7cm(humidifier in passover mode). That is using an inverter as well, I'm hoping it might be a little more once I am able to get the converter instead. It takes 6-8 hrs to charge and can be charged with either AC or DC power.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:47 pm

whatever system you get try it at home first, you may need to limit your hours of sleeping
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

Zzz_Jim

Post by Zzz_Jim » Tue May 25, 2010 6:57 pm

See Rested Gal's Link

viewtopic.php?t=9682

I haven't tried it yet, but I would just get a big deep discharge Marine style battery and the Respironics DC Adapter cord and do my own battery box. You still have to have a way to charge it during the day though. Generator and a battery charger? Solar is likely to be too slow.

araminta

Post by araminta » Wed May 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Don't forget to bring along something like a cloth bag or cardboard box to help keep the dirt 'n dust away from your equipment.

SleepyTiger

Post by SleepyTiger » Wed May 26, 2010 3:21 pm

For what it is worth...

I've been measuring the accumulated power draw for my S9 (set to max of 16) and humidifier (Set to 3.5) for the past two nights using a Kill-a-Watt.

It has averaged 124 watt-hours/night so far. That would be better than 10-12 amp-hrs from a typical deep-cycle battery.

With reasonably conservative estimates, that would be about 3 nights from a normal deep-cycle battery.

Alternately you'd need a better than 25W solar panel to charge the battery overnight. I'd probably use a 45W panel, and be careful about changing the panel/sun angle a couple times a year...

SleepyTiger
I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. ~Author Unknown

Scarlet834

Post by Scarlet834 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:51 pm

I hope you'll post again after your camping trip. I know I'll face the same challenge myself probably next summer.

The one thing I'm sure of--your solution is NOT to go without CPAP for 5 days. That sounds like a miserable vacation to me.

Good luck, and have a great time on your camping trip!

Sharon