Will You Get the Swine Flu Vaccine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

Re: Will You Get the Swine Flue Vaccine?

Post by rested gal » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:54 pm

1. No. Have never gotten a flu shot yet, and don't expect to ever decide to.

2. Yes... to OSA being a "chronic" disordered breathing condition during sleep. However, I don't think OSA alone (especially OSA that's being well treated with CPAP every night) is the type of chronic health condition that would warrant trying to get in the front of the line for anything.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:56 pm

NO! and NO!!! The Vaccine may be worse on your health than the Swine Flu! READ the facts on what it can do and what it's made up of.

Don't confuse the Swine Flu with the Seasonal Flu, the Swine Flu has been re-engineered and spread in Mexico by drug interests. Follow the Money!!, as always. The FDA and the CDC aren't your friends, they are drug dealers. I have learned if their common names are letters, don't trust them.

The last two years I took the Flu shot @ 62, Now I won't, I'M not going to chance live virus, (Monkey) that's in their mix, or Anti-Freeze. Older people have less risk.

As far as Sleep Apnea being a factor for treatment, mines not, I treat my Apnea, end of that!

Take Vit "C", "D3" & "E" and Wash your hands, I also do not hang in plases where a lot of people ate polluting the same air. Jim

If you want something to think about on this, P.M. me your Email.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:18 pm

1. maybe; possibly; undecided;
Because of other chronic issues I usually get one, but I'm undecided on the H1N1.....In 1972 the Navy injected us with known bad serum which almost killed me so I didn't get another for nearly 30 years, but with the development of chronic issues I started again. Never had a problem with it since I've re-started.
I say known bad serum. Because I was playing football at the time we had received a waiver to take the shots after the season was over. When they immunized the rest of the base over 80% of the sailors got deathly ill. When they investigated the serum they found it contained live virus, but because "it's the military way", they continued to use it because "everyone had to be immunized". I got acute pneumonia and nearly died......
They probably wouldn't be able to get away with it today -- even in the military - at least I would hope not!!!

2. Absolutely!!!

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Dixie62

Post by Dixie62 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:49 am

no

and not sure

roster

Post by roster » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:19 am

You think religion is confusing?

Here we have "science" seemingly at big odds with itself on the subject of flu shots.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Maryland_Mike

Post by Maryland_Mike » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:37 am

1. Yes. It's offered for free at work and strongly encouraged.
2. I don't know enough to have an educated opinion.

roster

Post by roster » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:54 am

I have been getting the regular flu shots for nearly forty years and the results are excellent so I will continue.

As far as the swine flu vaccine, I am still debating.

I have heard there is a cheap oinkment that will prevent the swine flu.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:11 am

1. No. (never have, probably never will)

2. Technically, "Yes". (Ditto to what rested gal said)

Chronic (medicine), a persistent and lasting disease or medical condition, or one that has developed slowly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

stanps

Post by stanps » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:22 am

1) I managed to get the swine flu before the shot came out. I don't usually get a flu shot and I don't know if I should get a regular flu shot now or not. I was not tested for swine flu but, based on the sysptoms and the fact that it came from an outbreak at my daughter's shool, I'm pretty sure it's what I had.

2)It is probably not the kind of chronic medical condition they had in mind but having the flu did complicate my CPAP therapy. I could not breathe through my nasal mask at all. I'm being fitted for a FF mask soon.
As we grow old…the beauty steals inward.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:29 am

Because of my compromised immune system (Rheumatoid Arthritis and the drugs taken for it) I have been getting the regular flu shot for about 20 years. I will continue with that and also the H1N1 shot.

I think that OSA is a chronic condition but not the type that compromises your immune system (except if it is not treated and you are not getting enough sleep to combat flu or other viruses for example). It would probably not be considered a reason to get the flu shot(s) if treated.

I also get the pneumonia shot, again because of my compromised immune system. It is a shot every 5 years (a booster shot). Because pneumonia is a common complication of flu it is advised for someone like me as well as the flu vaccines.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am

My wife and I both got the Martian Death Flu (read Dave Barry's column "Molecular Homicide" http://books.google.com/books?id=8nx8v2 ... t&resnum=7# )several years ago at the same time. Since then I have gotten the seasonal flu shot every year it was available and have either avoided the seasonal flu or had reduced symptoms. My wife has not gotten the shots, and has had about the same success as I have. I am fairly certain that I got the swine flu last summer. My symptoms matched those described and it hung on and came back several times after I thought that I had beaten it down. A helpful hint for those who may get the flu follows. I used my CPAP the whole time, but I had a very difficult time with waking up in the middle of a coughing fit, even when taking hardcore cough medication. I began to notice that while drifting off to sleep the coughing fits would usually start while I was exhaling. I do not normally use EPR, but as an experiment I turned it on to a setting of 3 and found that I had fewer instances of waking up coughing, so that I was able to get more rest.

While OSA is certainly a chronic serious medical condition, I do not think that would serve as a qualifier in this instance.

OneCatBelleSundance

Post by OneCatBelleSundance » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:07 am

1. Absolutely not. They don't work and it most likely would make me sick.

2. I think Sleep Apnea can be considered a chronic condition but I don't think it puts us in the class of those that "need" flu shots. My DME told me that if I got a cold or flu to turn up the humidity to 3. Sounds good to me as I used to use a vaporizor for my son when he was young and got a flu or cold. My plan is to stay away from college kids and people with young children.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:08 am

Good Questions Rooster!

Will I get a swine flue (floo? flew? whatever) shot? Nupe. I do get a yearly flu shot, and I'll get the one this year for "seasonal" flu. The swine flu shot has had too little testing to suit me; and, reports thus far show that those who are up a bit along the age pyramid and who get the H1N1 have generally mild symptoms. I'm not entirely convinced that the swine flu is as urgent of a health emergency as advertised, in fact.

H1N1 (which is an antigen subtype) has been with us for over 30 years. Many of the seasonal flu shots have had H1N1 components, and although distinct from the one that originated in Mexico, I suspect most highly that there will be some cross immunity conferred. (Fascinating topic, lots more to it.)

As for OSA being a chronic med condition, yes, it meets the letter of the definition. However, as RG and Den correctly suggest, it should not promote one to the front of any line.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:14 am

Since you asked, its "flu", -- short for influenza.

A "flue" is the vertical open space inside a chimney through which hot gases rise.

And "flew" is the past tense of the verb "to fly."

English is a strange, strange language.
jeff

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:08 pm

JDM writes...Since you asked, its "flu"

Thanks for the nicely-intentioned correction! Actually, I knew (new?) (gnu?) that it was "flu", but I saw a chance to tease Rooster a mite on his spelling.

(You say potato...I say potatoe...)