soaked in sweat even with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Danalex

soaked in sweat even with CPAP

Post by Danalex » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:34 am

I'm getting fed up with waking up wet in sweat most nights. Some are so wet I have to change the sheets.

I've also been feeling really horrible for the past many months when I wake up. Except for 2 nights this week. I thought I was over whatever it was but it's back.

I even went for covid tests last year thinking I may have it. Negative.

I'm wondering if I'm having big apnea events and that's why I'm sweating like I did years ago before being diagnosed.

My machine tells me my AHI is 0.3, Total AI is 0.1, Central AI 0.0 and pressure is 12.4

I've got a Garmin watch that measures O2 concentrations for 3 hours during the night and it reads I go from a low of 81 to a high of 100, usually an average of 93.

Today I increased my min pressure from 10 to 12 and max pressure form 15 to 17 wondering if that will change anything.

I'v been to the GP for blood tests 8 months ago and everything there was ok and tests again last week with no results yet. For starters she want to be certain the CPAP therapy is working properly. I'm going to a sleep clinic next week but without a prescription they won't change any setting but I'll see what they say anyways.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Last edited by Danalex on Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Re: soaked in sweat even with CPAP

Post by LSAT » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:51 am

Are you using humidity? What setting?
Are you using a heated hose? What setting?

Danalex

Post by Danalex » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:59 am

climate control Auto
Tube Temp 16

oh Leak is 23l / per min which sounds like a lot but in the main menu it shows Leak with a smiley face :D
Last edited by Danalex on Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:01 am

Night sweats like that warrant a doctor's participation.
With the AHI so low...I seriously doubt that sleep apnea is the culprit.
The episode of low O2...might have been just a loss of contact artifact and you would need to confirm or negate that result by seeing just low long you were at the 81%.
I doubt that changing your settings will resolve your issue. I would look elsewhere for the cause.
Sorry...probably not what you wanted to hear.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:02 am

Question though...
Male or female?
Age???
Wonder if it is hormonal changes???
I assume thyroid has been checked an all is normal???

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Danalex

Post by Danalex » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:04 am

I was thinking about getting an O2 monitor that tracks the whole night instead of just 3 hours. Is a low of 81 serious enough to warrant exploring that?

Or trying supplemental O2 on my own.

Danalex

Post by Danalex » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:07 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:02 am
Question though...
Male or female?
Age???
Wonder if it is hormonal changes???
I assume thyroid has been checked an all is normal???
Male almost 70, probably not hormones ;)

Don't know about thyroid in particular, I guess abnormalities would show up on a blood test?

I do have something with the aorta, enlarging maybe, that the cardiologist monitors once a year. I've been doing heavy construction work and if it was going to pop it would have by now lol

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:30 am

Thyroid is a hormone and a common routine blood test but I would verify that it was done just to eliminate thyroid issues right off the bat.
I don't ever assume something was done just because "some blood tests were done"....I go look at exactly which tests were done and what the results were.
There are actually 3 thyroid tests that are commonly looked at ...T3..T4 and TSH.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:54 am

There are a couple of conditions where you would sweat a lot that have nothing to do with apnea, but you should get a referral to a neurologist or endocrinologist to let them see what's going on.

But don't assume that a Covid test 'last year' will have any meaningful insight now into things if you e.g. caught Covid even 3 months ago.

plakky

Post by plakky » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:04 pm

In the meantime while you look into medical issues, is your bedroom cool or is it too warm? An inexpensive bedside fan can make a huge difference in nighttime comfort.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Not always a good idea for various reasons... A/C yes, bedside fan no.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:34 pm

I wasn't aware that XPAP treatment cured night sweats, wish it did. I keep my bedroom at 63 degrees year around, still too hot for me. I am diabetic with a A1C over 7.8, (Still too high). You might have your Fasting A1C tested also. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:18 pm

I second the suggestion for a neurologist and endocrinologist. Both of those systems might be responsible for some things that cause night sweats. Males do have hormones too, they don't just go through an official "menopause" (would it be called "womenopause" in men? :lol: :lol: :lol: ). Not only sex hormones cause night sweats.

And, since you are male, no doctor is going to shine you off by saying "it's just menopause".
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Danalex

Post by Danalex » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:54 pm

we keep the house pretty cool, 22 celcius, we watch tv with blankets or long sleeves. Maybe I should go lower but when I'm not pouring sweat it's just fine with a light weight blanket. In fact this morning it's hot and humid and the windows are all fogged up because it's so much cooler in here.

What exactly would a neurologist look at that might cause night sweats?

I'm going to an ENT because of some dizzy spells and possible inner ear blockage and the GP put me on Betahistine a couple of weeks ago. Dizzy spells are a lot better.

Danalex

Post by Danalex » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Julie wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:54 am
There are a couple of conditions where you would sweat a lot that have nothing to do with apnea, but you should get a referral to a neurologist or endocrinologist to let them see what's going on.

But don't assume that a Covid test 'last year' will have any meaningful insight now into things if you e.g. caught Covid even 3 months ago.
I've had other covid tests since then, before gall bladder surgery and recently before a wedding the beginning of July so I'm pretty sure it's not covid but anything is possible. If it was I'd know it by now as the symptoms would be worse