Heated Hose Question??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bap40

Heated Hose Question??

Post by bap40 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:37 am

I hope that at least one person has this answer for me. I used the F/P 604 before I got my A/Flex. I really loved the heated hose. Unfortunatly I understand that this hose fits no other machines. I am assuming that it is because of the connection size of the tubes. I want to know the reason and if it is possible to use, if they make, adapter sizes so one of their heated hoses could be used in a non F/P machine??

I hope that someone has some answers for me.

Thanks,
Brooke

Brooke

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:49 am

Brooke,

You may know this already but you can get a new heated hose for your new machine from the Sleep Zone.
http://www.sleepzone.com.au/

Pardon me if you know this already and are simply trying to reuse the hose you already have.

Regards,
Bill

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:57 am

Thanks, I did just check out that site, but prices compared to the F/P hose that can be purchased here at CPAP.com are 49$ and not $159 from Aussie. That is why I was wondering about the use of adapter connection parts. I don't have my original hose, so would need to buy one and that is a huge price difference.

Brooke

Brooke

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:04 pm

bap40, I don't know if the F&P's integrated heated hose would even heat at all if not connected to the F&P machine it was designed for.

Here's a much cheaper alternative to the Aussie heated hose... a heating cable that can be put alongside any plain old cpap hose:

Jan 12, 2008 subject: Cheap heated hose Topic started by p2pjunkie
viewtopic.php?t=27579

I've used an Aussie heated hose for about 4 years. Love it. But when the day comes that I need a new one, I'll be getting the Repti heat cable to use with a standard cpap hose.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Never thought about that one and you are probably quite right about that little feature of the F/P.
Brooke

roster

Post by roster » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:56 pm

eljay wrote:I bought the Zoo Med Repti Heat cable and have been delighted with the results--absolutely no rainout! However, yesterday I forgot to unplug it before I left for work, and apparently part of the hose was underneath my pillow. When I turned my APAP on last night, there was no air, so I started investigating and discoverd that the Repti heat cable had melted the plastic on the hose on the section that had been underneath the pillow! I had already been spooked by the fact that I left it plugged in all day and was just thinking "Gosh, I'm glad I didn't burn the house down" but when I saw the melted hose it really shook me up! Has this happened to anyone else? I'm going to keep using the heat cable, because it is so nice not to deal with any rainout, but thought I would share my experience as a warning to always double check that you've unplugged the heat cable when you're not using the CPAP!
Source: viewtopic/t29752/Melted-my-hose.html

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:45 pm

rooster, that's definitely something to consider...what happened with eljay's hose.

Same kind of thing has been reported occasionally, using the Aussie heated hose:

Jul 03, 2007 subject: Aussie Heated Hose Problem
viewtopic.php?t=19630

May 01, 2007 subject: Hose Melted!!
viewtopic.php?t=19630

----------------------------

I'd still use either one -- Aussie heated hose or the Repti heat cable, myself. But that's just me.

LINKS to discussions about the Aussie heated hose - to prevent rainout
viewtopic.php?t=5305
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:33 pm

Of course you could get hit by a bus if you leave the house too! But more deaths are caused by falls at home. So what to do?

In my case, I was sleeping when I almost died. Yea, so I don't even have to get out of bed.

So now I'm just living on the edge - but I did put a fire controller on my Repti Heated cable. You know the fire controller like they use on electric blankets [that can start a house fire]?

Well, I haven't used it in years since I found that out, so now I have a use for the controller. It really does seem to help as the weather changes here in New England.

GumbyCT - who thinks that Life consist of a series of choices.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

eljay

Post by eljay » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:54 am

GumbyCT wrote:So now I'm just living on the edge - but I did put a fire controller on my Repti Heated cable. You know the fire controller like they use on electric blankets [that can start a house fire]?
GumbyCT -- I'm not familiar with the fire controller you're talking about. What does it look like, and where did you get it? Having already melted one hose with my Repti heated cable, I'm definitely in the market for one!

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Sorry Eljay - that was me trying to be funny.

Guess it didn't make any sense unless you read my post about how I used the temperature control (what I called the fire controller above) from my old unused electric blanket to control the temperature on the Repti Cable.

After I was told by some fireman friends that an electric blanket could cause a fire - I/we never used it again. I guess part of MY going Green effort is using things I already have on hand. While this works very well for me - it is NOT something I would recommend for everyone.

Sorry for the confusion.
GumbyCT

;)

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:00 am

There is a difference between living on the edge and living stupid.

jsmythe

Post by jsmythe » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:46 am

rested gal wrote:rooster, that's definitely something to consider...what happened with eljay's hose.

Same kind of thing has been reported occasionally, using the Aussie heated hose:

Jul 03, 2007 subject: Aussie Heated Hose Problem
viewtopic.php?t=19630

May 01, 2007 subject: Hose Melted!!
viewtopic.php?t=19630

----------------------------

I'd still use either one -- Aussie heated hose or the Repti heat cable, myself. But that's just me.

LINKS to discussions about the Aussie heated hose - to prevent rainout
viewtopic.php?t=5305
I have been using the Repti heater cable since January, have had no problems. Really like it. I too have forgotten to unplug it, but it does not get warm enough to melt plastic.I also have it over my headboard hanging down. I figure if the Aussie hose is 15 watts, so is my Repti cable, it should be ok. But then, who knows, anything can happen. Like everything else, there are the ones that have a glitch in them, I just hope mine is not one of them.

Started using cpap Sept. 12, 2007
Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap Auto w/Flex,pressure of 9/15, do not use ramp

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:16 pm

The heat question involves heat wattage, but also it is a question of area in which the heat is concentrated. A 15 watt Aussie hose has the heat evenly distributed over the surface area by virtue of the heating wire winding evenly down its length. I do not know how much area is beneath the heater you are using, but as an example, the soldering pencils used for working on circuit boards are also 15W. They just concentrate the heat at a point.

TerryB

roster

Post by roster » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:15 pm

I wish I had never used the Zoo Med Repti Heat cable. I rolled over onto my face with the Repti underneath when I was in a long stage 4.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Ooops looks like someone couldn't sleep last nite - so they came to flame while I was pushing zeroes.

viewtopic/t29808/Lastnite-my-AHI-was-ze ... -AHIs.html

Guess I had my Repti fire controller dialed right in on zero. I am sure it is a combination of things and the Repti Heater sure does help but your neighbors will hate you for it. Funny what high AHI's will do to a persons insecurity. Go figure.

;)