Can not sleep all night with the mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bmorroni

Can not sleep all night with the mask

Post by Bmorroni » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:09 pm

I wanted to get some advice. I am a new CPAP user and I have found that I take the mask off every night in my sleep. I do not recall doing this, but I have been in it for a couple months and have yet to wake up with it on. Any advice or suggestions?

wizardlady4u

CPAP MASK

Post by wizardlady4u » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:15 pm

I have the same problem as you. I awake all the time with my mask off. You just have to program your brain every night to keep it on. After a few months of using the machine you will see a huge difference in your gettin sleep. Then you will find you are able to leave it on through the night. It took me a good 3 months til I got used to it all. Good luck!!

johnnygoodman

Post by johnnygoodman » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:57 pm

Howdy,

This questions comes up a lot of cpaptalk. What is the name of the mask you have? If you don't know, please describe it. What color is it? Does it cover your nose and mouth, nose only or does it have nasal pillows?

Once we know that, we'll be able to give much better advice. Getting the right CPAP mask, and the right size, is a critical aspect in treatment. Without that working for you - your OSA is not being properly treated!

Johnny

nodding off

Post by nodding off » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:18 pm

Comfort is a big issue. Once you are really comfortable and getting good sleep, the mask will stay on. You probably have some issues to address to be comfortable. First, are you using humidification? I've personally found that the moister the air I ram into my nose the more comfortable I am. You should be using a heated humidifier and have it cranked up to the point of rainout. Secondly, if you are using a nasal mask and you are mouth breathing you will be gasping for air, and could possibly take the mask off. I was doing that in the beginning. I learned to sleep with my mouth sealed over time, and with the help of a chinstrap. Signs of mouth breathing are waking up with dry mouth or waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air. If you sleep with someone, ask them if they notice your taking off the mask.. I'll bet you aren't just laying there quietly and removing it. Also, is your mask comfortable? If not, try another and see if the problem persists. If you can pinpoint why, there are solutions for all the issues.

There

Post by There » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:13 pm

Bmorroni:

I'm new to the CPAP, too, just going into my second week. And I have to say that the improvements I've felt so far have all come from twiddling and adjusting the mask I had nearly every night. I finally got to a point where there was nothing left to twiddle, however, and went back to my doctor's office today. They switched me from the ProfileLite Gel to the ComfortSelect. Not one of the newer/fancier ones with the more-user friendly headgear, but still a huge improvement. It's lighter, more adjustable, and does a better job of distributing the weight of the mask over my forehead. Looking forward to trying to sleep with it tonight, because last night was positive misery.

OK, that, and I got my blue SnuggleHose cover today and really enjoy, well, snuggling it... Sinister, that, making CPAP equipment cuddly

Tina
RemStar M Series Auto w/C-Flex, many masks (ComfortCurve, Comfort Lite, MirageSwift, lots of personal mods)

Bmorroni

Post by Bmorroni » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:36 am

My Mask is a resporonic comfort select. It is a nose mask and it is clear in color.

MartiniLover

Post by MartiniLover » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:04 pm

I was the same, 3 months in and complaining to my doctor, and he gave me the best advice.

"Get over it! Just keep the mask on."

That night I did.

The next day I ordered a new mask and when ever I found my self with out a mask on, I changed masks. I found changing mask to be easy in the middle of the night, and usually was because what ever I was wearing made me uncomfortable.

Remember you have to be the policeman of your self. The alternative could be death.

Good Luck

Bipap 13/9, 10ft Hose

jashmir3

Post by jashmir3 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:08 pm

I am new to the cpap by 3 weeks. I have hardly worn it all night. I do remember taking it off at least except one night, 2 nights ago. I thought I was weird. I also wear nasal pillows. Hope I will see some results soon. Hope you can conquer this!!!
Longing 4 rest!!

SleepyGuy

Re: CPAP MASK

Post by SleepyGuy » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:54 pm

wizardlady4u wrote:

You just have to program your brain every night to keep it on.
I agree. I used to think, "I hate wearing the mask." Then I realized would have to change my way of thinking. You have to look at the mask and say, "This is the thing that will make me well. It is my best friend."

There are other little things I do. I keep the hallway light on. (A nightlight would work just as well.) I find that if I take the mask off, I'm more likely to wake up and notice it if the room is a little more light.

gailzee

Re: Can not sleep all night with the mask

Post by gailzee » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:46 pm

My best night time watcher, is my husband. This board knows him as Flashlight Billy. He gets up when I'm ostensibly sleeping, with his flashlight, looking at me, the # on my apap, my nasal pillows. He found my chin strap in the bathroom on the floor. I never remember yanking off, but I must be programmed in my brain, because the machine and htd humidifier are off, and he doesn't touch the machinery.

These are the ''funny'' things of ''pap world". But I am most thankful I have a supportive home life, half the battle.

Take ea. night as it comes, try for one hr. then 1 1/2 hrs. and so on. May be tiring at first, but eventually you will adjust I am on 3 mos. nd still annoyed with the whole situation, why I need it, putting it on, cleaning, what not, but now I don't think about it, because if it even gives me one more day and helps my many health problems it's worth it.

Of course, there's always Lunesta (or ambien) for those nights when one can't sleep. I have weaned off all sleep med's since dedicating my remaining brain cells to GET USED TO APAP.

Come to this board, it's a big helper, open all night.
Bmorroni wrote:I wanted to get some advice. I am a new CPAP user and I have found that I take the mask off every night in my sleep. I do not recall doing this, but I have been in it for a couple months and have yet to wake up with it on. Any advice or suggestions?

NeurosurgeryNP

Post by NeurosurgeryNP » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:28 pm

Word to the wise:

Anything with "comfort" in it's name generally isn't comfortable. And if it's not comfortable, you are going to be apt to rip it off. As a general rule, I have learned here, that Respironics makes great machines but lousy masks, as with their ComfortLite. Resmed makes great masks, I have two - a FF ultra mirage and an Activa. I am new too, only around 1 1/2 months on cpap. I can tell you that I never have woke up with the mask off - I used Ambien the first 3 nights to help fall asleep and Benadryl for 2 -3 nights after and nothing since then. Never have had a problem since.

Hope this helps. Jen

IWannaSleep

SnuggleHose!!

Post by IWannaSleep » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:48 pm

SnuggleHose cover!! Where can i buy one
9 cm h2o

Yoga

Post by Yoga » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:59 pm

The cheapest place to purchase the snuggle hose is at:

http://www.snugglehose.com

They even custom make covers.

However, I only used mine a few times as the Australian heated hose is far superior. The cost is about $85 U.S. and you have to get an adapter at Radio Shack for about $20.

http://www.sleepzone.com.au/

SleepyGuy

Post by SleepyGuy » Sun May 01, 2005 12:07 am

The last few nights I've gotten up to find the mask off and the machine switched off. Tonight I put some velcro straps on a shoebox which I've fit over the machine and some velcro connectors on the machine. The only way for me to turn off the machine will be to undo the velcro straps first. I figure that should prevent me from turning it off without completely waking up. Wish me luck.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun May 01, 2005 10:59 am

Bmorroni, if you can get your DME ("Durable Medical Equipment" - home health care supplies provider) to let you switch that Comfort Select for an Activa mask made by ResMed, you might find the Activa much, much more comfortable to wear. The straps of the Activa are supposed to be worn very loose - almost floppy loose. The Activa seals amazingly well and is not as apt to hurt your face/nose as the so-called "Comfort" Select they pawned off on you.

Other masks that could be much more comfortable than what you have are the Breeze or the Swift. Those are called "nasal pillows" interfaces. Many people find nasal pillows masks more comfortable to wear than any kind of nasal (covers the nose) mask.

While there is something to be said for adopting an attitude of "I'm going to wear this thing all night...I'm just going to DO IT.", it certainly helps to have a mask that suits you well before you start trying to make yourself keep it on.

If the mask is comfortable on you, then, yes...positive thinking could help. But if the mask is digging in, causing sores on the bridge of the nose or waking you with leaks throughout the night, you really need to try a different mask, imho.

Good luck!