Mouth breathing no matter what, desperate

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ruinednose

Mouth breathing no matter what, desperate

Post by Ruinednose » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Hello all!

I've searched around the threads for the open mouth and saw and did many things like different types of chinstraps, tongue positioning

I wake up with very dry mouth many times a night, even when using xylimelts, I'm sort of afraid to tape the mouth? Should I? Or is it best to switch to full face mask?

Julie

Re: Mouth breathing no matter what, desperate

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Yes.

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Personally, I would NEVER consider mouth taping, but it works for some. Have you tried a cervical collar?

Ruinednose

Post by Ruinednose » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:28 pm

ragtopcircus wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:27 pm
Personally, I would NEVER consider mouth taping, but it works for some. Have you tried a cervical collar?
Hello, thanks for response to all

I haven't even heard of that. I will not tape my mouth as I'm scared too.
How does this cervical collar work for you?

Additional I have quite the aerophagia and morning farts due to it

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Ruinednose wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:11 pm
Hello all!

I've searched around the threads for the open mouth and saw and did many things like different types of chinstraps, tongue positioning

I wake up with very dry mouth many times a night, even when using xylimelts, I'm sort of afraid to tape the mouth? Should I? Or is it best to switch to full face mask?
I had this problem too. Full face mask, and a chinstrap to help me keep my mouth closed solved the problem. You need a chinstrap, because even if you have a full face mask, if your mouth gapes open, your lower lip will likely get past the bottom of the mask cushion.
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Ruinednose

Post by Ruinednose » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:49 pm

andy88488 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:40 pm
Ruinednose wrote:
Hello all!

I had this problem too. Full face mask, and a chinstrap to help me keep my mouth closed solved the problem. You need a chinstrap, because even if you have a full face mask, if your mouth gapes open, your lower lip will likely get past the bottom of the mask cushion.
Ok thanks so much, any recommendations for a good chin strap?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Try chin up strips.
When properly applied, they will make mouth breathing awkward, but not impossible.
I can even talk with one on--but it looks hilarious.

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:06 pm

I have to think this is a unique situation and should not be considered the "Norm". I'm a mouth breather and have been on full face mask since beginning cpap over 2 years ago. The point to wearing full face is precisely because of being a mouth breather, a chin strap shouldn't be necessary. All masks fit everyone's face differently so I can't rule out the possibility of the bottom of the mouth slipping out of the mask, though it sounds as if the headgear wasn't adjusted properly, and the crown strap was too tight, pulling the mask upwards against the face.

When I was using the Amara View, the corners of my mouth would occasionally fall out the side of the mask, but never the bottom. That was just due to the very small amount of cushion contact on the face. Half the battle of wearing full face is learning how to nail the headgear adjustment and not over-tightening, this makes all the difference.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol:

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Ruinednose wrote:
Hello all!

a firm foam collar to keep your jaw up. and instead of taping, may i suggest-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

i use the scunics and the collar in combination. i've modified it a touch, but's basically as jay describes it in the link. it works for me with my p10 pillow mask.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:58 pm

I am a mouth breather also, & am currently using a nasal/ pillow mask with the Ruby chin strap. I have both cushions for the N30i/P30i. I have tried just about every chin strap on the market & found the Ruby to be perfect for me. My best fitting/no leaking Full face mask is the F30. I am hoping Resmed will eventually make the F30i so I can ditch the chin strap altogether. I prefer the hose placement on the top of my head. I did not need a chin strap with the F30 but did need a chin strap when using the Dreamwear FF mask. Liners were not enough to prevent leaking, had to use a chin strap as well, and I did try adjusting it a zillion times and could never make the Dreamwear line of products work for me without the liners & chin straps. I seem to be a Resmed girl. as long as it is the F30 or N30i/P30i. Did not like the F20 or any mask that covers my entire nose. You may have to experiment with several chins straps, or take the other suggestions others have posted, or find a full face mask that you can tolerate without needing liners or a chin strap. My objection to liners is personal. They all made me itch, even the best ones that I tried from Pad a Cheek. Good luck!
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.

Ruinednose

Post by Ruinednose » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Becca8104 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:58 pm
I am a mouth breather also, & am currently using a nasal/ pillow mask with the Ruby chin strap. I have both cushions for the N30i/P30i. I have tried just about every chin strap on the market & found the Ruby to be perfect for me. My best fitting/no leaking Full face mask is the F30. I am hoping Resmed will eventually make the F30i so I can ditch the chin strap altogether. I prefer the hose placement on the top of my head. I did not need a chin strap with the F30 but did need a chin strap when using the Dreamwear FF mask. Liners were not enough to prevent leaking, had to use a chin strap as well, and I did try adjusting it a zillion times and could never make the Dreamwear line of products work for me without the liners & chin straps. I seem to be a Resmed girl. as long as it is the F30 or N30i/P30i. Did not like the F20 or any mask that covers my entire nose. You may have to experiment with several chins straps, or take the other suggestions others have posted, or find a full face mask that you can tolerate without needing liners or a chin strap. My objection to liners is personal. They all made me itch, even the best ones that I tried from Pad a Cheek. Good luck!
I don't understand what a liner is and it's function

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:36 am

Do you have other reasons besides dry mouth to believe you are mouth breathing? Is your data showing leaks? Just asking because not all dry mouth comes from mouth breathing. I have a very dry mouth, but I haven't been a mouth breather for years. I think mine is because when we are intentionally keeping our mouth shut there is very little movement, and it is movement that stimulates saliva. My dry mouth is much better than it used to be, but I've kinda just resigned myself to a degree of dry mouth. If you are mouth breathing, by all means, do address it. Just wanted to mention that one symptom isn't definitive.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:50 am

Ruinednose wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:49 pm

I've been using https://www.cpap.com/productpage/deluxe ... -mouthleak for years. Btw, I did try taping my mouth and using a nasal mask, and I couldn't get it to work.
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:55 am

andy88488 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:50 am
Ruinednose wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:49 pm

I've been using https://www.cpap.com/productpage/deluxe ... -mouthleak for years. Btw, I did try taping my mouth and using a nasal mask, and I couldn't get it to work.
which is why i recommend scuncis rather than tape.

but what works for me may not work for thee and so on.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

apuaplz

Post by apuaplz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:16 pm

I see that you do not like the tape idea. I really abhorred and avoided it, too, but in desperation tried the somnifix sleep strips. The reason I relented is because they claim you can release the strips by opening your mouth (forcefully). This does seem to be true. While I still wish I did not have to use tape, I do find these comfortable and effective. I'm hoping that magically they will train me to keep my mouth shut, but who knows.

Good luck--I know these things are trying!