SoClean 2 thoughts opinions??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
liquidzblu

SoClean 2 thoughts opinions??

Post by liquidzblu » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:11 am

Does anyone have this machine is it worth it??

MrsRinPDX

Re: SoClean 2 thoughts opinions??

Post by MrsRinPDX » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:26 am

Welcome to the forum.

You've picked a doozy of a topic. May I suggest you search SoClean in the box just below "Cpaptalk.com" and prepare for the onslaught of replies.

Wishing you the best in your CPAP journey,

MrsRinPDX

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:33 am

My opinion is that it is a waste of money. I see that the maker has started bombarding the local channel here that airs Gunsmoke. You can wipe off facial oils and any bacteria with baby wipes..... then.... occasionally wash your mask with Dawn or some other favorite soap. It's your money, but you don't need SoClean.

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:13 am

liquidzblu wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:11 am
Well I guess it all depends on what YOU think constitutes "worth it".
It's YOUR money, YOUR time and YOUR choice.
You don't tell me how to spend my money and I won't tell you how to spend yours...fair enough???

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=172769&p=1266282&hi ... n#p1266282

This thread is huge and but one of many like that....
viewtopic/t157842/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... 9#p1210375
pay special attention to flightco's comments

viewtopic/t172326/SoClean2-and-damage-t ... it=SoClean

viewtopic/t172002/Has-anyone-used-the-S ... it=SoClean

viewtopic/t171907/SoClean-2-Am-I-a-suck ... it=SoClean

It doesn't "clean" anything if you are like me and think "cleaning" involves removing dirt, facial oils, grime, snot, slobber, drool, etc. Those things need soap and water to actually remove them.
Now assuming it actually sanitizes anything...and I say assuming because I am not so sure that the machine produces enough ozone to kill anything....all you end up with it snot, slobber, facial oils, dirt, grime etc that has been sanitize or nuke so it shouldn't be a home for germs and bacteria. SoClean actually tells you that you still have to wash the gunk off the mask and equipment first and they are so kind as to offer to sell you just a solution to remove the gunk.

So you still need to manual remove or clean your equipment if you want the dirt, slobber, snot, facial oils removed from your equipment.

Sanitizing doesn't equal cleaning or removing anything....and that's assuming it actually sanitizes anything.

All that said there are some forum members here who use it but they are in a minority. The bulk of the members here consider it a waste of money.
Me...when someone comes up with something that actually "cleans" as in removes the dirt, slobber, snot, gunk, whatever so I don't have to take 5 seconds of my time to wash with soap and water...I might think about buying one if I have nothing else I want to spend my money on and I always have a list of more important items I want to spend my money on.

Personally I have a huge problem with their ads because they simply state things that aren't true and are impossible to do...makes me wonder where else they are stretching the truth.
I saw an ad where they say they "sanitize the air"...that's impossible because once the ozone is turned off (again assuming it nukes anything) you end up getting the same room air you always get going through the machine. There is no way in the world to sanitize the air itself barring because you have to keep bringing in fresh room air when you use the cpap machine.

Now if I had a medical problem where my immune system was compromised in some fashion and I wanted to do everything in my power to reduce any chances of bacteria or germs harming me...I might consider some sort of sanitizing agent for my equipment but it wouldn't be the SoClean because of their scare mongering and lies in their ads. I might consider one of those UV producing devices to nuke any germs or bacteria.

But it's YOUR money and YOUR time and you get to do whatever YOU want.

If you came here just to promote the SoClean device...you are shooting yourself in the foot because you are going to get more negative responses than positive.

I have a couple of good friends who use it...hey...it's their money and if it makes them happy then I am all for it.
They don't try to get me to change my mind about it and I don't try to change their minds about it either. Not my job to dictate how someone does anything or what they spend their money on.
Not their job to tell me what to do either.

Our job here is to educate and let the person decide what they want to do.
99% of the forum members here will consider it a scam and waste of money. The other 1 %...hey, if it gives them peace of mind for any reason and makes them happy...more power to them.
Me...they make claims they can't uphold. It doesn't clean...it maybe sanitizes some stuff but it sure as hell can't sanitize the air you breathe all night and that is my biggest complaint with the product. False advertising makes me wonder what else is false about what they claim to do.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Stom

Post by Stom » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:29 am

If you look at the technical manuals for ResMed masks for reprocessing them for re-use by different patients, there are a number of different validated methods, none of which include ozone treatment. They use chemical, heat or hydrogen peroxide *gas plasma* technology (not just hydrogen peroxide). Ozone is not one of their validated methods.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

djams

Post by djams » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:01 am

I've never seen one of these until this morning - intro ad for a YouTube video, explaining how "easy it was to use on an airsense 10"

Damn thing's enormous sitting next to a sleek little A10. Right there is reason enough for me to not even consider it.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 am

Run away as fast as you can!
Baby shampoo cleans better and costs almost nothing.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 am

I got a little ozone device on ebay for about 20 dollars. I didn't get it for my cpap but my hose fits the output port perfectly. I don't know anything about a so clean so I can't compare them at all. I used it in my fridg for odors because I have bad back problems and I imagine odors and can't clean often enough to suit myself. I do use baking soda too.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Stormynights wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 am
I got a little ozone device on ebay for about 20 dollars. I didn't get it for my cpap but my hose fits the output port perfectly. I don't know anything about a so clean so I can't compare them at all. I used it in my fridg for odors because I have bad back problems and I imagine odors and can't clean often enough to suit myself. I do use baking soda too.
Borax is also very good for absorbing odors. My sister got a free fridge awhile back, and it had a musty smell to it. She put baking sheets on each shelf with borax on it. Within a day or two, it smelled fine.

I also use it in the carpets to kill small bugs like fleas (dries them out). Here in the NW, 2-3 times a year is all we need. Only one case of fleas in the last 10 years, and that was after sharing a hotel room with a friend whose cats had fleas (I saw her putting the medication on them in the hotel room). If you live in the south, probably 3-5 times per year would be better. Just sprinkle it lightly, and sweep into the carpet. Wait a day to vacuum. Also good in furniture, such as under the couch cushions.

Back on topic... I see no reason to buy something to clean my mask. I use a baby wipe to remove any drool, facial oil, as well as any cat hair that floated by (really do't need a tickle factory in my mask). And if it seems to be worse, I wash the cushion with some dawn, rinse, and pat dry with a paper towel. All good.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Stom

Post by Stom » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:07 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:06 pm
Borax is also very good for absorbing odors. My sister got a free fridge awhile back, and it had a musty smell to it. She put baking sheets on each shelf with borax on it. Within a day or two, it smelled fine.

I also use it in the carpets to kill small bugs like fleas (dries them out). Here in the NW, 2-3 times a year is all we need. Only one case of fleas in the last 10 years, and that was after sharing a hotel room with a friend whose cats had fleas (I saw her putting the medication on them in the hotel room). If you live in the south, probably 3-5 times per year would be better. Just sprinkle it lightly, and sweep into the carpet. Wait a day to vacuum. Also good in furniture, such as under the couch cushions.
Borax is useful but people need to keep in mind that it kills bugs because it is toxic. Ingestion of a few grams of Borax can accidentally kill your pets.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Stom wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:07 pm
zoocrewphoto wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Borax is useful but people need to keep in mind that it kills bugs because it is toxic. Ingestion of a few grams of Borax can accidentally kill your pets.
We don't throw it around. There is a little bit in the air, but settles quickly. We have been using for over 20 years.Never fewer than 2 dogs and 3 cats (plus 5+ turtles roaming loose on the main floor). It is the main ingredient of the powder that the company "Flea Busters" puts into carpets. It absorbs moisture and dries out small bugs. It gives dry feet to people and pets walking on it. Borax is safe in small amounts. Keep in mind that is similar, but not the same as boric acid.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:14 pm

liquidzblu wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:11 am
No and no.

No manufacturer endorses it or recommends it, and neither do I.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:08 am

I wash my hair with borax. One tablespoon in a glass of hot water and use only what dissolves. You just pour that off and use it. I have really long hair and it works great for me. Just rinse it in and rinse it out. It keeps my hair from getting tangled. I know this sounds silly but it is amazing.

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:05 am

Being a career law enforcement officer and Detective, I've got a nose for things that don't smell quite right. After looking at all of the information on the SoClean, including the scientific research study that was conducted by paid laboratories (By SoClean), I walked away with an awful stench in my nose...

...it smelled like burning money. I don't like that smell.

You can easily achieve better results with actual cleaning. Warm water, some Dawn dish soap and baby wipes go a long way, and they don't leave behind the stench of burning money.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:41 am

Given that virtually all manufacturers of any product in any category of any industry looks carefully and diligently for add-on products and/or services to increase their sales and profits - why are there no ResMed "CleanItZone" or Respironics "Ozone2U"? Maybe (probably) because they wouldn't work and would be more trouble than they would be worth.