Headrest Help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CarrieS

Headrest Help

Post by CarrieS » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:53 am

Well Im in love with it now that I have adjusted to it but suddenly after about 2 months I have an issue and even had to fall back on my trusty NAII last night. Its suddenly leaking by one nostril. So Im trying to decide do I order an XL - which Im assuming is huge and I might regret or do I order a L again and have to keep doing that every 2 months. It suddenly seems more unsteady on my face too but Im hoping the issue is just the nare not the whole contraption suddenly being uneasy. Anyhow any advice on the size L to XL would be great, has anyone had similiar incident? Also if anyone has a L or XL they want to get rid of please PM me. Mine came with a M and L so Im guessing some people have some Ls collecting dust out there?Thanks in Advance
Oh and by the way, for anyone curious, baby is due the 7th and Im dialated to 3 so anytime now -woohoo Wouldnt it just figure the mask I want to use to make nursing easier is suddenly on the fritz.
On APAP 5-15
Leak Rate 0
AI =0.0 HI= 0.5 AHI=0.5

sleepycarol

Re: Headrest Help

Post by sleepycarol » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:12 am

I had similar problems and what worked for me was to a stretchy headband. The headgear swims on my head and I don't want to modify it (laziness) and found that stretchy headband going from the back of the head and round to the front. I rest the headband on the little gray support. It stabilized the whole mask and no more leaking. The headbands cost me like $1.00 for 3 at a Dollar General.
Good luck!!

May you have an easy delivery and a happy healthy baby!!
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:17 am

Also:
Try a very thorough cleaning with some kine of castille soap.
Another possibility: a quick soak in a 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water solution.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:22 am

GET the XL.................. Nobody will sneak into your bed room and tell everybody!
Also get the head bands mentioned by sleepycarol Together the leak problem should be controlled....NOTE: I didn't say gone for ever??? -but- you should be happier the XL just lets me flop around more with less leaks....... For what thats worth.

BERT

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:42 am

After nearly a year of use, I found that mine began to leak around one side of the nose. Usually just means I have to fidget with it a second whereas I didn't before. Mine is deconstructed, and I use headbands as straps these days. An extra band on yours may be enough to make it more stable. It shouldn't need replacing after such a short time.

Keep us posted on baby news as you have time. Bet these months of pregnancy have gone faster for us than you!

Kathy

CarrieS

Post by CarrieS » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks Ill try the vinegar tonight. I will then get on getting an XL, but so far everywhere I look its $35 for some pillows! Which to me is nuts when you can get the mask for 85 which comes with 2 sets of pillows. So if anyone sees them for less or knows of any that arent being used please drop me a line. Insurance mask credit isnt for another month, not that anyone around here carrys them anyhow.
On APAP 5-15
Leak Rate 0
AI =0.0 HI= 0.5 AHI=0.5

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:47 am

Carrie, have you tried using a stretchy strap around the front of the nasal pillows to cradle them and keep them from shifting?

I would not be able to use the Headrest at all if I didn't add a homemade strap to stabilize the pillows.

Here are some ways to use one or two straps for that purpose:

http://www.tnlc.com/Lara/laura/osa/aura-strap6ways.jpg

A stretchy sweatband or headband might work for you as it does for some others.

Me..I use the leg cut off a pair of panty hose tights ("TIGHTS", not just regular pantyhose material) and tie it like the middle top picture, up high on back of head, using a doublestart knot. That kind of knot stays very flat and secure yet is easy to undo in the morning. Not like a regular knot at all. A doublestart knot also makes it easy to adjust the tension less snugly during the night by just hooking a finger under it along the cheek and pulling outward a little. Or adjust it a little tighter by pulling both loose ends.
How to tie a flat knot behind head when using the leg cut off a pair of tights as a homemade strap,
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/doublestartknot.htm

Some find that jcarn's "rubber band fix" keeps the nasal pillows in place and they don't need an extra strap at all:
viewtopic.php?t=5962

Or, it might be that simply encircling the two little tubes with a piece of velcro, and pull the two tubes closer together up as high as possible below the exhaust vent area, is all you need to do.

I'd try some of those things before thinking about buying another size nasal pillows assembly. With the extra strap, for example, I can use both sizes (M and L) equally well
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

CarrieS

Post by CarrieS » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:55 am

Sorry for the delay - my computer died.
Anyhow, the rubberband trick worked, sometimes I have to fidget with it to avoid a sore spot but it definitely does the trick. Thanks for telling me about it and thanks to the person who came up with it - lifesavers I am still keeping an eye out for an XL so if anyone sees one for cheap let me know please.
BABYNEWS: Dialted to 3 last week going in today at 38.5 wks hope shes coming early Im tired and sore - not that shes going to let me sleep Im so happy to have a mask though that wont interfere too much. Although being non-osa would be even better Ill take what I can get.
Thanks again as always for all the help and suggestions.
On APAP 5-15
Leak Rate 0
AI =0.0 HI= 0.5 AHI=0.5