Forum Suggestions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Do you think adding some forums to separate content would make this site more user friendly?

Absolutely, the more the better! Lets get specific topic forums.
9%
It could, as long as it was only a few more (very general focus)
31%
Why bother? it's fine now.
59%

Total votes: 54

SleepFitness

Forum Suggestions

Post by SleepFitness » Wed May 02, 2007 9:37 pm

I find it a bit confusing to browse this forum the way it's laid out. Here's my humble suggestions:

1) Add the following forums:

CPAP Hardware questions
- REMstar M-series
- Respironics related
- RESmed related
- All others makers?
- Humidifiers
- Tubes, fittings, and warmers

CPAP Mask questions
- Nasal pillows
- Nasal masks
- full face masks
- Comfort Curve
- etc...

Software questions
- Encore Pro software info
- MyEncore add-on info
- Encore Pro Analyzer info

Diagnosis discussion

Recent Articles / Reports

Classifieds
- CPAP gear For sale
- CPAP gear wanted

Just a personal preference, but really, it's tough to scann more than the past few topics without glazing over from repeat questions when its not even close to what I'm looking for. I know there's a search feature, but with separate forums we could also set up a daily/weekly forum email summary (I have similar subscriptions on other forums I belong to and love them). That way I could subscibe to only the Recent Articles forum for new postings, or quickly narrow a search for Respironics related info, etc....

Just a thought... more than 1 forum may be helpful. [/b]

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, resmed, Encore Pro, CPAP, Nasal Pillows, Comfort Curve

linda b

Post by linda b » Wed May 02, 2007 9:56 pm

This subject has been brought up several times before. Most members feel the forum is best the way it is and I agree. My feeling is that the new members/guests would not get the help and attention they need if the site was divided into several forums. I think we all benefit from reading about other peoples questions, experiences, etc.
Linda B.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed May 02, 2007 10:02 pm

Great first post man.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

SleepFitness

Post by SleepFitness » Wed May 02, 2007 10:37 pm

linda b wrote:This subject has been brought up several times before.
So obviously there are many of us who feel this way.
Most members feel the forum is best the way it is and I agree.
There's a poll at the top of this page if you want to vote for yourself... I'll give the "most members" demographic the same curtesy to speak for themselves.
My feeling is that the new members/guests would not get the help and attention they need if the site was divided into several forums. I think we all benefit from reading about other peoples questions, experiences, etc.
Really? Well, being a new member/guest I can tell you there is nothing more scarry or frustrating then reading through one single list of unrelated topics when searching for recent threads on a specific product.

My gut instinct was that this site was rarely used, and hence the single forum, but after watching the posting rates find its more likely just complacency or fear of change... ODNTS (old dog, new tricks syndrome).

Fighting Oh-don'ts disease one step at a time.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed May 02, 2007 10:47 pm

viewtopic.php?t=4149
A poll in Aug 13, 2005
Should cpaptalk Be Divided Into Categories or Subsections?

Then, and now, I voted that I like it the way it is.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed May 02, 2007 10:55 pm

I think they should add Scratch-n-Sniff pages,

look for it on My Name is Earl this thursday on NBC, you'll get a sampling
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

blarg

Post by blarg » Wed May 02, 2007 11:02 pm

If you want a sub forum for every single mask then ugh.

Two changes I think would help a LOT:

- Disable guest posting.
- Have a few stickies on things like CPAP Pro that get asked every few weeks.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

MissDozer

Post by MissDozer » Thu May 03, 2007 12:27 am

I just know I'd miss something if there were other categories!

kteague

Two More Cents

Post by kteague » Thu May 03, 2007 7:29 am

I personally don't spend much time on forums that are too "choppy" unless I'm on a mission with a specific question. Then I can appreciate that format. But for regular browsing, it feels a bit restrictive.

The thing about sleep apnea, and especially with new people... Wait. To start that over... When I was new (and even often now) what I thought was my subject ended up after some input not being my issue at all. Often astute observations and suggestions that are not reflected in the subject title change the course of a thread in helpful ways. Sometimes a posting will be mentioned that is unfamiliar, and I find that it was in a thread I chose not to read because the title led me to believe it was totally inapplicable to me. How much more that would happen with me if threads were categorized.

The "Our Collective Wisdom" section is an effort to categorize some commonly discussed topics, particularly for the benefit of those who are new.

Maybe I'm just an old dog and resist change. Or maybe I've used all my adaptive energies on cpap and life. The most I would like to see is maybe a numeric value assigned to posts (originators selection) that corresponds to a limited number of general categories, along with a sort option to pull those out/together. But not being a programmer, I have no idea if that would be a hornets nest.

Kathy

frete50

Post by frete50 » Thu May 03, 2007 7:38 am

I like the forum just the way it is. I learn information about all types of xPAP equipment. The forum in this format helps the newbies to make educated decisions about their treatment.

Becky

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Thu May 03, 2007 7:40 am

The only problem I have with this board is that so many people post on the same page that most of the time my posts get buried at the bottom very quickly. It makes it hard for your post to stay visible for over a couple of hours so if someone hasn't responded with the needed information quick you sometimes get overlooked or at least feel overlooked so we post again which causes the vicious circle.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu May 03, 2007 7:58 am

I've only been member here for a few months and other than the two things below, I love the forum the way it is now.

dieselgal, yeah, I agree with posts getting "lost" sometimes because this board is so active--and being active is a very good thing --it's happened to me as well. At times, I've seen posters "bump" their own posts in order to get them up to the top again when no one had resonded and the post was falling further and further down the list.

I would also like to see some things get stickies, as blarg suggested. A perfect examle, IMO, is the thread for selling/trading masks, and the thread for reporting your experiences with those you have sold to/bought from/traded with! So far I've had such great experiences with trading that I'd hate to see those threads get lost.

Pam

Vader

Re: Forum Suggestions

Post by Vader » Thu May 03, 2007 8:13 am

I voted "Why bother? it's fine now". I would really hate to see a change because it's great the way it is.

I just wish I had a bit more time to visit here like I used to...

Vader

Vader

Post by Vader » Thu May 03, 2007 8:19 am

Snoredog wrote:Great first post man.

ROFL!

...and that is one of the things that I miss the most.

Vader

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Thu May 03, 2007 8:38 am

I still haven't determined why I need to click twice to cast a vote?

People have more fun than anybody..