New CPAP users: Some Common Questions Asked And Answered

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
socknitster

New CPAP users: Some Common Questions Asked And Answered

Post by socknitster » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:49 pm

Fellow PAP'rs

I must be approachable, because I get PM'd with questions like these (to follow) all the time. So, while I know we have the collective wisdom and FAQ and all that, they don't address some of the questions herein that I get asked a lot (weekly, it seems). I thought I would start a dialogue for Newbies here and I hope other Veteran CPAP'rs will join in and help me answer them.

Dear Jen,

I wonder if you could take the time to answer a couple of questions I have.

I want the M series A-flex (auto) if I can get the data card.
From reading posts, I understand it is difficult. I see that you have it.

Can you share how you did that? I use private mail because I think folks are sensitive about this.

And, I am a mouth breather. If I had a chin strap, would your type mask be good to start?

I am willing to try. This mask thing seems to be complex.

Thanks for your time.

New CPAP'r (I withheld name)
Dear New CPAP'r,

Good for you! You are on the right track. You want to have a good machine and be able to monitor your own treatment. Don't give up if you have trouble, because it is worth it--every diabetic can look at their numbers in the morning, so why shouldn't you?

I think every person on this forum is either in your boat or has been.

I don't know much about your situation, but this is what I did. When I went for my first DME visit, I had printouts of all the machines and comparison charts from cpap.com. The RT at the DME thus knew that I was informed, and that I KNEW how much these things cost online. It was a very subtle threat, but it gave me leverage. If you have insurance and you want the ease of using your local DME instead of getting reimbursement yourself from your insurance, I would recommend using this tactic. I had about 1/2 a ream of paper, stacked, with circles and arrows and scribbles and I rifled through it the whole time I was there!

BTW: Should you desire to avoid this dance, I recommend making your purchase from our host, https://www.cpap.com. They are a reliable company, their prices are excellent and we owe them a lot for giving us this forum. I have ordered supplies from them several times and been ecstatic with the service I got.

Back to the DME. So, first they tried to give me the basic machine without the card. I put my foot down that I needed a machine with data capability. I didn't insist on an auto because I wasn't certain at the time that that was what I needed, but I did insist on a machine with a card. They promised to order me one and I got it within 2 weeks.

Since most insurance co's pay RENTAL for the first 3-6 months, at an exhorbitant cost, and THEN buy the machine, they are ultimately paying usually 2-3 times the cost of the machine online. The DME's don't want you to "fire" them and buy online if you aren't happy, so they should get you what you want. If they don't you can always verbalize the threat if they are too dense to get the subtle hint. And you CAN fire them and use another DME or buy online--it might be more footwork and phone time with your insurance, but it CAN be done. I have read about folks here doing just that.

Now the software is a separate issue. The DME is VERY UNLIKELY to provide that, although there is the rare occasion you hear of it happening. Your best bet is to buy the BRAND NEW (edited October 5, 2007 to include new software info.) end user software offered by Respironics and available at cpap.com, our host. You will also need the mako card reader, which I believe someone has posted a link to below. It is the same one offered by Respironics at a higher cost. You can get it at TwoFactors and throw away the driver that comes with it--the Respironics software should provide the correct driver needed to use the card reader effectively.

Unless your DME is doing regular downloads and looking at your numbers--(most don't, but mine actually does, though not very frequently,) there is no way of knowing if your pressure needs have changed due to weight gain or loss, age or surgery or something like that.

Now, I'm NOT advocating making changes to your pressure without consulting your doctor first. I think if you have a good doctor who is interested in your treatment, that is who you should be consulting with regarding any change in pressure. But it is important to know if what the machine is doing while you are sleeping is EFFECTIVE or not. That way, say, if you discover you have a good AHI (under 5) but are still tired, perhaps you need to find out if you need to work on sleep hygiene or maybe have some bloodwork done, or maybe a complete physical and workup. Or maybe you are set at the wrong pressure!

Too many people are using the machines without data, still feeling like crap, giving up, and chucking the machine in the closet to gather dust and THEN developing high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, strokes, depression and a myriad of other health complications related to hypoxia (low blood oxygen) and poor sleep.

Diabetics and other patients of other ailments monitor their progress daily. This is also necessary for an informed cpap user. I heard recently of someone on cpap for 20 months. They still felt like crap but they did not have a data-compatible machine. Finally after another psg (polysomnogram--sleep study) they discovered that their pressure needs were actually much higher--nearly twice the pressure originally prescribed.

This would never have happened if this individual had been given the opportunity to track his or her own treatment. This is what we are fighting for. It is a righteous fight. It will be easier if you make sure your doctor is informed about what is available and what you are willing to do. If they write the prescription for the data-recording machine, your fight will be easier (usually). And if he or she is made aware of the controversy existing around this topic and that people fall thru the cracks (like my poor friend I told you about above) they will be able to not only help YOU, but others in your community as well, to get proper therapy for this disorder.

This treatment isn't the easiest. And it isn't transparent. It is complicated. The more infomation we have, the more we are empowered to take charge of our own health and live longer and better for doing it.

Another important issue: Giving up. Don't. This takes time to get used to. I see lots of newbie posts about feeling like giving up. Your initial reaction to cpap treatment might be disgust, but time and the proper equiptment will make such a difference not only the way you feel, but your overall health, that you must be stubborn with yourself and keep at it. Do NOT GIVE UP. You are worth the trouble and expense it may take to find the proper mask or complete set up. Within a month or two I was sleeping better than I had MY WHOLE LIFE. My mood improved. My high blood pressure returned to normal. I had more energy (and still do) than I can remember in a long time. You don't have to live life in a fog. What other ailment can you have that the treatment for is AIR?

Onto the mask issue:

If you are a mouth breather, life is more complicated than if you aren't. I would first try full face masks--there are quite a few good ones on the market. Talk with your insurance and dme to find out what the replacement schedule is and how many you are allowed at first. A good DME will let you spend quite a long time trying them on with your machine on in the office and really good ones will let you lie down, because when gravity acts on a horizontal face, the mask will fit VERY differently.

I am one of the unlucky ones whose anatomy just doesn't go well with any of the ff masks. I use: swift II (I have tried about 14 different masks and it is my fave--but your mileage will vary!) and a Topaz Tiara chinstrap and a 4" piece of rayon/cotton fabric tape made by 3-M over my lips in an attempt to seal them.

I use Rooster's fabulous taping technique: I put on lip balm, then turn my lips in toward my teeth. Put on the tape smoothly (if you are a lady you are trying to prevent wrinkles!) and then don the rest of my gear. Some nights the tape gets wet from drool and some nights I still manage to leak thru my mouth and that wakes me up, but most of the time I go to sleep at night and don't wake up til morning's light and wake very refreshed with this set up.

If there were an alternative to taping, I would try it. But I don't have any other choice at this point in time. Some have experimented with homemade boil and bite guards to "seal" the mouth. I haven't been able to get that to work. Hopefully the manufacturers will address this soon.

Masks are complex. One observation that I have made about mask noise is this: if the part where the exhalation ports (holes for your CO2 to come out of the circuit) is lies in soft rubbery material, the mask will be noisier than if the exhalation ports are in hard plastic. This only matters to you if you think the noise will bother you. Every mask is different. And some people like the white noise their mask makes because it blocks out other unwanted sound that could wake them. So, it just depends on your personal preferences.

I hope I answered most of your questions satisfactorily.

Please visit us here often. The more the merrier. This is a great community with all kinds of people--many of whome have a lot of great ideas and valuable experiences. I count many among them as friends, though I have never met them.

Jen

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, cpap.com, swift, newbie, CPAP, DME, AHI, seal, auto

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, cpap.com, swift, CPAP, DME, AHI, seal, auto

Last edited by socknitster on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Organplayer

Post by Organplayer » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for all that info.

I asked my RT for the software just to see what he would say and he thought I was crazy. I said I track my results, hence the reason why I asked for an S8.
He said very kindly that the software was for clinicians only and that I had no need for it. I knew that would be the answer.

I have since approached a friend in a local college who said he would help come up with code to help me read my card. So now I am off to get a card reader.

I hope we will reach a day when open source code will apply to this also. Highly doubtful.

I'm probably in trouble for writing this, but I strongly feel the software should be made available. People need to see what their therapy looks like. I know the comments here helped me learn to read my results, my sleep study and I feel in control of my therapy. My doc even encouraged me when I presented my limited results to her. She said that if she had more folks doing that, they would have a better time doing the treatment and feel better faster.

My two quarter notes worth.

Kevin ( practicing Bach for tomorrow)

Average AHI: 2 over the last year
Pressure:14 2600 hrs +

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:47 pm

Darn Jen, that surgery must have helped get oxygen to your brain!

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

marymoon

Post by marymoon » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:52 pm

ITA with the need for the software, or at the very least some type of end-user version, to be available to the masses.

My father and brother both died from heart conditions, I believe made worse by their untreated sleep apnea. I was diagnosed back in March and after a very rough start due to an ankle fracture, jaw surgery and recent septoplasty, I'm FINALLY able to be 100% compliant and use nasal pillows. I had also just gotten to the point I could afford to purchase the software when it got yanked from the market.

Now, all the data I have to rely on is what's shown on my display screen. It's not much, but better than nothing. I'm a tad OCD and would love to pull my data every morning so I could review and tweak my treatment, but I seem to be SOL. I know that I certainly don't want my life cut short like it was for my brother - age 44 and Dad, age 73.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:52 pm

It did--I feel better than ever I can remember in my adult life--and am looking younger each day, believe it or not. I'm breathing better during the day too. My tonsils were so big they sometimes touched--not my uvula--each other! Yuck! I really am doing better. Still healing, so who knows where I'm going next.

Jen

Perchancetodream

Post by Perchancetodream » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:58 pm

Thanks for all the information!

I especially like the tip about printing out the pages from cpap.com. I did the same thing to an auto dealer with pages from Edmonds.com. Worked like a charm!

Susan

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:43 pm

I just want to add that the real solution to the whole software debacle is if the DME's would do what mine actually does do (at least half-way):

Have you come in periodically to check your numbers. Sadly it sounds like most do not do this.

Mine does, but doesn't share that info with me. They take my card and replace it with a new one. I don't know yet if she ever gets back to you with comments/instructions/revisions of your data/pressure needs.

My RT is totally fine with me checking my own data. She was surprised because i was the first one to want to do that (she has been doing this 20 years or more).

Jen

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Dang it! I was completely misled that this was a poo-flinging thread! This is completely rational, sane, and intelligent discussion!

YOU GO GIRL!

BTW, Jen, when you become an RT, lemme know, so I can come get serviced by a rational, intelligent being vs. the money-grubbing meth addicts in my town.

Three Cheers for Jen!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:29 pm

My thing about the software is that it can't be that difficult to put out a "user only" version. (there's revenue there also....can't believe the bozo's haven't thought of that angle)....
It's a MSSQL DB. It is done with tables, reports, stored procedures etc. etc. etc. (I won't bore you with more minute details).

I believe the only legitimate argument that Respronics has for pulling Encore Pro software is the machine control portion. There is no logical reason to deprive users of the data that can help them determine if their treatment is working or not.
Totally agree with Jen though, that one should always consult the doc with regards to the treatment -- I know a lot of us don't always do that, but personally I like to keep my doc in the loop (I also have a very good doc). Doctors need to embrace educated patients, not push them away and treat them like idiots......Who's the idiot??

There are also DME arguments in that if you and I are making the simple pressure changes to our machines, they don't get to bill (rip off) the insurance company over $100 for a 30 second change......

It should be a fairly simple procedure to "comment" out the sections of code that allow the machine manipulation and allow the data collection and report generation to continue.

The bottom line is dollars. Somewhere, somehow, someone thinks they're going to lose a buck or two if the software is available to the public.

My suggestion is to inundate the manufacturer with emails, letters (much
more effective), phone calls and express your displeasure that there is no user version of the report generator available.

One thought just occured to me, is that there are Federal laws in place that ensure that your medical records, treatments, test results etc. are all available to you. Why is it "legal" to "hide" this part of those medical records????
Congress?? (Useless as they are, there IS an election coming up)......

'nuff said......

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Perchancetodream

Post by Perchancetodream » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:50 pm

Why is it that some manufacturers, like Puritan Bennet, provide the software? Or does Silverlining just record compliance?

As for access to medical records, I think that varies by state, doesn't it?

Susan

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:30 pm

I'll tell you I will vote with my dollars when I buy the next machine in the years to come. Chances are my 35 year old body that is now being well-oxygenated each night will probably live a long, long time, barring accident.

If there is a company providing end users with proper therapy via the lcd screen or software, I will buy from them, not the ones creating this debacle.

Am I the only one who is getting these pm's maybe 1 or 2 a week from desperate new users who want to know what the hell is happening to them when they sleep?

I don't like the "threat" that the two BIG R companies have made us to feel about this software. I have people contacting me worried that I'm going to get in trouble for talking about this--like serious trouble. What is Respironics going to do--raid my home and take my machine and software because I'm raising the vital issue of knowing how your therapy is going? Are they going to fine me because I brought up piracy? Do I want anyone here to pirate? No! I want the damn companies/doctors/dme's to provide apnea patients with proper care.

When people still feel like crap after being on xpap for a while they are going to do one of three things: call their doc, look for more answers on their own, or chuck the machine. I personally would rather see the first two in that order!

I WANT THE DOCS AND DME'S to give a flying crap about us and take proper care of us--but they are majorly letting us down. And now we aren't even able to educate and care for ourselves! How many have died from heart attack, stroke or congestive heart failure because xpap was too much to stomache and they had no resources.

What IS the official thing we are supposed to tell newbies who ask us where to buy software so they know if their apnea is under control? A diabetic and a patient with high blood pressure can easily monitor to see if their disorder is under control, why can't we?

Once, when I had a terrible bout of high blood pressure and was in the hospital after surgery, they wouldn't release me until my husband went out and bought a home bp monitor. And I was to faithfully take it several times a day until the issue resolved. They told me to go to the emergency room if it went over xx/xx.

Where is that same care and concern over this? I think it is JUST AS SERIOUS. But because apnea isn't as high profile as, say, ERECTILE DISFUNCTION, or meds for preventing the spread of HERPES, no money/time/care goes there.

Personally, I'd take Oxygen over Sex any day, (but sex is good too . I just have priorities.

Jen

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Ohhhh MY

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Yeah -- without O2 there ain't much else!!!!!!!

When you make up the placards put me on the list!!!!!! Well said!!!!!

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:18 pm

I'll send you the t-shirt.

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:48 pm

I'll take O2 over sex any day.... Haven't had anything I'd call decent sex in the past 15 years anyway... Sex with old men is HIGHLY OVERRATED....

Sigh... I really wish I didn't have 17 year old football players working out 10 yards from my back door...

LOL,
B. - And no, I'm not going Mary Kay LeTourneau! I gotta pay the rent - can't afford to lose my job! (And my self respect, and my friends, and my family, and.....)

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)