Is Cpap linked with hair loss?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
airhead

Is Cpap linked with hair loss?

Post by airhead » Mon May 09, 2005 9:03 pm

Or just air loss?
feeling stronger everyday...."Chicago"

bigcat

Post by bigcat » Mon May 09, 2005 10:07 pm

No way, hair loss can't be blamed on cpap or ball caps. I wish it were that easy

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Tue May 10, 2005 7:53 am

Besides....hair goes through 3 phases. First it is parted. Second it is unparted (the famous horseshoe haircut), and the third phase is departed. So in summary:

1) Parted
2) Unparted
3) Departed

And in that order.

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Wed May 11, 2005 8:02 pm

Are you guys nuts? You should not be posting statements that CPAP may somehow cause hair loss as the very opposite is true!

Baldies ( like I once was myself) will start investigating and then they'll all want CPAP units for the wrong reason. If you think it's tough to get good service now just wait till the hairless crowd flock in to snap up CPAP units- there will be waiting lists ten to twelve months long. None of this same day service we have now.

Truth is I was bald as the proverbial cue ball. Researched my condition to try and improve the hair count and found some interesting facts on the Follicle Foundation of America web site. Seems very gentle but continuous vibration stimuli of the scalp actually awakens dormant hair follicles producing multiple orgasmic growth. CPAP masks, with all the straps around the head transmit vibrations from the operating CPAP wind movement at just the right frequency and hair growth is imminent.

We have to keep this secret under our belts - oops I take that back, above our collars. We sure as hell don't want old men driving around or sitting in front of us at the movies with their portable CPAP units and hoses sticking up in the air.

Much of my hair around the edges has almost completely grown back and am now looking to purchase a CPAP mask with just one circular strap five inches in diameter that will adhere to the top of my scalp. Any thoughts on where I could get one of these?

Bob F

P.S. - as a downside, the Foundation also has studies indicating that the vibration stimuli produced extensive facial hair growth. This was especially true for women. My take on this is that any female CPAP users should not let CPAP mask straps touch their face. Certainly no nasal pillows as hair growth in that area is most unsightly and could eventually cause severe nasal blockage.
unclebob

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Wed May 11, 2005 8:19 pm

BEDLAM AND PANDEMONIUM

Bald males flock to CPAPland for miracle cure while bearded females stampede in mass exodus!

Story at 11..........

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Wed May 11, 2005 9:28 pm

Well Unk, I hope that spray paint don't rub off on the straps.. and that remark about the old guys in the theater, I represent that remark.

Remember, bald is beautiful.

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Thu May 12, 2005 7:33 am

Spray paint?!?!
You mean, all this time we women have been fooled by spray paint??
I don't believe it! My brother-in-law swore to me it's not paint; it's a magical sheath that simulates a dazzling head of hair. (It says so right on the can...)

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Thu May 12, 2005 6:55 pm

I asked my intended this question and his answer is, "If the headgear rubs the wrong direction it could." The actual CPAP No but the headgear is questionable.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Thu May 12, 2005 7:33 pm

Hi Severeena,

Just could not understand your post - I am a little "thick" in more ways than one. Spouse seems to be OK with that and so does the girlfriend.

Need a little clarification on the following:

- intended what? Great intentions lead to many things.

- What "Head"gear are you talking about?

- Which way is the best way to rub the "Head"gear? Is there a wrong way?

- What could it do if the "Head"gear rubs the wrong way?

These are just the questions I have from your first short sentence. I really did not want to get into the second sentence as too much clarification is needed for me!

Bob F

P.S. - Your post made no mention of the hose. Does this come into play?
unclebob

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Thu May 12, 2005 8:30 pm

unclebob, the term intended was used a long time ago to mean engaged.

The head gear I am talking about are the straps that holds the face mask on at night.

If the head gear rubs the hair in the wrong direction, opposite of the way it grows, it will cause the hair to eventually not grow.

The CPAP machine does not cause the hair loss only the head gear.

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Thu May 12, 2005 8:39 pm

Who needs hair on top anyway? When you can comb it up from the sides or the back forward and swirl it all around and add a little spray paint to it to fill in any blank spots? And of course lots of hair spray to hold it in place. Swimming is a little rough as the paint may come off and hair gets all in your eyes and on your shoulder ...but..other than that...

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Thu May 12, 2005 8:42 pm

The hair loss is on the back side of the head.

Now the top not so sure. I could tell you my therory how the hair loss occurs but not here.

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Thu May 12, 2005 8:51 pm

The hair loss is on the back side of the head.

Now the top not so sure. I could tell you my therory how the hair loss occurs but not here.

hummm....a headboard theory? I know that one Sharon, as it cause mine. However, where the straps rub...my scalp beneath the hair does sometimes get flaky. Do ladies have a problem with straps from the masks rubbing on their hair too?

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Fri May 13, 2005 5:46 am

I do and I have another problem because my hair is on the long side. The hair gets into the velcro. IT HURTS!!

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Fri May 13, 2005 7:51 am

OUCH!! So I imagine you take the mask off slowly then. If you have to undo the velcro, you have to re-adjust the straps every night. I got mine where it seems to fit good and put a mark where the velcro should fit. That way when I take it loose to wash it or for whatever reason, I can put it back closely to the same position. It at least gives me a new starting position.